American Idol 4/14 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

American Idol 4/14

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
This is Diana's problem in a nutshell:

MY HEART WILL GO ON:

CHORUS:

Near, far, wherever you are (Gosh I'm good!)
I believe that the heart does go on (I'm a STAR!)
Once more you open the door (Good high note!)
And you're here in my heart (Smile! America loves me!)
And my heart will go on and on (Power notes! Power notes!)

guinevere

Final Flight
mike79 said:
Oh my. Best. Bottom. Three. Ever.

Jon Peter Lewis, John Stevens, and Diana Degarmo.

JPL is booted. Elvis has left the building. I couldn't be happier.:D

If John and Diana go next it will be a great final 6.
Although I have kind of enjoyed JPL, and thought he had potential, I think tonight's results were right. ITA with mike79.

guinevere

Mike,
Oh my. Rolling. On. Floor. Laughing. A**. Off.

Once again your memory amazes me. ITA that Jennifer's "Circle of Life" is the equivalent of Kim Locke's "New York State of Mind." I really liked Jennifer in the beginning--love that low voice--but she seemed unfocused for a couple of shows. Once she hit one out of the park with "CoL" she seemed to get not only her focus, but also earned real confidence.

I don't know if Jennifer is shy, as Rgal said, at least in her home environment, but I think another possibility may have been the initial reaction to her clothes and hair by the judges, and possibly her personality by other AIers (we saw what went on in "The Apprentice" loft between the women, who knows what's been going down in the AI mansion, lol.) Anyway, it all may have shaken her until she had a "hit."

Twinnie,
Guinnie is right, you DO rock. And you can tell Mr. RG and RG, Jr. that we say so! Also, one good song joke deserves another. This isn't necessarily for Diana--as I've said in the past, I don't blame her for doing what she's always been noticed for. I blame her adult teachers who haven't pushed Diana to use her gift to its fullest. Imagine if Van Cliburn's piano teachers had said, "Oh, Van! You're so good! Just keep playing all the right notes and you'll win, win, win!" It would have been criminal. I'm not saying Diana is Van Cliburn, but you get the idea.

But for every judge who has ever had to listen to "My Heart Will Go On" at an audition--except Celine Dion, who as much as I think she's bizarre, actually can do justice to that song, if such a song must be sung--here's my version of the MHWGO chorus.
MY HEART WILL GO ON--
THE JUDGES' CHORUS:

Far, near, now that I'm here
I believe I'm already a star
Near, far, in some karaoke bar
I'll be breaking your ears
'Cause my lungs will bust on and on!

Rgirl said:
My bottom three would be JPL, John, and Diana and I'd have JPL gone.
Yes, I'm quoting myself because for once, I was right! Damn. I should've bet money.

I have a theory as to why the B3 results were what they were and why this week. During AI-1 and AI-2, myself and the people I know who watched it didn't vote at all until it got down to the last seven or six. IMO, you need to hear at least four performances to get an idea of how somebody performs on a consistent basis. I think most people vote as much on overall performances as they do on a single one. Although we found out with Tamyra Gray in AI-1 that many people do vote on just one performance.

With JPL, for example, I think what many people initially thought was different and *quirky* soon became annoying. I still think JPL could be have a career as a voiceover singer or small club performer once he gets some voice training and learns that a little *geekiness* goes a long way. When his voice is on and you close your eyes, IMO, he does have a very interesting voice. And lord knows, he'll make more money with steady years of studio and advertising work than he will as a one-hit wonder.

I also think that by mid-season, the novelty for the novelty watchers and voters has worn off and many are no longer as willing to spend two hours voting for somebody--especially when prom, graduation, work, whatever is around the corner, At the same time, people who haven't voted before are probably thinking, "If some of these bozos are staying on over better performers, then yeah, I'll spend 20 minutes trying to make sure the better ones don't get voted off."

Finally, I think that as the performance levels get higher and the real stakes of the competition become apparent, a wider variety of people take voting more seriously. Of course, we'll see what happens in the ensuing weeks. I thought a Kelly Clarkson/Tamyra Gray showdown was a no-brainer in AI-1 and we all know what happened there.

ITA with Guinivere that if the final four is anybody other than Fantasia, Jennifer, LaToya, and George it will be a travesty since they're the ones who have performed at a consistently high level, shown their ability to improve to a high level, or some of both. Having said that, I'd still be happy to see some great performances from John, Jasmine, and/or Diana.
Rgirl

mike79

On the Ice
I have to get in on this action. Hear's my version of Diana singing Celine:

Near, far, wherever you are (Come on y'all!)
I believe that the heart does go on (Clap yo' hands)
Once, more, you've opened the door(Smile 'cause Mommy told me)
And I know that my heart will go on (Hold glorynote...alright, pageant girls eat your heart out!)

Last edited:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
You guys crack me up!!!:laugh: As much as I love George, I wouldn't mind if Jasmine snuck in there for the final four.....I love the quality of her voice, even though she is just below pitch at times............she has a freshness about her that I love.....42

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
My school schedule is one that does not allow much free time on Thursdays so I'm behind! :laugh: However this week I took notes down for what dad said and predicted to compare so I'll add those to my post at the the end.

1. George -- awesome lower register... yes it was subdued compared to his more upbeat performances, but I like the softer side of George Huff... wasn't his best, but wasn't the worst he could do by a long shot.

2. Jennifer -- sorry, Trenyce owned this song last year, Jennifer just seems so over produced... and it's not all about the power notes baby... yeah the song calls for them... but don't over do it. I can just imagine how loud she is in that auditorium! :eek:

3. JPL -- Love his movie selection, seize the day! As a girl who grew up listening to Elvis a lot... JPL and Elvis WORK... Jailhouse Rock is a great song, and it was a great choreographed number in the movie... He had a rough spot where he forgot the words, but other than that it was good. Did anyone else want to see Tanith and Ben and Elena and Anton skate their Elvis number during it though? LOL I loved his dancing... really good...

4. Diana -- I hate Titanic! UGH! Good song, but Diana was so under pitch ick! Kim Locke sounded awful last year... but I think Diana takes the cake... ick ick ick. Yuka was actually whining in places... (had it on surround sound...) definately NOT the right song choice for Diana... she's had several bad weeks... I actually agreed with QT on this one... but I really didn't like his style... we don't need two Simons on there and that's what he was aiming for IMHO. Did anyone else think her fake laugh during her movie choice segment was incredibly annoying?

5. Fantasia -- oh gosh... she is SO NOT NEMO! I don't know I think the whole "Nemo" thing was a vote getter... it's a good movie YES but really the favorite movie? But whatever LOL. I still like Lauren Enswiler's version of Summertime better than Fantasia's... but I just don't like Fantasia's voice so maybe that's the reason... it was sung well... just wasn't pleasing for my ear to listen to... and I'm not knocking Broadway or anything... but why can Fantasia sound really "broadway" (and for that matter some of the other ladies) and Simon love her but when CLAY did it last year he sucked????????? I am so terribly confused... dad said it's probably because Clay proved Simon wrong and now he's kinda over compensating? I guess that makes sense?

6. Jasmine -- was not surprised about her movie selection ;) she was the only one I had pretty much figured out. Song was better this week... but still not her best...

Neil was very cool with the Clay love ;)

7. Johnny -- first off... ALADDIN??? Can we say GEEK??? I was really surprised with that answer :laugh: He wore a Kurt Casablanca Jacket (ok not really but that's what I thought about during this song!) He started off a little flat but got right into it... beautiful... John's back! I loved it! I love his voice! WAY TO GO JOHNNY! QT is a dork, Randy finally got it right, loved Simon's snapping comment, and yeay for Neil and his standing O!!!

*Music Video was GREAT the best one of the season so far! John has a chicken chest... yikes! Can we say "Got Milk" ? :laugh:*

8. Latoya -- Nemo? What's with that movie? LOL She's got lungs. Don't like WSS. Vocal Gymnastics for me with this song, it's getting old. It worked for Clay because he stood out... but this year is all about power singers and I'm tired of it! LOL

how I'd rank them

1. John -- a little bias, but it was really really good, IMHO
2. George
3. JPL -- the song worked!
4. Latoya
5. Jasmine & Fantasia -- Jasmine was weak, but Fantasia does nothing for me... but she was good.
7. Jennifer
8. Diana

bottom 3:
Diana, Jennifer, and Johnny (cuz America dislikes him LOL) with Diana going home

Dad's comments

1. George -- didn't like the beginning but he "came on" later
2. Jennifer -- (was in the kitchen so only listened) What I heard was good.
3. JPL -- he was good (he laughed through the whole dance thing LOL)
4. Diana -- she is a very accomplished vocalist, not old enough to put personality into the song.
5. Fantasia -- she did really well
6. Jasmine -- She didn't have trouble until the end
7. John -- that was really really smooth, good, I'm proud of him!

*music video -- John needs to keep his shirt on!*

8. Latoya -- the girl's got some pipes!

Ranking:
1. Latoya
2. Fantasia
3. Jennifer
4. John
5. Jasmine
6. JPL & George
8. Diana

bottom three:
predicting that it will be: Diana, JPL, and Jasmine or John with Diana going home
his personal bottom three: Diana, JPL, and George

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:
This is Diana's problem in a nutshell:

MY HEART WILL GO ON:

CHORUS:

Near, far, wherever you are (Gosh I'm good!)
I believe that the heart does go on (I'm a STAR!)
Once more you open the door (Good high note!)
And you're here in my heart (Smile! America loves me!)
And my heart will go on and on (Power notes! Power notes!)

that and the fact that her power notes were totally underpitch!

no way are JPL and John going to be in the B3--those ever-faster auto redialers plus text messaging from a gazillion teens just can't be beat--

yeah well... um... lets see... who went home this week? and who was in teh bottom three

if you ask me Diana was so overly excited I found it rude... she's the only one I've ever seen go SKIPPING back to join the group...

Last edited: