Evgenia Medvedeva | Page 1182 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva

Watch

Final Flight
She might train at CSKA, as she did previously; work with Averbukh on polishing her SP, then Brian will follow for the test skates. What are the chances that SLB will also be with Zhenya (last year, D. Wilson came)?

I don't think Shae-Lynne is likely to appear... Wilson is a permanent part of TCC, after all. But I'm counting on Averbukh to be there.

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
Regarding the press conference for MED and Pozdnyakov:

I don't like it. It may mean really bad things. Like moving to some admin position, no more competing.
It doesn't have to be a bad thing. Besides it's not the president of the Russian skating federation but with the president of the Olympic commitee.

Amy Zara

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I highly doubt that Evgenia will announce her retirement at that press conference lol

that would be even more of a surprise than hearing about her leaving Eteri for Brian :drama:

hopefully the press conference is just something to promote Russian sport or something along those lines. Zhenya is a great ambassador for that after all!

bubblecherry

Final Flight
Maybe Evgenia will have some involvement in the summer Olympics coming up. Or perhaps it's a diplomatic thing that will seem unimportant to us.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Regarding the press conference for MED and Pozdnyakov:

I don't like it. It may mean really bad things. Like moving to some admin position, no more competing.

Zhenya at the press conference: “And now, I want to thank my mother who uprooted her entire life for me to stay in Canada and train there. I want to thank my sponsors who helped me finance this. I want to thank my coaches who I clearly told I had a four year plan to the Olympics. I will now, however, announce my official retirement. I‘ve had enough, guys, see ya later... or not. And by the way, Ilia, thanks for choreographing my short program now you will be able to brag forever and longer about you having made the amazing Evgenia Medvedeva‘s last SP. I hope you‘re eternally grateful to me for giving you a reason to talk to the press. Don‘t forget to tell them every few days that, yes, it was you, who made the Medvedeva‘s last program! Thank you to Jason, too, it‘s a step by step progress, right but my next stop leads me to a job in the office where I‘ll do nothing all day but drink coffee and let Jerry drool over the documents of some unimportant Olympians. Who cares about the Olympics anyway, I want my peace! Zhenya off.“

I can already see the headlines in front of my eyes. :rofl:

Sorry. I had to. Now, in all seriousness, why would she announce her retirement? She literally just moved to Canada to have another chance to make it to the Olympics. Doesn‘t make much sense to me and doesn‘t sound like Zhenya at all.

pandatours

On the Ice
Zhenya will attend a press conference with the President of the Russian Olympic Committee on August 27. I am speculating that either Russia is planning to announce their intent to bid for another Games or double down on being able to compete under the Russian flag next year. She may be nominated as an ambassador to the summer games too, as the Shibs are for LA.

Either way this means she will be in Moscow for at least a week before test skates! She will be nice and refreshed for the “rentals” and hopefully this means less tired for ACI

dunffvanstorn

Final Flight
Zhenya at the press conference: “And now, I want to thank my mother who uprooted her entire life for me to stay in Canada and train there. I want to thank my sponsors who helped me finance this. I want to thank my coaches who I clearly told I had a four year plan to the Olympics. I will now, however, announce my official retirement. I‘ve had enough, guys, see ya later... or not. And by the way, Ilia, thanks for choreographing my short program now you will be able to brag forever and longer about you having made the amazing Evgenia Medvedeva‘s last SP. I hope you‘re eternally grateful to me for giving you a reason to talk to the press. Don‘t forget to tell them every few days that, yes, it was you, who made the Medvedeva‘s last program! Thank you to Jason, too, it‘s a step by step progress, right but my next stop leads me to a job in the office where I‘ll do nothing all day but drink coffee and let Jerry drool over the documents of some unimportant Olympians. Who cares about the Olympics anyway, I want my peace! Zhenya off.“

Sorry. I had to. Now, in all seriousness, why would she announce her retirement? She literally just moved to Canada to have another chance to make it to the Olympics. Doesn‘t make much sense to me and doesn‘t sound like Zhenya at all.

OMG, you almost killed me with that [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I believed in it for 30 seconds

I think it’s a really good sign that the Russian Olympic Committee want her on board with whatever they are doing. It indicates to me that they want to keep her as one of their active international skaters in the years to come. I don’t know about all of you, but for me, it gives me hope that she will be prioritised for worlds this year if that’s what it comes down to. They have invested a lot in building Evgenia up and she is clearly still paying her dues by advocating for Russia. It’s a very good sign in my eyes and puts her in a favourable position with the federation. She’s a very smart woman and I think she knows that playing the political game is half of the battle in this sport. In summary, no I don’t think she is announcing her retirement, in fact quite the opposite.

ecr1221

Rinkside
also don't forget that женя was an ambassador before on Russias behalf, showing up to a lot of meetings in a cast to allow Russian athletes to compete in 2018, when she didnt know if she herself would compete. she seemed to have been somewhat successful and helpful there, so I'm not extremely surprised that they would use her as an ambassador of sorts

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist

This was the best thing I've experienced the whole day! Not to sound like some other people on this forum, but this looks what someone would say while wishing she would retire.

But alas, let our diplomat do her thing. May not seem important to others, but I bet she'll do a great job no matter what the job is. ;)

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
also don't forget that женя was an ambassador before on Russias behalf, showing up to a lot of meetings in a cast to allow Russian athletes to compete in 2018, when she didnt know if she herself would compete. she seemed to have been somewhat successful and helpful there, so I'm not extremely surprised that they would use her as an ambassador of sorts

Great first post. :thumbsup: post often. :)

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker

Omg I died at the Averbukh part...

grey19

On the Ice
OMG, Fluture, that was hilarious and totally on point. Not gonna lie, the news about press conference made me a bit worried, but your amazing post made me come out of hiding just to say "Thank You!".

Watch

Final Flight

Aver's part sounds spot on :rofl: