Junior Ladies SP JGP Courchevel 2014 | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Junior Ladies SP JGP Courchevel 2014

inskate

On the Ice
The e for Evgenia was incredibly harsh!! I actually thought that the edge looked clean, maybe ! but surely not e... :disapp:

"!" is supposed to be given for jumps with unclear edge - that is, flat or too shallow to clearly identify. Evgenia's Lutz was unfortunately a full-blown flutz, which can be seen clearly if one looks at the ice tracings/body position. Her blade traces a sort of reverse "S" shape, first doing an arc on an outside edge, then bouncing back on the inside one.

Here's a screencap of the a moment she reaches back - http://i61.tinypic.com/9zss1.jpg
And here's the take-off - http://i60.tinypic.com/14dew6e.jpg

If you save both images and watch them quickly one after the other (I recommend IrfanView, you can browse through images using the mouse's scroll) you'll see that Evgenia's blade traces a "C"-like arc on the ice, which means she switched to the inside edge before the take-off for long enough to negate some of the counter-rotation (which is what makes Lutz a Lutz).

I love Evgenia's skating, but I think the harsh penalty for wrong edge is the right thing to do, and the only thing that isn't fair is that it wasn't implemented as soon as CoP was introduced (and now some of the seniors will suffer for the sins the old mindset that deemed changing edges on the take-off acceptable). Evgenia is young at talented, and still has time to fix her 3Lz.

About Rin Nitaya, idk why but her 3Lz looks a bit iffy? maybe it just because it looks like a 3Lo setup from the given camera angle?

edit: not hating on her or anything but the setup of her 3Lz just kinda...confused me :/ anyone care to elaborate about jump setups?

I can't find any older videos of her programs so I can't be sure, but it'd guess she worked on improving her 3Lz edge recently and doesn't feel very confident about it yet, so she used that long glide with free leg assist to concentrate and get her body into the "right" position. Hopefully, as she commits the jump to her muscle memory, she won't need to think about it so much. Despite the long preparation her take-off edge was actually very clean.

There's nothing wrong with using "tricky" entrances - quite the opposite, I think that (as long as the entrance is fast, fluid and confident and results with a take-off on the correct edges) it adds a nice element of surprise (and, usually, boosts the GOE). I liked Midori's "Lutz" entrance ito 2A, Ashley's spread eagle (making people expect 2A) into 3L, etc..

Two problems with Rin's Lutz was that the pause between the preceeding steps and the actual jump was too big to satisfy the SP requirements, and it was a bit UR (not enough to get <, but enough to get a GoE deduction). Rin did receive a significant GoE deduction, so I think the overall result was fair.

ETA: I checked the protocols from last season's junior Nationals ans Rin didn't even attempt 3Lz in either of her programs, so it's no wonder she stalks it a bit. Good for her for landing it here (and adding a 3-3 into her SP)!

bluelutz

On the Ice
About Rin Nitaya, idk why but her 3Lz looks a bit iffy? maybe it just because it looks like a 3Lo setup from the given camera angle?

edit: not hating on her or anything but the setup of her 3Lz just kinda...confused me :/ anyone care to elaborate about jump setups?

Yes, I agree that set up looks like Loop's.
But according to the rule book, as long as you jump from the left outside edge, if you do the counter-clock rotation, it would be okay whatever you do before the Lutz jump.

Until like 90's, most of skaters had a very long gliding on the left outside edge, and they jumped at the end of the rink.
But since then I have seen so many untraditional set-ups to 3Lz, and I see very few traditional ones now.

The very first one confused me was Tonia's.

http://youtu.be/1R556UHPCSM

At first she was on the right inside edge, then she put her weight on the left outside edge and reached back her right toe, then jumped.
This technique really wowed me because it was so different from any other skaters' Lutz.
And that was not for the technical merit, but I assume that she felt more comfortable to do that way.

The same thing can go with other jumps as well,
traditionally skaters do long curved gliding on the right outside edge for the loop,
but skaters like Suzuki do very straight approach/set up to 3Lp,
which means that skaters can choose the most comfortable ways for their set-ups to the jumps
as long as the jump itself is correct.

gmyers

Record Breaker
"!" is supposed to be given for jumps with unclear edge - that is, flat or too shallow to clearly identify. Evgenia's Lutz was unfortunately a full-blown flutz, which can be seen clearly if one looks at the ice tracings/body position. Her blade traces a sort of reverse "S" shape, first doing an arc on an outside edge, then bouncing back on the inside one.

Here's a screencap of the a moment she reaches back - http://i61.tinypic.com/9zss1.jpg
And here's the take-off - http://i60.tinypic.com/14dew6e.jpg

If you save both images and watch them quickly one after the other (I recommend IrfanView, you can browse through images using the mouse's scroll) you'll see that Evgenia's blade traces a "C"-like arc on the ice, which means she switched to the inside edge before the take-off for long enough to negate some of the counter-rotation (which is what makes Lutz a Lutz).

I love Evgenia's skating, but I think the harsh penalty for wrong edge is the right thing to do, and the only thing that isn't fair is that it wasn't implemented as soon as CoP was introduced (and now some of the seniors will suffer for the sins the old mindset that deemed changing edges on the take-off acceptable). Evgenia is young at talented, and still has time to fix her 3Lz.

I can't find any older videos of her programs so I can't be sure, but it'd guess she worked on improving her 3Lz edge recently and doesn't feel very confident about it yet, so she used that long glide with free leg assist to concentrate and get her body into the "right" position. Hopefully, as she commits the jump to her muscle memory, she won't need to think about it so much. Despite the long preparation her take-off edge was actually very clean.

There's nothing wrong with using "tricky" entrances - quite the opposite, I think that (as long as the entrance is fast, fluid and confident and results with a take-off on the correct edges) it adds a nice element of surprise (and, usually, boosts the GOE). I liked Midori's "Lutz" entrance ito 2A, Ashley's spread eagle (making people expect 2A) into 3L, etc..

Two problems with Rin's Lutz was that the pause between the preceeding steps and the actual jump was too big to satisfy the SP requirements, and it was a bit UR (not enough to get <, but enough to get a GoE deduction). Rin did receive a significant GoE deduction, so I think the overall result was fair.

ETA: I checked the protocols from last season's junior Nationals ans Rin didn't even attempt 3Lz in either of her programs, so it's no wonder she stalks it a bit. Good for her for landing it here (and adding a 3-3 into her SP)!

! Was abolished after Vancouver no? It hasn't been reinstated right? I am just now aware flutzing gets reduced bv like uring! Ouch!!