The Illusion Spin | Golden Skate

The Illusion Spin

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jacqueline du Bief.jpg

The "illusion spin" was accidentally invented by Jacqueline du Bief (FRA) when she lost control on the entrance into a camel spin. Which skaters do you think perform the best ones?

Last edited:

elif

Medalist
Sotnikova of course. :agree: I expect new rule changes for this spin, some of them is too ugly. :disapp:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
There are some good illusion spins but there are some really ugly ones too.

I think what defines a good illusion spin is the ability to keep a straight line from the head to the toe without bending/kicking the free leg to sustain the motion.

I think Adelina has one of, if not the, best illusion spins right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rrC93Oe2QE#t=91

I think Anna Pogorilaya has one of the worst ones of the top ladies. Whereas Adelina's illusion seems to start at the top of her head with her free leg following the motion, Anna's illusion is completely driven by her kicking her free leg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cWVnXsR7x0#t=125 The leg is bent and wild looking...it's just not a pretty move for her.

I'm trying to think of some other nice illusions. I see a number of nice illusions in footwork but not that many great ones in the spins nowadays.

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
I'm not very fond of illusion spins, only Sotnikova and Asada make me appreciate this move.

francefox

Rinkside
im not a big fan of sotnikova but i must credit her for executing that jump beautifully, total control on that spin

Skategmt

On the Ice
Some illusion spins look more like a failed camel than an actual illusion, so Im not shocked to hear that illusions were failed camels originally. Although I like her, I think Edmunds has an awkward illusion, she doesn't dip her head down or get her free leg extended into the air high enough. I like illusions in combination to other spins, I don't like them in step sequences where some skaters have been putting them

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I LOVE the illusion spin. So few skaters can perform it well; Sotnikova has the best illusion spin, Asada's is decent, and Pogorilaya's is bad, to put it mildly.

breynows

On the Ice
I'm not a fan of illusion spins, they doesn't even look like a spin.
Carolina and Adelina do the only acceptable ones.

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
I agree with lilahozi - Most skaters perform the illusion spin rather poorly. As a former baton twirler, I was pleased to see a common baton twirling move (toss illusion, toss double illusion, etc.) on ice, but mortified by the poor technique I saw from (the vast majority of the) top-tier skaters. Skaters could definitely take some tips from baton twirlers when it comes to illusion technique!

gkelly

Record Breaker
We're seeing a lot of illusions as entries to spins this season, especially forward illusion into layback, as so far the most common example of the new difficult entry level feature.

For the last several years we've been seeing them in step sequences as one way to include full-body movement.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I like Sotnikova's illusion and she executes it very well ... would prefer a bit more of a split but it's still clean -- a lot of illusions look sloppy, like Osmond's and Kostner's, but it's an incredibly hard spin to execute properly, since your core is constantly shifting up and down, rather than a static core position (like most spin positions) where you don't bob your centre of gravity up and down.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Adelina immediately came to mind for me as well.

When I first saw fs as a child, the occasional illusion spin was my absolute favorite move above all else :love:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I agree that Sotnikova has the best illusion spin, not just the straight line she keeps, but also she can do that continuously.

Taan

On the Ice
I DETEST poorly done illusion spins, one of my biggest pet peeves in skating. Almost no one does them well but I suppose many try to garner extra CoP points/levels. sigh.:eek:hwell:

starlight97

Final Flight
Many do them to get points but they look just plain ugly.

The only one who has a good one is Sotnikova, she executes it very well.
There are SO many possible positions, I don't get why say Pogorilaya chooses THIS position when it clearly does no good for her :/