Evgenia Medvedeva | Page 1091 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva

May03

Spectator
Thank you, @skatingfan200 for always keeping us up to date!

Also, Evgenia's Exogenesis video has over a million views :hap85:

I literally just wanted to post this!
I think this is such a great achievement, so far no other skater programme announcement got so many views. And as I said it before, that agent of hers, better keep busy cause she has massive advertising power as an athlete.

I was glad to see some new work with Pantene and I expect more things from Nike.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
https://i.imgur.com/T0RDyc7.png
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o_4n3WiGeo-Ls1fC4APgCKmeLBTd3rPY/view
Fan project from many Zhenya fans

----
Rafael Harutyunyan about Zhenya

(google translated)
- In this case, in the work of Evgenia Medvedeva with Orser, can we expect a real result only in the second year of work?

- "I think that this season Medvedeva had successful performances, and we should expect from her that she will be the same star as she is. The question is not what to expect from her. The star is the person who always proves that he is in the sports elite. Medvedeva, this year, proved it."
http://armnoc.am/rus/news/3621/rafayel-harutyunyan-cankacats-khndir-lutselu-hamar-anhrazhesht-e-hravirel-lavaguyn-masnagetneri.html

I agree with Rafael. :thumbsup: :)

I literally just wanted to post this!
I think this is such a great achievement, so far no other skater programme announcement got so many views. And as I said it before, that agent of hers, better keep busy cause she has massive advertising power as an athlete.

I was glad to see some new work with Pantene and I expect more things from Nike.

Yes! I agree that she can have major advertising power. Not only does she have the highest following in figure skating (only person higher that I can think of is Adam Rippon, correct me if wrong. But he is also an entertainment personality and was on DWTS), but engagement rates are also sometimes looked at more instead of follower counts.

Many influencers have engagement rates that are pretty low, like 3-5% of their actual followers. But Evgenia usually gets 100K+ likes on her photos. Which is a pretty high ratio of her followers. Not only does she have a lot of followers, she has a lot of active dedicated ones that are attractive to sponsors!

Question to you guys about Skate Canada GP. I don't know if this is just the few results I've looked at, but does Skate Canada have a stricter tech panel than other GPs and Challengers? I noticed Skate Canada has a pretty strict tech panel in comparison but idk if it was just this year. Maybe I'm biased, but I do love her SC FP performance. It was visually clean (there were edge calls, spin violations, a UR) but I think there were no major mistakes and it would have scored much higher than 137 at any other GP! Like at least 140+. And that was the winning FP, deservedly.

Also Autumn Classic seemed a little stricter than the other Challengers. Others seemed pretty lenient. Although admittedly, she was still transitioning and not in her best shape back in September. I know it's likely she will choose GP SC if she gets to choose! But idk, is that bad if she gets a lower score for tie-breaking?

This is selfish but I would love to see her at Skate America.

NoviceFan

Triple Something-Triple Looping
Medalist
Question to you guys about Skate Canada GP. I don't know if this is just the few results I've looked at, but does Skate Canada have a stricter tech panel than other GPs and Challengers? I noticed Skate Canada has a pretty strict tech panel in comparison but idk if it was just this year. Maybe I'm biased, but I do love her SC FP performance. It was visually clean (there were edge calls, spin violations, a UR) but I think there were no major mistakes and it would have scored much higher than 137 at any other GP! Like at least 140+. And that was the winning FP, deservedly.

Also Autumn Classic seemed a little stricter than the other Challengers. Others seemed pretty lenient. Although admittedly, she was still transitioning and not in her best shape back in September. I know it's likely she will choose GP SC if she gets to choose! But idk, is that bad if she gets a lower score for tie-breaking?

This is selfish but I would love to see her at Skate America.

OMG - I would love it if she went to Vegas. I think though, that she will do Skate Canada as she did last year.

And yes, I have observed (and read a lot about) how Skate Canada and ACI usually have pretty strict judging. At ACI, I remember Yuzu's spins were level 3 and one was invalidated (?) in the short - so it seems, unlike other competitions, there is no bonus for an olympic gold medal (or two) being given away at ACI :laugh: (not that Yuzu ever needs any kind of bonus to win, I think we all agree with that :agree:). I think they pretty much apply the rules more strictly than other competitions.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes! I agree that she can have major advertising power. Not only does she have the highest following in figure skating (only person higher that I can think of is Adam Rippon, correct me if wrong. But he is also an entertainment personality and was on DWTS), but engagement rates are also sometimes looked at more instead of follower counts.

Many influencers have engagement rates that are pretty low, like 3-5% of their actual followers. But Evgenia usually gets 100K+ likes on her photos. Which is a pretty high ratio of her followers. Not only does she have a lot of followers, she has a lot of active dedicated ones that are attractive to sponsors!

She received over 500K for her bowling Instagram. :biggrin:

luanddu

On the Ice
New interview:

She knows butterflies
Russian Stars on Ice skater worried by flittering insects, not the anxious moments before a routine

Twice world champion figure skater Evgenia Medvedeva has proven she’s a master at controlling the butterflies within when she glides onto competition ice.
Butterflies fluttering elsewhere are another matter.

In the midst of rehearsals ahead of her debut tour with Stars on Ice — which lands at Bell MTS Place on Wednesday night — Medvedeva confirmed a little-known fact.
For as long as she can remember, the 19-year-old Russian star has suffered from lepidopterophobia — the unrealistic fear of butterflies and moths.
"Everyone else is afraid of spiders and I’m afraid of butterflies. (If a butterfly comes near) I will start laughing and crying, both at the same time," the Olympic silver medallist revealed.
Medvedeva has no idea what sparked her phobia. She has met only one other person who shared her fear of lepidopterans.
Despite being seriously jet-lagged after travelling from South Korea to Halifax a day earlier, Medvedeva’s English language skills didn’t desert her as she chatted with the Free Press about the pros and cons of social media, her love of travel and her first tour with her Canadian figure skating friends.
Those friends call her Zhenya (it’s easier to pronounce than Evgenia, she explained) and include legendary world champions Elvis Stojko and Kurt Browning who, at 52, is back in the Stars on Ice fold after his intended retirement from touring didn’t take.

Patrick Chan and Kaetlyn Osmond, Canada’s most recent world singles champions and Olympic medallists, are again in Wednesday’s lineup, along with equally decorated pair skaters Eric Radford and Meagan Duhamel, who’s now skating with a baby on board. Reigning national men’s champ Nam Nguyen and world-class ice dance duos, Kaitlyn Weaver and Andrew Poje and Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier, complete the cast.
Medvedeva made figure-skating history at age 16 when she became the first woman to win the world junior and senior championship crowns back-to-back. Fans haven’t taken their eyes off her since.
Her 760,000 followers on Instagram (jmedvedevaj) — 10,000 more than she had just two weeks ago — are testament to her popularity.
"Honestly, it’s so inspiring and a little bit scary at the same time because you know that people are interested in you," Medvedeva said.
"It means that everything you are doing every day is not useless, but sometimes you get a feeling that everyone is following every movement so you can’t go to your own space."
On the Stars on Ice tour, Medvedeva performs two programs — one set to Beautiful Mess by Russian-Bulgarian singer Kristian Kostov and the other to Ariana Grande’s recent hit single 7 Rings.

After the athlete shared images on Instagram from her 7 Ringsperformance in Korea, fans gushed while trolls posted hateful comments disparaging her costume. Russian media picked up the story.
"I don’t care," Medvedeva said when asked how she reacts to the venom on social media. "I don’t always ignore it, but mostly they make me laugh. It’s just so funny."
Medvedeva spent the past year in Toronto training with coach Brian Orser and competed at Skate Canada in Laval, Que., but that’s all she had seen of Canada until Stars’ three-week trek from the Atlantic to the Pacific began. Ultimately, her longest tour to date will take her to 10 cities she had not visited before.
"I always love to travel and it’s really interesting. When you understand that you see really a lot in this sport, you can feel that you’re alive. You can feel the freedom. I am just so excited to see everything, just to feel freedom," said the globetrotting Muscovite who flies to Japan later this month for performances in four cities.

Asked to describe herself, Medvedeva selected one word — fierce.

That characteristic has served her well since she stepped into the global competition spotlight at age 14. At 15, Medvedeva won every junior level event she entered including the 2015 world title. Without skipping a beat, she won every senior championship the following two seasons, pocketing six gold medals in all.
A foot injury and Alina Zagitova, her even younger Russian training mate, halted Medvedeva’s winning streak early in 2018. She settled for silver at the Olympic Games in Pyeongchang, a mere 1.5 points out of first.
Medvedeva closed out this past season with a world bronze medal behind Zagitova and Kazakh skater Elizabet Tursynbayeva, who became the first woman to land a quadruple jump in senior competition. Now, Medvedeva is determined to add a quadruple — the salchow — to her own arsenal.
"We’ll see. I’ll work hard," she said.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
My main goal is to land a quad salchow. I will learn it as soon as I recover from injury. Recovery is going well, I am jumping already, I feel almost no pain. I’m careful and not jumping a lot, but I recovered all my jumps and even loop combos.
sounds like good news. Nearly no pain and jumps are back!

Maju

On the Ice
sounds like good news. Nearly no pain and jumps are back!
Thank God! Jumps are back and she seems to be doing quite well. It even seems like her goal is to land the quad sal this season rather than next as she said before. I hope she does. I know she can. She deserves to stand in the middle ;)