Brian Joubert | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Brian Joubert

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I think Brian is being "forced" to use social media to promote DALS. ;) Well, he has to encourage people to vote for him somehow...

Here's his official profile https://vimeo.com/105797018 Does anyone speak French here? I only understand bits and pieces, but I think he is looking forward to the challenge, he's used to the individual sport of skating, he expects negative criticism...etc. The rest is too advanced for my ears.

LRK

Record Breaker
That's about as much as I got out of it too.... I don't suppose there will be a translation? Or a transcript so we could Google translate it? I'm afraid that if MaisondeJoubert do translate it, it will be into... Russian. Which is definitely from the frying pan into the fire for me. :)

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
Here's a rough translation of what Brian said:

"It's a good challenge for me, because I've only known skating so far, always by myself, in an individual sport, whereas now I have to perform with a partner, I have to share something, and I find this very interesting and enriching for my profession as well. I'm used to performing in public, but still it's all a big question mark, I don't know this discipline, but there are judges, the public, a dance floor [in French, piste de patinage= skating rink and piste de danse= dance floor], so this is quite similar to skating.
Of course, I'm a bit afraid of negative criticism, but that's what you need in order to progress and to question yourself.
I don't know ballroom dance at all, unlike Ice dance, in figure skating my steps weren't dance steps.
I think I can learn so much in this department, as well as team work: if I don't do my job, my partner will suffer the consequences too. On the other hand, I'll be able to share the stress, to talk with somebody before our performance, and this will be useful to cope with the stress.
I'm looking forward to learn tango, I really want to know and learn it.

See you on TF1 for DWTS"

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
Yes, thank you, bartlebooth!

I look forward to his tango, too!

Me too.
I liked his Tango SP last season, and then he goes and changes it with a verging-on-self-parody Morozov program.
Still, I was so happy when he performed it clean-ish at the Olympics.

GermaricanMix

On the Ice
The short version is, that the French fed yanked Brian from both his GP assignments, that he himself had honestly earned.

That's terrible! Why the hell would they do that? Was there a reason given? Poor Brian =(

I think Brian is being "forced" to use social media to promote DALS. ;) Well, he has to encourage people to vote for him somehow...

Here's his official profile https://vimeo.com/105797018 Does anyone speak French here? I only understand bits and pieces, but I think he is looking forward to the challenge, he's used to the individual sport of skating, he expects negative criticism...etc. The rest is too advanced for my ears.

oh my goodness so many new Brian things! This is all very exciting =D And thank you bartlebooth for the translation!

Meoima

Match Penalty
I am sure he will learn a lot from dancing with the star and use it for skating pair. :popcorn:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I'm late to the party (a rather sad party...), but thank you, LRK, for that long post explaining the Brian vs. French Fed. situation. I heard the relationship there wasn't good, but I didn't know the details until now. What incompetence mixed with spite! What is the point of screwing up your own skaters anyway? (The only thing I can think of is, "Scare them to make them more obedient in the future"... but even that makes no sense here since it's Brian's last season). And do to so in such a stupid manner...

No wonder Brian wants to skate for Russia. At the time, I thought his decision made no sense considering the depth of Russian pairs. But maybe he's just fed up with the French Fed. I mean, if he doesn't get to go to a GP because he doesn't place high enough in Russian nationals... at least that's better than not getting a GP no matter! (lol, not attending French Masters as sanction excuse) Now I worry for Aliona and Bruno should they decide to skate for France.

I am sure he will learn a lot from dancing with the star and use it for skating pair. :popcorn:
That's exactly what I was thinking! (Well, my second thought. My first thought: Oh man, my French is rusty).

GermaricanMix

On the Ice
So this is a bit off topic, but I'm looking at French Jr skaters and this skate by Simon Hocquaux makes me wonder if his program was Brian inspired. Since he's skating to Inception and all.

glam

On the Ice
So this is a bit off topic, but I'm looking at French Jr skaters and this skate by Simon Hocquaux makes me wonder if his program was Brian inspired. Since he's skating to Inception and all.

Could be :) Too bad the current judging system doesn't encourge skaters like Brian, you know bodywise. Nowadays you need to be super flexible to get all the levels in spins for example. I think Brian was the last guy who represented that kind of masculine skating, with Tomas Verner. You can already see it in juniors, most of the skaters have a very lyrical style and there's nothing wrong with that, but I would like to see more variety.

GF2445

Record Breaker
When is the french version of dancing with the stars/Strictly come dancing starting?

LRK

Record Breaker
27th September, I think?

LMDJ@MaisonDeJoubert · 13 sep

TF1 lance la cinquième saison de "Danse avec les Stars" dès le samedi 27 septembre en direct http://xfru.it/4RtaVG #DALS5 #BrianJoubert

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Could be :) Too bad the current judging system doesn't encourge skaters like Brian, you know bodywise. Nowadays you need to be super flexible to get all the levels in spins for example. I think Brian was the last guy who represented that kind of masculine skating, with Tomas Verner. You can already see it in juniors, most of the skaters have a very lyrical style and there's nothing wrong with that, but I would like to see more variety.

Well, there's Max Aaron - although he's not quite my cup of tea for some reason. I agree with you, I like to see all styles of skaters as long as they are true to themselves.

I also thought of Brian when I saw Simon - I liked him. Hope he sticks around for awhile. :)

Meoima

Match Penalty
Well, I think young boys are trying to make use of their "flexibility" as long as possible since they might lose it as they grow.

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
It happened to me the same thing described by LRK a few pages ago. I put a link to an interview to Maé.Bérénice Meité by the same blogger guy SkateGuard that interviewed Préaubert, and she had nice words for Brian, too.
When asked who her all-time favorites were, she mentioned, between others, Brian:

Brian Joubert: through up and downs he has always showed what a real champion is. He has so many titles but I admire this most... even when people didn't believe in him, he just kept doing what he really loves.

LRK

Record Breaker
It happened to me the same thing described by LRK a few pages ago. I put a link to an interview to Maé.Bérénice Meité by the same blogger guy SkateGuard that interviewed Préaubert, and she had nice words for Brian, too.
When asked who her all-time favorites were, she mentioned, between others, Brian:

Brian Joubert: through up and downs he has always showed what a real champion is. He has so many titles but I admire this most... even when people didn't believe in him, he just kept doing what he really loves.

Thanks, bartlebooth!

And yay, Maé-Bérénice! :)