2014 Colorado Championships 7/31 - 8/3 | Golden Skate

2014 Colorado Championships 7/31 - 8/3

samson

Medalist
Another great crowd of skaters. Between this and Glacier Falls we'll be getting a ton of US programs debuts!!

2A3TMom

Rinkside
I've been looking to see what Junior and Senior Ladies plan to skate. Do you have that info to share, as well? Looking in particular for one NA Junior - Olivia Serafini. Heard after Nationals that she was shopping coaches. Is she somewhere other than SCoNY?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I've been looking to see what Junior and Senior Ladies plan to skate. Do you have that info to share, as well? Looking in particular for one NA Junior - Olivia Serafini. Heard after Nationals that she was shopping coaches. Is she somewhere other than SCoNY?

Olivia Serafini is one of the Junior Ladies in Sylvia's post in the Glacier Falls thread.

ETA, Serafini has won the Junior Ladies SP at Glacier Falls.

Marisha92

Rinkside
I went to the CO Championships both days and had a great time. Max did an amazing short - great music pick to Footloose. He did a clean (in my view) quad toe, double toe, triple axel, triple lutz. People will be dancing in their seats to this music, enjoyed the choreography, too. He made some mistakes on the long, but the music as again amazing (Gladiator- I believe Yagudin skated to it) and it will only get better. The only other Sr. man in the competition was Lukas Kaugers, who also did quite well- wonderful short to Frank Sinatra medley.

I also watched the Sr. pairs and what a great Sr. debut for Maddie Aaron and Max Settlage! I look forward to their grand prix event in Canada. Alexa Scimeca and Chris Knierim were truly amazing- loved their programs. I think they are one of the top if not the top US pairs this season.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I went to the CO Championships both days and had a great time. Max did an amazing short - great music pick to Footloose. He did a clean (in my view) quad toe, double toe, triple axel, triple lutz. People will be dancing in their seats to this music, enjoyed the choreography, too. He made some mistakes on the long, but the music as again amazing (Gladiator- I believe Yagudin skated to it) and it will only get better. The only other Sr. man in the competition was Lukas Kaugers, who also did quite well- wonderful short to Frank Sinatra medley.

I also watched the Sr. pairs and what a great Sr. debut for Maddie Aaron and Max Settlage! I look forward to their grand prix event in Canada. Alexa Scimeca and Chris Knierim were truly amazing- loved their programs. I think they are one of the top if not the top US pairs this season.

Thanks so much for your report, Marisha!! So happy to hear about everyone doing well.

If you don't mind a couple of questions:
The IN article about Max said that his Gladiator music would include dialogue. Because you liked his FS music, is it safe to say that the dialogue "worked" for you? How much dialogue did Max include??

Thanks again. :)

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I went to the CO Championships both days and had a great time. Max did an amazing short - great music pick to Footloose. He did a clean (in my view) quad toe, double toe, triple axel, triple lutz.
Thanks for your report! :) Tom Zakrajsek, who is in California this week, tweeted that Aaron scored a personal best 83.77 in his SP yesterday (Becky Calvin coached him there).

Marisha92

Rinkside
There really wasn't much dialogue in the Gladiator music and it was mainly at the beginning. It's very powerful music with some fighting moves and I thought it worked great for Max. I was also worried about the dialogue, but I thought it flowed very well with the music. There were definitely words in his Footloose short, but how can you listen to that song without words?! Max made Kevin Bacon proud!

Thanks so much for your report, Marisha!! So happy to hear about everyone doing well.

If you don't mind a couple of questions:
The IN article about Max said that his Gladiator music would include dialogue. Because you liked his FS music, is it safe to say that the dialogue "worked" for you? How much dialogue did Max include??

Thanks again. :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
There really wasn't much dialogue in the Gladiator music and it was mainly at the beginning. It's very powerful music with some fighting moves and I thought it worked great for Max. I was also worried about the dialogue, but I thought it flowed very well with the music. There were definitely words in his Footloose short, but how can you listen to that song without words?! Max made Kevin Bacon proud!

Thanks for replying to my questions, M92. :)

Appreciate the reassurance that Max and Camerlengo were judicious with the dialogue and are using it effectively. :cool:

Sounds as if Pillay is a good addition to Max's dream team as well. :yay:

Marisha92

Rinkside
Alexei Yagudin's Gladiator from 2001 Worlds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwy-pNScPA4

I saw that they were videotaping the CO Champs, so maybe there will be a video of Max's Gladiator for comparison. Max wasn't wearing a costume for either one of his programs and it will be interesting to see the finished product.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!

I'm so excited for this. And sooooooo jealous that you've seen it already! I hope there are videos soon!

As soon as Lukas dropped the Sinatra hint I thought that was a pretty great match. So glad to hear it!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Alexei Yagudin's Gladiator from 2001 Worlds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwy-pNScPA4

I saw that they were videotaping the CO Champs, so maybe there will be a video of Max's Gladiator for comparison. Max wasn't wearing a costume for either one of his programs and it will be interesting to see the finished product.

Was it an actual recording camera or just the one for the tech panel? :)

Marisha92

Rinkside
Was it an actual recording camera or just the one for the tech panel? :)

Good question! I'm not sure what the difference is, but it looked like it was an actual camera. I suppose I could have recorded it with my iphone, but I was too busy watching it.

TreSk8sAZ

Spectator
Almost all local competitions are videotaped and skaters have the ability to buy their video from the vendor. That's likely the camera you saw. Since it was a summer competition it is unlikely they will put the videos up on IceNetwork, although they may be putting some of Glacier's on so who knows for sure. You may find someone videoed it and puts it on Youtube, though.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Usually at club competitions there is a video company that records each performance and sells the videos (usually DVDs) to the competitors. The videographers pay a fee for the privilege of being official vendors; vendor fees are a significant source of income for the host clubs, along with entry fees, to offset the costs of renting ice time and housing and feeding officials and reimbursing their travel expenses.

Small club competitions with few IJS-level entries (juvenile/adult gold and above in the US) will often score those few events on paper, without renting a computer system, in which case there is no video replay for the technical panel and they just have to agree on what they saw in real time.

Larger competitions, or if the club is wealthy enough to own its own computer system, will often use the video from the commercial videographer fed into the computer for the official reviews.

At a big important official competition like Nationals, there might be separate cameras for the official video and for the videos available for sale as well as network cameras for television broadcast.

Whether the official scoring video and the commercial videos sold to competitors are from the same or different sources, neither of them is intended for broadcast. Occasionally a skater or fan who buys the videos may post them on youtube; the videographers generally don't have time to seek out these violations of their copyright to demand they be taken down.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The computer system can also be used without video replay. :yes:

Olympic

On the Ice

Any details on S/K???

Marisha92

Rinkside
Any details on S/K???
I'm sorry, I didn't take notes and I don't know what music they used. I just know that I've never seen them skate live before this competition and I couldn't believe how wonderful and elegant and polished they were. And they've never won Sr. Nationals?!! I hope this is their season. I was with some friends who are not necessarily figure skating fans and they were completely blown away by S/K.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
I'm sorry, I didn't take notes and I don't know what music they used. I just know that I've never seen them skate live before this competition and I couldn't believe how wonderful and elegant and polished they were. And they've never won Sr. Nationals?!! I hope this is their season. I was with some friends who are not necessarily figure skating fans and they were completely blown away by S/K.

Alexa and Chris only started skating together in April 2012, so this coming season is only their 3rd together. They got silver in their first season together after a nice win at Coupe de Nice (which led to a GP assignment!) and a Worlds spot after Denney/Coughlin withdrew. This past season dealt with some injury issues and they got 4th, missing out on Sochi.