Greatest performances not to win?? | Golden Skate

Greatest performances not to win??

Ximena

Final Flight
Inspired by the other thread about greates skaters, I wonder, what about those really good performances that didn't win a event. And by that I'm NOT saying that the one who won shouldn't have.

I mostly watch men, and from very recent seasons that is so obviously my list will be really short.

- Plushenko GPF 02 "Story of an Artist"
- Plushenko Olys 02 "Carmen"
- Plushenko GPF 04 "Nijisnki"
Ok I'm biased ;) sorry for that, now the rest
- Jhanke 4CC 04 "Brazilian Medley"
- Lambiel Euros 02 "Cirque du Soleil" (I realized that the technical content was really low but that was an awesome program)
- Alexander Abt Euros 02 "Rachmanichoff"
- Timothy Goebel Olys 02 "American in Paris"
- Brian Joubert Euros 03 "The Mission"

what about yours?
I'm also doing this thread for very selfish reasons because I want to download other programs so I want to see what's worth downloading.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
1. Chen Lu - 96 Worlds "Rach" LP
2. Michelle Kwan - 98 Olympics "Lyra Angelica" LP
3. Michelle Kwan - 95 Worlds "Rondo Capricio (Spelling?) LP
4. Tanja Szewczenko - 98 GPF "Speed" LP
5. Nancy Kerrigan - 94 Olympics "Neil Diamond" LP
6. Paul Wylie - 92 Olympics "Henry V" LP
7. Todd Eldredge - 98 Worlds LP
8. Todd Eldredge - 01 Worlds LP
9. Michelle Kwan - 02 Worlds "Scheherezade" LP
10. Vanessa Gusmeroli - 00 Worlds "Legends of the Fall" LP
11. Ina & Dungjen - 02 Olympics LP
12. Tonia Kwiatkowski - 96 Nationals "Bladerunner" LP

That is all I can think of for now!

floskate

On the Ice
Midori Ito 1990 Worlds
If it weren't for the figures she would have been 2 time world champion :cry:
Midori Ito '88 Olympics technically on another planet to anyone else in the building!

S & Z 1999 Worlds - this will open a can of worms I'm sure and I do really like B&S's skating but my gut instinct on the night was they were robbed. On reflection the russians were better in many areas at the time but S & Z were clean.

S&Z 04 Worlds. No wuzrobbing here but awesome skate.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
floskate said:
S & Z 1999 Worlds - this will open a can of worms I'm sure and I do really like B&S's skating but my gut instinct on the night was they were robbed. On reflection the russians were better in many areas at the time but S & Z were clean.

I agree with you totally! I´m pretty much always rooting for B&S, but this was one of the rare exceptions. I saw the Worlds 1999 live in Helsinki and definetely thought that S&Z should have won.

Marjaana

Tove

On the Ice
Sasha Abt, euros 2002, that was both the best and worst moment for me, since his skating was so faboulous, but still, he didn't win....:cry:

Albena & Maxim should've won both euros and worlds this year!! especially worlds, they just got better and better.

sorry, can't think of any older one...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Brian Orser, 1988 Olympics
Angela Nikidinov 2002 Short Program at Nationals (she had a first place ordinal from one judge, but only placed 4th overall in the SP)
Midori Ito 1988 Olympics
Liz Manley 1988 Olympics
Tonya Harding, 1991 Worlds (completed the triple axel, but lost to Kristi) Also skated the SP first or second as an unknown skater. Amazing skating by Tonya to have placed second coming from absolutely nowhere.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Only LPs or FDs, right? Ok, good performances that were worthy of winning (don't have to be wuzrobbed):

Goebel 2003 Worlds
Abt 2002 Euros
Yagudin 2001 Euros
D/S 2004 Euros/ Worlds
Lambiel 2004 Worlds (bronze)
Lambiel 2002 Euros (bronze)
B/S 2001 Worlds
Lu Chen 1996 Worlds
Kwan 1998 Olympics
Orser 1988 Olympics
A/P 2001 Worlds
G/G 2004 Worlds (bronze)

Lillehammer 94

Rinkside
Katarina Witt 94 Olympic Games skating to "Where Have All The Flowers Gone" the famous pacificist song written by Pete Seeger.
Katarina was not a medal contender, yet thanks to a terrific short program she was in the top skating order to skate her long program in view of a Global audience. With a record breaking television audience (the highest television ratings ever held for an Olympics) Katarina's message for peace was accomplished and met by heartfelt applause from the audience at Hamar's Northern Lights Hall.

millyskate

Rinkside
Ilia Kulik 98 worlds! my favorite ever men's LP. Too bad he landed triple flip twice without putting it in combination.
Shen and Zhao 99.

lulu

Final Flight
millyskate said:
Ilia Kulik 98 worlds! my favorite ever men's LP. Too bad he landed triple flip twice without putting it in combination.
Shen and Zhao 99.

I thought Ilia Kulik didn't compete at the 1998 World Champions.

icenut84

Final Flight
I agree with so many of these.

Shen & Zhao, 04 Worlds
Stephane Lambiel, 04 Worlds
Denkova & Staviyski, 04 Euros & Worlds
Petrova & Tikhonov, 04 Euros
Viktoria Pavuk, 04 Euros
Ina & Zimmerman, 02 Olympics
Lobacheva & Averbukh, 02 Olympics
Stephane Lambiel, 02 Euros
Alexander Abt, 02 Euros
Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze, 01 Worlds
Todd Eldredge, 01 Worlds
Irina Slutskaya, 01 Worlds
Vanessa Gusmeroli, 00 Worlds
Shen & Zhao, 99 Worlds
Phillippe Candeloro, 98 Olympics
Michelle Kwan, 98 Olympics
Lu Chen, 96 Worlds
Moniotte & Lavanchy, 94 Worlds
Brasseur & Eisler, 94 Olympics
Mishkutenok & Dmitriev, 94 Olympics
Torvill & Dean, 94 Olympics
Nancy Kerrigan, 94 Olympics
Viktor Petrenko, 91 Worlds
Brian Orser, 88 Olympics
Elizabeth Manley, 88 Olympics
Midori Ito, 88 Olympics

DivakawaFan

Rinkside
Lu Chen 96 Worlds :love:
Midori Ito 90 Worlds
Surya Bonaly 93/95 Worlds
S/Z 99 Worlds
Usova/Zhulin 94 Olys
Torvill/Dean 94 Olys

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Lillehammer 94 said:
Katarina Witt 94 Olympic Games skating to "Where Have All The Flowers Gone" the famous pacificist song written by Pete Seeger.
Katarina was not a medal contender, yet thanks to a terrific short program she was in the top skating order to skate her long program in view of a Global audience. With a record breaking television audience (the highest television ratings ever held for an Olympics) Katarina's message for peace was accomplished and met by heartfelt applause from the audience at Hamar's Northern Lights Hall.

That remains one of my all-time favorite performances EVER. I had tears in my eyes.

BrokenAnkle

Rinkside
So many great programs, so few medals!

One that has not been mentioned is Elvis 1998 Oly LP. He did have to leave some moves out, but for him to land 8 triples with the kind of injuries he had, I think it has to be included here as well.

Also really liked Phillippes' 1994 Godfather program - Worlds

BA

Vash01

Medalist
floskate said:

S&Z 04 Worlds. No wuzrobbing here but awesome skate.

You are right. It is a can of worms. Skating clean does not mean a thing if there is no choreography, no unison, no postures and lines and no connection with each other. B&S were head and shoulders above the rest including S&Z and they rightfully won on the presentation marks.

Vash01

Medalist
DORISPULASKI said:
Brian Orser, 1988 Olympics
Angela Nikidinov 2002 Short Program at Nationals (she had a first place ordinal from one judge, but only placed 4th overall in the SP)
Midori Ito 1988 Olympics
Liz Manley 1988 Olympics
Tonya Harding, 1991 Worlds (completed the triple axel, but lost to Kristi) Also skated the SP first or second as an unknown skater. Amazing skating by Tonya to have placed second coming from absolutely nowhere.

Tonya landed the triple axel but not much else. She skated great at the USN but not at worlds. Kristi rightfully won.

Vash01

Medalist
millyskate said:

Ilia Kulik did not skate in 98 worlds. I think you probably mean worlds 96 where he finished second to Todd Eldredge. In 97 he finished off the podium.

Vash01

Medalist
Mishkutenok & Dmitriev 94 Olympics

Berezhnaya-Sikharulidze 2001 worlds

Shishkova-Naumov 1995 worlds

Lobacheva-Averbukh 2003 worlds

Usova-Zhulin 94 Olympics

Chen Lu 1996 worlds

Michelle 98 Olympics

Midori Ito 90 worlds

Brian Orser 88 worlds and 88 Olympics

That's all I can think of right now.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Lillehammer 94 said:

ITA. I remember it was the last LP of the whole Olympics. It was a beautiful moment, and I was glad Kati used it for her interp LP the next year when she returned to pro skating.