2014 JGP Ljubljana Junior Ladies FS | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2014 JGP Ljubljana Junior Ladies FS

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's the reason she went to Eteri. To clean up her delivery and package herself to win and get on podioums. It seems to be working. I didnt see any other junior skaters except Evgenia start their SP of with a CCoSp and then do StSeq saving all jumps for the last half but you can bet Seniors might be taking note of this little bit of info.

Meoima

Match Penalty
It's the reason she went to Eteri. To clean up her delivery and package herself to win and get on podioums. It seems to be working. I didnt see any other junior skaters except Evgenia start their SP of with a CCoSp and then do StSeq saving all jumps for the last half but you can bet Seniors might be taking note of this little bit of info.
the thing is Evgenia looks different but Serafima looks Yulia-like. I really enjoy her skate last season. She was poetic and had good flow. I don't say she has lost it. It's still there, but the new style is not really for her I have that feeling.

oleada

Record Breaker
I don't think Julia and Serafima are packaged similarly at all. They are different style off skaters to me. Julia is an introvert, Serafima is more of a performer.

treeloving

Medalist
Despite her brilliant skate, I can't enjoy Serafima like many people here do. Everything seems too rush for me.

Never watch Yuka skate before and enjoy her very much in this competition. I think she will be force in the future.

Alvoff

Spectator
I just wander - is it not common in the US competitions to congratulate winners? Watching medal ceremony for girls, not for the first time I see that all girls congratulates each other, but American one just going to her place and that's it.

LuisRollerArg

On the Ice
Lovely Jenni, but she looks so "Korpish", I guess that is for the coaches.. same flip, same lutz, same layback, same combo spin.. I hope she get her own style, she is beautiful to watch!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I just wander - is it not common in the US competitions to congratulate winners? Watching medal ceremony for girls, not for the first time I see that all girls congratulates each other, but American one just going to her place and that's it.
]

I am happy to assure you that the norm for U.S. skaters most definitely is to congratulate others on the podium.

(I did not see the medal ceremony in question, so I cannot speak to what did or did not happen in this case.)

ETA:

Is it possible that the organizers in Slovenia were under time constraints and instructed all the skaters not to offer physically demonstrative congratulations at the podium??

I just started watching the ice dance ceremony, and no handshakes or hugs were exchanged among the medalists (Russian, Canadian, and American) at the podium. But everyone smiled and looked happy.
So my hunch is that what happened with the ladies has NOTHING to do with the countries of the skaters -- or with the individual skaters themselves.​

Last edited:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I see too similarities to Yulia but I liked them. Serafima was so there! She starts to develop the champion's package. May be Yuka will be the force in the future may be not. So far she is simply not bad. One just cannot compare the two: 164 vs. 191. Yuka could just skate half a rink without any choreography. Serafima like Yulia does not have an empty second in her program. She could work on spins for sure but she already has the core.

hanca

Record Breaker
I can't see similarity at all. Serafima is very musical. She dances the program. Julia is not very musical at all. She can interpret it, but she definitely does not dance the program. Serafima's flexibility is more or less average. Not bad but not outstanding. Julia's flexibility is outstanding. So there is really nothing at all they have in common. completely different style. Serafima seems more powerful skater.

Meoima

Match Penalty
It's not about their's flexibility or musicality. It's about choreography.

Kittosuni

Medalist
I new there's something special about serafima when i first saw her. She seems hungry and determined. She slayed this competition! Congrats to Eteri also. 2/2 gold so far. So are we going to expect a same layout for julia's program too? All jumps on the second part? Eteri's group is really making a buzz right now with the tanos nd the demanding layout. Lol at the people complaining.

zamboni step

Final Flight
It's not about their's flexibility or musicality. It's about choreography.

I agree, the choreography of her FS was pretty bad (the worse part is the first segment shows promise)...I do like the SP a lot though. I'd rate her flexibility as below average for someone of her age, I don't understand why she does the biellmann, she doesn't need it for levels and it's really hurting the quality of the spin.

As for a similarity between Julia and Serafima? I don't see it, Julia has never been able to sell tacky like Serafima did in the second half of her FS and that's not necessarily a bad trait to have, she's more of an honest performer if that makes sense, it's translucent to the choreography; if the choreography is bad, the performance won't be good either. But if the choreography is good, be prepared for many well performed programs. Serafima on the other hand tries to sell what she has which leads to some unconvincing skates despite a good performance ability.

icellist

On the Ice
Serafima's tano jumps are so ugly. Leah's jumps were beautiful. TES wise, i guess that's how the cookie crumbles in COP.

on a music related note, loved that Keiser had a section of Joe Hisaishi in her LP. Serafima's LP sounds like the Sailor Moon soundtrack from the retro cartoon days.

oleada

Record Breaker
Serafima's tano jumps are so ugly. Leah's jumps were beautiful. TES wise, i guess that's how the cookie crumbles in COP.

on a music related note, loved that Keiser had a section of Joe Hisaishi in her LP. Serafima's LP sounds like the Sailor Moon soundtrack from the retro cartoon days.
Somebody sounds extremely bitter...haters gonna hate!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I'm so happy for Nagai. It wasn't brilliant, pushed her best FP score up more than 10 Points and she got the silver. I hope this boosts her confidence for the rest of this season.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Somebody sounds extremely bitter...haters gonna hate!

Russian junior ladies are so much better than the rest of the field that the only thing left to do is to discuss their flaws and hope that someone else will shoot magically in the future.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Russian junior ladies are so much better than the rest of the field that the only thing left to do is to discuss their flaws and hope that someone else will shoot magically in the future.
It's not about the flaw. It's about why they are applying the formula what worked with Yulia to Serafima. I don't think it's necessary because Serafima is poetic and she can stand on her own with a more distinctive style. Look at Evgenia Medvedeva, technically she might be superior, but she make people swoon over her. She is more memorable this season.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
^^^^I see no problems with that. The essence of the formula is to bypass rationale and appeal directly to emotions through choreography. Yulia has been the first - she drew crowds of fans most of whom had cared little about FS before that. What's wrong with yet another skater doing the same? It's just the overall feel and some movements. At the same time, as some people here pointed out when one goes to details she still could bring up multiple differences between the two.

As for Medvedeva, I would agree that she is lovely and unique in her style. Which is outstanding as she is with the same coach. Radionova has her style (frankly speaking so far it leaves me emotionally cold). Sotnikova is Sotnikova. I would argue that the variety is here and still I am happy that in terms of "Yulia's style" we have "a fully operational back-up".

Look at Korea - their best and only shot at this stage tries to become Yuna №2 and no one has issues with that

icellist

On the Ice
I'm not bitter, just a proponent of quality (beautifully done) versus quantity (checking GOE points, 'tano jumps). another example is most footworks these days. I have no problem with Serafima winning. And I do agree that Leah was lucky that everyone above her bombed.