Women and the Quad | Page 50 | Golden Skate

Women and the Quad

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker

Love this, and the happy, radiant and relaxed Alina. In fact all of the Amazing Aces seemed to be very relaxed, relishing their power, basking in the spectator's attention.
On the broadcast I heard the commentators talk about Anna and Aleksandra getting in each other's ways, but each of them landed quads in warmups.

Amei

Record Breaker
I was surprised she didn't do the 4F instead of the 4L, because it is better than the 4L.

I assume because the 4L was what she competed last year that she's more comfortable with that jump; maybe after Lombardi this week where they see how she scores internationally against Liza T. and 3 triple axels they'll look at implementing it into her FS in addition to the 4L...

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Come on, Kammy! Make that a 4T+3T! :)
Considering she isn't jumping +3Lo combos - she will need 3T to repeat 3Lz and 3F later. Landing clean 3+3 is much easier than landing 4+3 - and between two options: 4+2/3+3 and 4+3/3+2 - first one is preferable. Point-wise there isn't any difference too. In other words - she doesn't need 4+3 combination now.

Ykai

On the Ice
In the long program, can you repeat the same jump as the second jump in a combo? Say 3Lz+3T, followed by 3F+3T is valid, right? But 3Lz+3T, followed by a single 3T by is not.

Orlov

Medalist
Come on, Kammy! Make that a 4T+3T! :)

This is simply not necessary due to the restrictions imposed by the rules. Look, definitely:

4T+2T(3T)*
4T
2A [rules]
3Lo [single cuz Camila doesn't cascade with a 3Lo, but obviously all types of triple jumps should be used]

and probably

3Lz+1Eu+3S
3F+3T(2T)*
3Lz

* Designations mean - if you jump 3T at the beginning, you must have to jump 2T at the end or vice versa.

Well, then what's the point of complicating the quad combo?

Well, then what's the point of complicating the quad combo?

Because it's just so cool. Any junior lady can jump a 4T+2T, but a 4T+3T -- now people will start noticing you! ;)

Or change the second 4T to 4S. Then she could do both 4T+3T and 3F+3T. :yes: That way, she would be favored to win this Chelyabinsk event.

Last edited:

Orlov

Medalist
Because it's just so cool. Any junior lady can jump a 4T+2T, but a 4T+3T -- now people will star noticing you! ;)

Or change the second 4T to 4S. Then she could do both 4T+3T and 3F+3T. :yes: That way, she would be favored to win this Chelyabinsk event.

as we say in Russia - "You eat too much" :laugh:

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Because it's just so cool. Any junior lady can jump a 4T+2T, but a 4T+3T -- now people will star noticing you! ;)
Or change the second 4T to 4S. Then she could do both 4T+3T and 3F+3T. That way, she would be favored to win this Chelyabinsk event.

:unsure:
Ah, you have quite specific sense of humour, I get it :cool2:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am not sure about the rules but if quads can be done in the short that is key. If they can't then the triple axel is really important. If you do a triple axel in the short clean you are like a good 5 or 6 pts up tech wise than those only with a 2A factoring in GOE's and all. ET, Rika and Liu when eligible have the abiltiy to do really well if quads are allowed in the short Trusova needs the 3A. Rika and ET could really clean up along with Liu. The sad thing is we may no longer see skaters like Satoko, Evgenia and Alina on the world scene without 3A's and quads.

:unsure:
Ah, you have quite specific sense of humour, I get it :cool2:

Yeah, I was trying to be funny. Sorry for the confusion.

But on a more serious note, I remember that this was a big topic of conversation for Patrick Chan's short programs.. What are the pros and cons of attempting 4T+3T and then 3Lz, versus solo 4T, then 3Lz+3T.

I want to add, with regard to Kamila's run-through clip: The quads were great, but I was just as impressed with her speed across the ice and grace of movement.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The sad thing is we may no longer see skaters like Satoko, Evgenia and Alina on the world scene without 3A's and quads.

I think this is a stretch. Alina is less consistent now than in 2017-18, Evgenia is less consistent now than when she was winning everything in 2015-17, so it is very likely all of the quad skaters will see a drop in form at some point. I think we'll see more quads at the senior ladies level now, but I don't expect any of the women to land them consistently year after year. What is tough is that skaters like Alina and Evgenia will have to rely on mistakes from others to win, which wasn't the case when each was dominating with the highest technical content.

lzxnl

Final Flight
Yeah, I was trying to be funny. Sorry for the confusion.

But on a more serious note, I remember that this was a big topic of conversation for Patrick Chan's short programs.. What are the pros and cons of attempting 4T+3T and then 3Lz, versus solo 4T, then 3Lz+3T.

I want to add, with regard to Kamila's run-through clip: The quads were great, but I was just as impressed with her speed across the ice and grace of movement.

I think the idea is, once you get used to a 4T+3T, you can repeat the 4T eventually

thedude

On the Ice
I think she skates like a guy. And I kinda love that about her. Why not? She really is the Simone Biles of figure skating.

Potential to be the Simone Biles of figure skating... potential. Simone has been the top for almost 2 Olympic cycles and her routines are getting more difficult and she's 22.

Trusova is just getting started