Evgenia Medvedeva | Page 1149 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva

luanddu

On the Ice
https://rsport.ria.ru/20190710/1556384803.html

Averbukh made a short comment about Zhenya in a podcast.:think:

“I made her a short program. I really hope that it helps Zhenya to just have great fun on the ice. She’s a great champion. I’m interested in working with athletes and I hope that the programs I put on help them,” said Averbukh.

Ok Aver, we already know that you choreographed the sp for Zhenya :rolleye:
We just want to know who choreographed the lp pleaaaase.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
https://rsport.ria.ru/20190710/1556384803.html

Averbukh made a short comment about Zhenya in a podcast.:think:

“I made her a short program. I really hope that it helps Zhenya to just have great fun on the ice. She’s a great champion. I’m interested in working with athletes and I hope that the programs I put on help them,” said Averbukh.

What a nice interview. And Evgenia is a great champion. :)

Do you think coming in as the underdog this season will do her some good? She should have very little to no pressure from the fed/her team/herself/media. She can’t lose Russia any spots because the field is oversaturated by Russians. The four who everyone has their eyes on have immense pressure on them. It happened at worlds, the pressure was off and she delivered. When the pressure came off at Russian nationals for the fs she delivered. Couple that with her having had more time to grow into her new environment and solidify her new technique. Could we optimistically say this might be her strongest season yet?

Watch

Final Flight
Do you think coming in as the underdog this season will do her some good? She should have very little to no pressure from the fed/her team/herself/media. She can’t lose Russia any spots because the field is oversaturated by Russians. The four who everyone has their eyes on have immense pressure on them. It happened at worlds, the pressure was off and she delivered. When the pressure came off at Russian nationals for the fs she delivered. Couple that with her having had more time to grow into her new environment and solidify her new technique. Could we optimistically say this might be her strongest season yet?

Was the pressure at Worlds off, though? I feel like it was the opposite and she had to prove that she was the right choice to send to the competition. But I agree that it will do her good to not have the media hounding and judging her every step like they did last season. That's the kind of pressure that was really throwing her off... she's quite good at dealing with purely competitive pressure, I feel.

pandatours

On the Ice
Tbh I don’t think it matters if she is an underdog or not, Evgenia handles pressure well either way. But I think this season will be less mentally exhausting for her.

Alina and Sasha are doing Japan Open so I don’t think Evgenia is going. I don’t think she will do the Shanghai Open either. It seems likely that she will do ACI but I wonder if they will skip the pre-Grand Prix challengers this season. This may be a better strategy, last season it made sense to get some competition experience with a new coach and new style and test the waters but it’s not really necessary.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tbh I don’t think it matters if she is an underdog or not, Evgenia handles pressure well either way. But I think this season will be less mentally exhausting for her.

Alina and Sasha are doing Japan Open so I don’t think Evgenia is going. I don’t think she will do the Shanghai Open either. It seems likely that she will do ACI but I wonder if they will skip the pre-Grand Prix challengers this season. This may be a better strategy, last season it made sense to get some competition experience with a new coach and new style and test the waters but it’s not really necessary.

I think challengers are important for World standing points. So I do hope she does one.

Fluture

Record Breaker
I disagree about two things. One, the pressure and secondly the challenger argument.

1. It‘s not that Zhenya doesn‘t cope well with being the favourite. She does. Her two seasons on top should be proof enough for that. I mean, she entered the OG if not as THE favourite then at least a heavy, heavy co-favourite. I also don‘t think this was what caused her rough season this year. It was just like this: simply too much of everything. Mainly the media but also the coaching change, new country... She‘s only human, sometime everyone has to show some weakness. This season was a rebuilding year for her and I think the constant pressure and hate from the media only made it worse. I disagree that she skated well at Nationals in the FS because the pressure was off. Maybe this was a part of it, I don‘t know (still, I don‘t think so, RusNats is important to make the national team next year and get funding, so it‘s not like the place would have been totally irrelevant, especially not for Zhenya and all her additional expenses with training in Canada and all) but I believe that it was mainly because she‘d just been shown by the Russian spectators that she was still loved and admired. And Worlds? The pressure was on like it probably hasn‘t been before this season. She was sent over someone who had, inarguably, the better season. She needed to prove it was worth it. She did. But again, I don‘t think Zhenya‘s the type of skater who prefers to be the underdog. I think she‘s the type of skater who can compete in any situation as long as she believes in herself. Which was a matter last season.

2. I do think she “needs“ to do a Challenger. As a Russian lady it‘s pretty much not guaranteed at all who makes the team or the GPF, there are 7 girls this season who have a chance. Zhenya may very well be one of them but she also may not. And then it‘s important that she has some solid SB in case she isn‘t sent to Worlds and Euros. The Challengers in Spring usually don‘t count for SB. And anyway, I think a Challenger before the GP series starts is always a good first opportunity to let professional judges take a look at the programs, test them in competition, get back into the competitive mindset. I think it‘s important to do at least one. And it‘s not like last year, she has more time, so why shouldn‘t she? Shanghai Open is nice but it‘s like Japan Open, isn‘t it? Only the FS will be skated. Also, ACI is a bit problematic, it‘s right around the time test skates are, so jet lag would be a challenge. I don‘t know what her and her team’s plan is but for now, I‘d say I‘d rather if she did a Challenger. It just seems safer before the GP. But she‘ll know what‘s best herself, I‘m sure of that.

- - - Updated - - -

I think challengers are important for World standing points. So I do hope she does one.

You‘re right, that too. I forgot WS.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope she goes to Shanghai Trophy. I believe the event is every two years and she has never competed in China.

This year she is ready to compete. She only has her programs for 6 weeks or so before test skates. And getting a new routine in a new country it's amazing how well she did do. Now she is comfortable in her new environment.

bubblecherry

Final Flight
In my opinion, it's absolutely necessary for Zhenya to do a challenger before GP season. They really do set the tone and momentum for the season. Liza and Rika weren't in much consideration at all last season until they did well and built momentum through challengers. Zhenya only did one last season and didn't score well for her standards, and that also set the standard for her last season, too. It's unfortunate, but I think it's pretty important.

DeeDee18

On the Ice
I also think they need to do a challenger before the GP. I'm pretty sure there will be new combos/jump layouts (maybe a 4S if Zhenya is able to do it), so gotta try these things out before the harder competitions start

Placebo11

On the Ice
I think she knows what is right for her and will be ready. But nevertheless I'm very nervous about the next season.

Fluture

Record Breaker
I think she knows what is right for her and will be ready. But nevertheless I'm very nervous about the next season.

At this point I‘m mostly just really looking forward to the next season. Maybe I‘ll start to become a bit more anxious once competitions are really there but for now, I‘m just happy to see her skating again. She‘s shown last season that she can overcome anything and it taught me never to doubt her mental strength and determination again. Whatever happens, she will be fine. And we‘ll get to enjoy her beautiful skating + the new programs. (If we ever find out who did the FS, that is. :laugh: )

I also think they need to do a challenger before the GP. I'm pretty sure there will be new combos/jump layouts (maybe a 4S if Zhenya is able to do it), so gotta try these things out before the harder competitions start

Whatever they do, I just hope they have a bit more consistent layout next season. It gave me nightmares last year when she basically went into every competition with a different one. For now I have no idea what she‘ll do regarding the layout. Whether she‘ll make changes or keep the same... Some have speculated she‘ll introduce 3Lz+3Lo in her SP next season with the 3F as the solo jump. I don‘t know what to think of that, if she can land it consistently, sure, why not, but if not... it‘s a big risk, considering there‘s the edge issue as well. But I guess we‘ll first see at test skates.

Btw, team.moonbear has already planned to sit together just for them to cheer Zhenya on. :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bzz2FUGoAFc/?igshid=egm6niqn9v7n