2014 Warsaw Cup | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2014 Warsaw Cup

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Acutally Lubov put a hand down, but didn't fall.

Right enough, I just looked at the table, and there is no deduction mentioned. So, she did better than I thought, then. Great! :biggrin:

Well spotted! Thank you for the correction.

CaroLiza_fan

rvi5

On the Ice
Just watched the higher definition version posted at FSU. It appears Lubov didn't get enough height, coming down on both feet before she could uncross them. Stumbled and put her hands down, but managed to stay upright.

Last edited:

thoakun

Final Flight
Judging by Valentina's Twitter, she seemed to be quite happy with her debut. They looked better than I expected. If she loves pair skating, then I'd say go for it :clap:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just watched the higher definition version posted at FSU. It appears Lubov didn't get enough height, coming down on both feet before she could uncross them. Stumbled and put her hands down, but managed to stay upright.

Just did the same myself, and I can see why we would have disagreed.

Watching live, with a poor quality picture and no replays, it was very easy to call it as a fall. But, watching it again a couple of times, you see that, although it may look like there was more on the ice, it was just her hands.

But, what I can't get over is the difference in quality between the livestream and the YouTube videos. They are worlds apart! :eek:

I watched the livestream yesterday because I didn't know if the coverage was going to be archived. But now that I know that the videos are going on YouTube, and the quality is so much better, I'm not going to bother with the Warsaw Cup livestream today.

If I can find a decent Eurosport 2 International stream, I'll watch the Trophée Éric Bompard LIVE. If not, then it's the snooker.

But, may I take this opportunity to wish Liza all the best for her Short Programme this morning (why on Earth is she in the first group?!). Although I may not be watching LIVE, I will still be right behind her cheering her on! :cheer:

And also to Sarah Hecken, who I haven't seen since Europeans, but really hope has a better time of it this season than she did last.

Although I have been rather critical of her, I really hope Valentina Marchei has a much better Free Skate, and shows all us doubters why doing Pairs was a good move for her.

Oh, and that Lubov and Dylan continue to impress! (It may be early days, but I suspect Kirsten may soon start to regret ditching Dylan!)

I would also hope Michael Christian Martinez and Alexander Petrov both have good clean Free Skates in their battle for the gold. May the best man win.

CaroLiza_fan

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
I enjoyed the Pairs short. Nice to see Lubov back skating, it was a very impressive debut, I would rank them ahead of MT/M in the Canadian rankings. She looked a bit out of sync with Dylan starting off but not for long. Good to see Lina going for the 3T but it was under-rotated, loved their triple twist. Kinda funny that both couples skated to the same music. It was good to see C/SK had a clean skate, they landed all their tech, hopefully they will have a good show in NHK.

I still don't know what B/H split, it seems odd since they were pushing their way up the rankings and had got on a European podium and no surprises that the short from M/H was a little way of that. There is potential there, I liked their style but I wonder how long will they last. It seems odd that Marchei switched so late in her career to Pairs.

All couples are very close so I guess anyone can win overall.

Mao88

Record Breaker
Another great performance by Liza Tuk in today's SP:-

1. Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA (RUS) - 67.83 Short Program, 2nd Copy
2. Liubov EFIMENKO (FIN) - 53.41
3. Anastasia GALUSTYAN (ARM) - 51.04 Short Program
4. Aleksandra GOLOVKINA (LTU) - 48.62 Short Program
5. Isabelle OLSSON (SWE) - 47.69 Short Program
6. Nicole SCHOTT (GER) - 46.43 Short Program
7. Laure NICODET (SUI) - 44.21 Short Program
8. Micol CRISTINI (ITA) - 43.82 Short Program
9. Sarah HECKEN (GER) - 41.93 Short Program
10. Viveca LINDFORS (FIN) - 41.04 Short Program

rvi5

On the Ice
It may be early days, but I suspect Kirsten may soon start to regret ditching Dylan!

Perhaps in the short term. However, Kirsten's thinking is more long term. The problem with the Lubov/Dylan pairing is, it may unfortunately be relatively short lived. When Dylan eventually retires, Lubov will be searching for a new partner. Until then, we can enjoy their success together.

Last edited:

lyndichee

Medalist
Yay for Lubov and Dylan! Although short-lived, I really hope they can find a lot of success and enjoy the sport together.

sses1

On the Ice
I really love this new pairing between Dylan and Lubov. Hopefully they will have a lot of success in the long run. I easily see them becoming my favorite Canadian pair.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Ran here after the horrific men's LP to see Liza. Wonderful skate again. No idea when the free is, but I hope she does well. Heaven knows, we need more good skates!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Perhaps in the short term. However, Kirsten's thinking is more long term. The problem with the Lubov/Dylan pairing is, it may unfortunately be relatively short lived. When Dylan eventually retires, Lubov will be searching for a new partner. Until then, we can enjoy their success together.

I can actually understand Kirsten's decision. At the end of the day, if the partnership works, she will get herself a longer career out of a partner her own age than she would with a partner that is much older.

But, what I am struggling to accept is Kirsten's decision to split when things were going so well for not just her and Dylan, but for Margaret Purdy and Michael Marinaro as well.

Kirsten and Dylan were without doubt one of the top pairs partnerships in the world. They had climbed up to 3rd in the World Standings (archive from 5th September), and with Robin Szolkowy and Pang/Tong retiring and Maxim Trankov injured, they would have been the favourites in any competition they entered this season.

Margaret and Michael were quickly becoming a very promising team for the future of Canadian Pairs skating. Despite it being their first year at Senior level, they were already up to 17th in the World Standings.

Now look at them. Kirsten and Michael struggling together. Margaret left without a partner, and subsequently retiring. And Dylan looking very good with his new Russian partner.

Kirsten said at the time that she made the decision because Dylan wasn't sure if he could commit to another Olympic cycle. Well, the very fact that he subsequently went looking for a new partner shows that he has decided he will continue. And the fact that he got one that is VERY competitive indicates that he is in it for the long haul.

So, Kirsten should have had a bit more patience and waited for Dylan's decision, rather than go on ahead and split up what could very easily have become Canada's top 2 teams.

As it is, with 3 slots, Kirsten and Michael should still make the Canadian team for Worlds. But, if things continue the way they are, it is clear that they will be the number 3, behind Duhamel/Radford and Iliuschkina/Moscovitch (who ARE eligible, thanks to Lubov being without a partner for so long).

Incidentally, I was amazed that somebody as good as Lubov was left without a partner for 2 full seasons. :eek: She and Nodari Maisuradze had really caught our attentions in the 2010/11 season by winning Skate Canada and the Universiade. Yet, after their split a season later, Lubov somehow couldn't get a new partner.

Unfortunately, due to more tragic circumstances (if you don't know, see this thread), Nodari is now without somebody to skate with. (All the best with your recovery, Julia. We are still thinking about you!)

It would have been a travesty if, like Lubov, Dylan had also ended up left on the shelf. So, I am so glad they got together, and are reminding the world just what they are capable of.

Sorry that my comment has turned into a rant. I just needed to get that off my chest.

Yay for Lubov and Dylan! Although short-lived, I really hope they can find a lot of success and enjoy the sport together.

I really love this new pairing between Dylan and Lubov. Hopefully they will have a lot of success in the long run. I easily see them becoming my favorite Canadian pair.

Getting back to Warsaw, and I am delighted with how well Dylan and Lubov are performing so soon into the partnership. I haven't seen the Free Skate yet, or the final results, but they were in a class of their own in the Short.

That said, I do have an idea how it finished up, thanks to this photo that Lubov posted on Facebook last night:

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net...=a2e726be36ac10547c2877d43bbbba05&oe=54DBEF01

She gave the photo the caption "Happy debut!!!". To which Valentina replied:

Vale Marchei said:
Happy debut to the 2 of us...dear Lubov! Happy to share this with a nice girl like u!
Source: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...487753127&type=1&comment_id=10203254074901156

I really hope that both of them go on to have even more success, both this season and beyond.

...but, I still want Vale to concentrate on the singles! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Mao88

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Tuk on winning the Warsaw Cup with a score of 196.66 (FS = 128.83 - 3Z+2T+2R combination, 3Z, 3F, 3T+2T combination, 2R, 3S+2A sequence, 2A)

1. Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA (RUS) - 196.66 Free Skate
2. Anastasia GALUSTYAN (ARM) - 148.63 Free Skate
3. Aleksandra GOLOVKINA (LTU) - 147.35 Free Skate
4. Liubov EFIMENKO (FIN) - 142.94 Free Skate
5. Isabelle OLSSON (SWE) - 132.45
6. Micol CRISTINI (ITA) - 128.33
7. Angelina KUCHVALSKA (LAT) - 125.10
8. Laure NICODET (SUI) - 120.54
9. Nicole SCHOTT (GER) - 120.27 Free Skate
10. Viveca LINDFORS (FIN) - 119.96

Last edited:

pdahle

Spectator
A bit late, I know, but has anyone around here got a copy of the judges scores or protocol from Warzaw Cup 2009?

Sackie

Medalist
I just watched the videos from L/M and comparing them to those of MT/M 2 it seems like Dylan has found a new look and style. It doesn't look like the same old same old from him. Yet with Kristin it's all the same old stuff she has been doing for the last few years with Dylan - just with a new partner. L/M have a more classical look in lines and moves while MT/M 1 were more cutesy and it looks to me like MT/M are also taking the cutesy route.
Got me wondering if Kristin might have been the force leading both of her partnerships, insisting things be done her way. And maybe Dylan was fighting for them to go a new route. Cause I must say the new style looks good on him.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I just watched the videos from L/M and comparing them to those of MT/M 2 it seems like Dylan has found a new look and style. It doesn't look like the same old same old from him. Yet with Kristin it's all the same old stuff she has been doing for the last few years with Dylan - just with a new partner. L/M have a more classical look in lines and moves while MT/M 1 were more cutesy and it looks to me like MT/M are also taking the cutesy route.
Got me wondering if Kristin might have been the force leading both of her partnerships, insisting things be done her way. And maybe Dylan was fighting for them to go a new route. Cause I must say the new style looks good on him.

That's interesting, I do agree that Dylan's new look is really working for him, but I always felt that Kirsten was the Wirtz' main priority so I wonder if they purposely choose to go her style than Dylan's. I've met them both before and while Kirsten is bubbly and sweet and cutesy, Dylan comes off a bit more aloof, very chill and humourous but he's way more laid back than Kirsten, who I would compare to the energizer bunny.

lyndichee

Medalist
But, what I am struggling to accept is Kirsten's decision to split when things were going so well for not just her and Dylan, but for Margaret Purdy and Michael Marinaro as well.

Kirsten and Dylan were without doubt one of the top pairs partnerships in the world. They had climbed up to 3rd in the World Standings (archive from 5th September), and with Robin Szolkowy and Pang/Tong retiring and Maxim Trankov injured, they would have been the favourites in any competition they entered this season.

Margaret and Michael were quickly becoming a very promising team for the future of Canadian Pairs skating. Despite it being their first year at Senior level, they were already up to 17th in the World Standings.
CaroLiza_fan

I don't think that's all completely correct; both teams have been doing great but Margaret Purdy had grown too tall for pairs skating, she is bordering 5'6 now and lifts were difficult.

rvi5

On the Ice
...Kirsten said at the time that she made the decision because Dylan wasn't sure if he could commit to another Olympic cycle. Well, the very fact that he subsequently went looking for a new partner shows that he has decided he will continue. And the fact that he got one that is VERY competitive indicates that he is in it for the long haul.

So, Kirsten should have had a bit more patience and waited for Dylan's decision, rather than go on ahead and split up what could very easily have become Canada's top 2 teams.

As it is, with 3 slots, Kirsten and Michael should still make the Canadian team for Worlds. But, if things continue the way they are, it is clear that they will be the number 3, behind Duhamel/Radford and Iliuschkina/Moscovitch (who ARE eligible, thanks to Lubov being without a partner for so long).

I heard the issue was Dylan would not commit to "more than one" Olympics.

Kirsten & Dylan still had Meagan & Eric in front of them at many major competitions ie. Nationals, 4CC, Worlds, GPF, Olympics. After the last few years unsuccessfully trying to get past D/R, Kirsten may have decided to instead focus on podiums after the 2018 Olympics (I am assuming Meagan & Eric will not retire sooner). Kirsten has relative youth on her side. With Meagan & Eric approaching 30, Kirsten could assume they would likely retire after the next Olympics (Meagan, Eric, and Dylan would all be approaching 40 for the 2022 games).

If Kirsten & Dylan had stayed together, they may have remained Canada's #2 team behind D/R until 2018. Afterwards, Dylan would likely retire leaving Kirsten to start over with a new partner. Her chances of becoming Canada's #1 team would continue to be diminished at that point. Especially if the new partner did not work out, and she had to start again with yet another. However if Kirsten acted now, with a good partner and sufficient training time, she could possibly reclaim the position as Canada's #1 team, after 2018 when D/R retire. Although an unknown factor at the time of her decision, any threat from I/M would be short lived and evaporate after 2018 when Dylan likely retires. The 2019-2022 Olympic cycle may be Kirsten's last chance, since by 2022 she will be turning 30.

Last edited: