Women and the Quad

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
there are some more too...

like Timothy Goebel
Gogolov (12 y o from Canada)
Sandovsky (junior now senior from Canada)
Toman (Canadian guy, (Mr. Alaine Chartrand :biggrin:) never seen him land his quads but he attempts one 4t and one 4s in each program (sp lp), never both of them.. as if he is working on both at the same time until he gets one stable)

just on top of my head like that.. and I am sure there are many many more that I haven't followed nor ever heard about ;)

mrrice

Record Breaker
Canadians, Do you think Gabby could land a quad? Her Jumps seem quite big to me. I've never had the pleasure of seeing her in person.

sarama

Medalist
It's true that allowing a quads in the SP would be a great incentive, even though I doubt girls would be keen on doing a quad in combo or out of steps. Anyway I think it's already a huge advantage to include it in a FS because it allows the girls to basically keep the same BV plus the quad, for example something like this: 4sal, 3lz3t, 3lz, 3f, 3lo1/2lo3sal, 2a3t, 2a. So I believe it is rewarded enough especially since all the top ladies have basically the same BV, therefore adding like 10 points would be a huge advantage!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Thanks Yatagarasu, I cringe every time I see a man set up for Sal because it brings up terrible memories from my skating days. It's such a pretty jump when it's done well but.....To me, they represent pain and disappointment.

I'm on this bandwagon. The Salchow is an evil jump.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I just checked and you know who has a really good quad Sal......Max Arron. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FiBCsLjBHo
I don't know why I get so irritated by Tara's commentary but, I hate the way she sounds during Max's program. Anyway, Here's Max landing a Gorgeous Quad Sal, Triple Toe at Nationals...:bow:

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
rochette did in practice... 4t...

what i heard is that alaine and gabby were working on the 3a... that's really what can help ladies within the current rules... alaine was attempting it in competitions last year... but it derailed her entire program after the hard falls so she stopped this year...

i think gabby could do a 4t.... but i don't know if it's part of any plan
Canadians, Do you think Gabby could land a quad? Her Jumps seem quite big to me. I've never had the pleasure of seeing her in person.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Evgenia tried the 4S and she could fight but she also said that you can see when a jump is not your own.

I think Eteri also said in a recent interview that we will see a new girl from her group able to land 4S or 3A.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Roman Savosin and Daisuke Murakami are doing quad Sals too. I think there few skaters who already has good 4T that are trying 4S. I really count on Elizabet Tursynabeava to get the quad in the future. Many complain about her being so small (like she can change that :rolleye: ), but isn't that perfect type of body to learn quad? ;) I definitely cheer for her to get it!

moriel

Record Breaker
I wish they would tweak the rules for ladies to allow 3-3-3 combinations.
That would raise the BV and maybe encourage ladies to try 3A and quads.

On the bright side, recently, many ladies started trying and training 3A, which means we will see more of it soon.
The quads will start coming as soon as the BV raises a bit more.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
All these years, the only lady who could legitimately do quad jump is Midori. She usually rotated triple with enough height for another revolution. And when she practiced quad, she got injured.

I don't think we will see women with quads anytime soon. Miki is lucky to get her quad ratified because it required a very lenient tech panel and the right mood. All of her quads look short and she only did a few in her long career.

mcq

Record Breaker
I actually think with the way Medvedeva is scored now, it will encourage more ladies to do 3A and maybe quad. Kind of a flashback of how Chiddy being ahead of everyone in TES, PCS and GOE back in the days encourage more men to up their tech; because the only way to beat him when he is clean is to have higher tech than him.
I am thinking a layout like this : 3A 3A2T/3Lz3T 3Lz 3F 3Lo 2A1lo3S would have insane BV. This is even without including a quad. But unless someone can land it quite consistently (>50% success rate?), I doubt it will really encourage the rest of the girls in the field to follow suit, because they will still lose to those who land all their jumps (w/o 3A or quad) consistently.

P.S : looks like gabby can land a quad. She got insane height on her 3Ts. Maybe with a tighter air position and faster rotational speed she can do it. But she still got homework on her triples so I doubt she will even think about training a quad.

bobbob

Medalist
Has anyone noticed that the top tier of ladies skating hasn't really advanced in ~25 years? Like 25 years ago, look at mens and pairs vs today...WOW major improvements in skating skills, jumps obviously with quads all around, many new quads landed for mens. But the ladies haven't really landed any new jumps and even though 3-3s have become more prevalent they had already been landed and no new jumps are being introduced. All the ladies at the top practically have the same content which ladies 25 years ago could have conceivably done. Makes me wonder if mens skating will also stagnate, at say, all 5 quads (not axel).

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Has anyone noticed that the top tier of ladies skating hasn't really advanced in ~25 years? Like 25 years ago, look at mens and pairs vs today...WOW major improvements in skating skills, jumps obviously with quads all around, many new quads landed for mens. But the ladies haven't really landed any new jumps and even though 3-3s have become more prevalent they had already been landed and no new jumps are being introduced. All the ladies at the top practically have the same content which ladies 25 years ago could have conceivably done. Makes me wonder if mens skating will also stagnate, at say, all 5 quads (not axel).

Well, i must say different opinion on that... Yes, we saw men doing quads, but we rarely saw those quads are safely landing. And i don't agree ladies didn't improve. To compare, if i was a judge at the Sochi and if i had a right to choose, i would give 3 gold medals to the ladies - Sotnikova, Kim and Kostner and none medal to the man

Last edited:

moriel

Record Breaker

I would disagree. just looking back, in 2014 you could be on Olympic podium with 6 triples.
Today, this is unthinkable.

bobbob

Medalist
I would disagree. just looking back, in 2014 you could be on Olympic podium with 6 triples.
Today, this is unthinkable.

You can still be on the olympic podium with 6 triples?...and that was Yu-Na....if she comes back and does 6 triples in South Korea she would still be on the podium (center of it, likely), believe me.

I'm saying there were many ladies 25 years ago that could do the same technical content as now, certainly not as many but there were many. No men or pairs team 25 years ago could do the same technical content or (for pairs) execute it as well.

sheetz

Record Breaker
The trend nowadays is towards slim skaters who rotate quickly in the air, however in the past there were some extremely muscular and powerful skaters like Ito, Harding, and Bonaly who could do some amazing jumps.

When you watch Harding's 3A it really puts to shame the feeble attempts you see from the female skaters nowadays.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOP3Dj0DraQ&t=45s