Women and the Quad | Page 49 | Golden Skate

Women and the Quad

Arbitrary

Medalist
This thread is about quads, who are actually in competitive possession of quads this season?
We have seen Liu’s, Trusova’s, Shcherbakova’s, Akat’yeva’s?

Test skates being sort of open control trainings count as competitive for me.

Currently only Tursenbayeva (injured), Shcherbakova (low success rate) and Trusova are with quads among Seniors. And only Lilibeth actually succeeded in competitions.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
The ISU really needs to think about restructuring of PCS scoring so it could be more aligned with the technical. It has been an issue with the men and I think it will be more prevalent of and issue with the ladies as well. In the current system the TES outweighs the PCS so hard that it does not make sense for skaters to improve their SS, they have to jump well and they will win.

I would like to see that change so we could watch beautiful skating rewarded as well.

That would make sense, especially cause Trusova's free program base value is almost 70 and skating clean she will surpass 100 points in TES easily. Clean Kihira can score 90 in the free and 48 in TES SP. Factoring PCS in ladies with at least 0.9 in short and 1.8 in the free (to make both marks equally important, as it was ISU philosophy from the begining) is inevitable at this point of time, in my opinion. Editing: As it will be allowing quads in SP too :biggrin:

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Currently only Tursenbayeva (injured), Shcherbakova (low success rate) and Trusova are with quads among Seniors. And only Lilibeth actually succeeded in competitions.

so junior competitions are not considered now?:sarcasm:

Arbitrary

Medalist
so junior competitions are not considered now?:sarcasm:
Wasn't considered ever.
Juniors cannot participate in four majors: EC, 4CC, WC, OG.

So, sorry, we have only one quadster and few candidates. Have to wait till ISU tournaments begin... soon...

lzxnl

Final Flight
I think she skates like a guy. And I kinda love that about her. Why not? She really is the Simone Biles of figure skating.

To me, any skater who wants to 'skate like a guy' needs three triple axels and a quad or two. I don't doubt that Trusova will achieve that, but she hasn't yet.

To me, any skater who wants to 'skate like a guy' needs three triple axels and a quad or two. I don't doubt that Trusova will achieve that, but she hasn't yet.

Still, there are plenty of guys who don't present 4T+3T, 4T and 4Lz in a free program.

I do think the point is well taken that Trusova "skates like an athlete" in contrast to some of the youngsters who rely on tiny size and extreme flexibility to whip their bodies around in the air.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I think she skates like a guy. And I kinda love that about her. Why not? She really is the Simone Biles of figure skating.

On one of the Russian boards it was said if Aleksandra does a fourth quad and a Triksel, she can compete in the men and save Russia's single men's figure skating ;-)

ruga

Final Flight
Today I thought about whether quads should be included in the SP. Correct me if I'm wrong but by the time 3A was allowed, there was only one active woman jumping it. So if next season all girls who have included quads in their layouts (Rika, Anna, Sasha, Lilibet) land them, ISU should consider allowing them in the SP.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The ISU really needs to think about restructuring of PCS scoring so it could be more aligned with the technical. It has been an issue with the men and I think it will be more prevalent of and issue with the ladies as well. In the current system the TES outweighs the PCS so hard that it does not make sense for skaters to improve their SS, they have to jump well and they will win.

I would like to see that change so we could watch beautiful skating rewarded as well.

I agree. But will the ISU change the rules in the middle of an Olympic quad? I kind of doubt it.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I just happened to catch recently a made-for-TV movie, the Simone Biles story. One thing that struck me was her coach (or someone) saying the presentation aspect of the scoring was capped but the sky was the limit on tech. I think we are seeing the same thing in skating now.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Today I thought about whether quads should be included in the SP. Correct me if I'm wrong but by the time 3A was allowed, there was only one active woman jumping it. So if next season all girls who have included quads in their layouts (Rika, Anna, Sasha, Lilibet) land them, ISU should consider allowing them in the SP.

As jenaj said, if it were to happen I think the change would occur after the Olympics. While Mao was the only active woman doing the 3A when it was allowed as the axel jump in the SP, it was still a jump that had been landed by a handful of skaters through the years since 1989. For me, I'd like to see more senior skaters land the quad before making the change. It gives the competitor a huge advantage to do it in the SP and if it's a jump that most skaters lose by 17 or 18, it could result in young skaters dominating the sport for a very short period. I hope more champions can have long careers like Yuna, Mao, Alina, and Evgenia because I think it's better for the sport to have familiar faces competing for the top spots.

lzxnl

Final Flight
On one of the Russian boards it was said if Aleksandra does a fourth quad and a Triksel, she can compete in the men and save Russia's single men's figure skating ;-)

You know, if Trusova really wants to do that, I'd love to see how she'd be scored against the men. With a triple axel, she could definitely be competitive technically, although to compete with Yuzuru and Nathan, she would need her 4S back, or a 4F. (which is kinda scary because she could totally do that...)

As mentioned above, probably next Olympic cycle. Maybe by then, ladies' and men's technical content, at the highest level, will be somewhat comparable.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
You know, if Trusova really wants to do that, I'd love to see how she'd be scored against the men. With a triple axel, she could definitely be competitive technically, although to compete with Yuzuru and Nathan, she would need her 4S back, or a 4F. (which is kinda scary because she could totally do that...)

It wouldn't really be close. The quality of the skating among the top men and their execution of the jump and footwork elements is in a different universe. The women can spin better, though.

Elucidus

Match Penalty

That would make sense, especially cause Trusova's free program base value is almost 70 and skating clean she will surpass 100 points in TES easily. Clean Kihira can score 90 in the free and 48 in TES SP. Factoring PCS in ladies with at least 0.9 in short and 1.8 in the free (to make both marks equally important, as it was ISU philosophy from the begining) is inevitable at this point of time, in my opinion. Editing: As it will be allowing quads in SP too :biggrin:

Unfortunately they are not gonna bother with it since they intend to butcher the system with artistic program's abomination instead.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Nathan doesn’t usually do three 3A - does he not ‘skate like a guy’?

Sasha is a phenomenal athlete, regardless.