Women and the Quad | Page 40 | Golden Skate

Women and the Quad

Krislite

Medalist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8607LhRBMA
Valieva's first competition quad :biggrin:

P.S.: btw, some people calculated already that her 4T has about 64cm height :shocked: :slink:

Lovely program choreography. And that quad toe looked so effortless at the beginning I thought was a triple toe. :shocked: I thought the era of ladies quad might never arrive but now it seems the juniors field has several skaters landing them in competition.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7dDtsi1wrw
Liu's first jumps in her Aurora Games performance are 4Lz, 3A+2T, 3A.
All of them are URed, I think. You can see it yourself though and compare it with Valieva's quads :rolleye:
Nevertheless she will be more stronger rival for her than I thought - considering new rules and possible judging bias - she can get lots of points even for URed quads (and some of URs probably will be missed by tech panel too - she learned to hide her landings in Miyahara's manner already). And she is consistent, in good form and used to high pressure and attention as I see.

cell

On the Ice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7dDtsi1wrw
Liu's first jumps in her Aurora Games performance are 4Lz, 3A+2T, 3A.
All of them are URed, I think. You can see it yourself though and compare it with Valieva's quads :rolleye:
Nevertheless she will be more stronger rival for her than I thought - considering new rules and possible judging bias - she can get lots of points even for URed quads (and some of URs probably will be missed by tech panel too - she learned to hide her landings in Miyahara's manner already). And she is consistent, in good form and used to high pressure and attention as I see.

3A-2T looked rotated. The other 2 were <

Elucidus

Match Penalty
3A-2T looked rotated. The other 2 were <
Ok, Also I can't help but notice that Alisa's quad is above one place - it reminds me how 4Lo is looking. She is jumping it upwards - and not forward. I wonder why is that?

natsulian

Final Flight
3A+2T is rotated, 4Lz is < but still much better than the ones she did a few months ago, and the second 3A is a LITTLE under (borderline because there was a video from a better angle and it looked around). They need to take out the ambitious transitions going into the second 3A because it makes it so challenging for her to pull off the height and rotations. As for Liu’s other triples, learning a quad made them quite clean. Sill, both Valieva and Liu have the most aesthetically unpleasant 3Lz+3T with the wonky landings. Still so much room for both to improve.

Ok, Also I can't help but notice that Alisa's quad is above one place - it reminds me how 4Lo is looking. She is jumping it upwards - and not forward.

I agree with this observation. If her jumps were longer as well as high she would be able to get better flow out of the landings.

Still, for this kind of an event her performance was astonishing. I for one am willing to hold back the critical analysis until she has a couple of major international junior competitions under her belt. Otherwise, so far, so good.

DenissVFan

Medalist
I really enjoyed Alysa's performance yesterday but the quad was questionable. It's weird that usfigureskating decided to post this video to celebrate this achievement: https://www.instagram.com/p/B1kGFzIgl7M/?igshid=1w0rhtfr050uc. It only brings more attention to the landing. One would think they would rather try to hide it.

It'd be great to see her land an improved quad later on this season, so good luck to her.

ruga

Final Flight
Alyssa's quad is bit under (I'm not a big underrotation expert, but I see that more than a half of her blade is on the ice at 1/4 mark), but a lenient panel may as well ignore it. But it's already an improvement from what I have seen and she would still get 8-8.5 pts for underrotated 4Lz provided that she lands it (and she does so with an enormous success rate for such jump).

... she would still get 8-8.5 pts for underrotated 4Lz provided that she lands it.

That is an interesting point. The IJS scale of values lists a separate base value for a 4Lz<, as if it were, for scoring purposes, a different jump altogether from either a 3Lz or a 4Lz. The base vale for the 4Lz< jump is 9.20 (considerably higher than a fully rotated triple Axel, for instance).

In fact, the base value for a 4Lz< (3.75 revolutions or so) is pretty much exactly half-way between the base value for a triple Axel (3.5 revolutions) and a 4Lz (4.0 revolutions), which has some sort of logic to it, I guess.

Anyway, the three jumps 4Lz, 3A< and another 3A< adds up (before GOE) to 22.00 points. To beat that a quadster without a triple Axel would have to do 4T, 4S, 2A = 22.50.

Last edited: