2014 JGP Ostrava Czech Skate Ladies SP | Golden Skate

2014 JGP Ostrava Czech Skate Ladies SP

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Zamboni is on the ice after the first two groups. Karen Chen is in the next group! :popcorn:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Even though Karen's content was not as hard as we've seen from her, I actually thought her jumps looked really good and much bigger than we've seen from her previously.

Wondering if we might see that 3L-2T become a 3L-3T later?

Wow 60+ without 3-3 is pretty incredible. She must've received some major level 4s and +GOE.

oleada

Record Breaker
Hated Karen's program! Why give her such dreary music to such a special skater? I thought the score was generous.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hated Karen's program! Why give her such dreary music to such a special skater? I thought the score was generous.

YMMV I didn't think it was so bad! I thought she really got into it.

I hope so! She's already done a 3lz+3lo....

That's true, but that was pre-injury. I have a feeling that maybe the injury she dealt with is an odd blessing in disguise and Tammy decided to break things down and solidify her technique rather than rush her back to her old technical content. Her jumps really improved, IMO.

Last edited:

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
I thought the score for Karen was generous, especially considering Medvedeva got only 1 point more in France with 3-3..

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I thought the score for Karen was generous, especially considering Medvedeva got only 1 point more in France with 3-3..

Karen has really good spins. That layback likely got some +2 (maybe even a +3). She also did the 3Z and the 2A in the halfway point. (And the 2A had a cool bracket entrance!)

oleada

Record Breaker
YMMV I didn't think it was so bad! I thought she really got into it.

That's true, but that was pre-injury. I have a feeling that maybe the injury she dealt with is an odd blessing in disguise and Tammy is using the time away to perhaps solidify her technique. Her jumps really improved, IMO.
I may be biased because I hate RFAD. But overall the program was nothing special and was empty in parts. Karen has such nice expression that IDK why use RFAD. Her spins and combo were nice.

gotoschool

Medalist
Even though Karen's content was not as hard as we've seen from her, I actually thought her jumps looked really good and much bigger than we've seen from her previously.

Wondering if we might see that 3L-2T become a 3L-3T later?

Wow 60+ without 3-3 is pretty incredible. She must've received some major level 4s and +GOE.

I really liked Karen Chen. She skated with a lot of energy, grace, good speed in and out of her jumps, a wonderful step sequence, and flexible, fast spins with nice positions. Definitely think she deserved the score. However, I agree on the dreary music. I have seen the movie Requiem for a Dream a couple of times during my dreary days and I just can't get those awful images out of my mind when I hear it.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I think Karen can interpret this kind of music, especially thinking she also skated to this music in a single ice dance competition perhaps two years ago? From what I know from her blog, she is also a very good painter. Her jumps look more solid now. I hope she can just grow taller.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Anthony Liu seems to be coaching quite a lot of junior Asian skaters, along with Tatsuki Machida. Where is his team based?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Anthony Liu seems to be coaching quite a lot of junior Asian skaters, along with Tatsuki Machida. Where is his team based?

Southern California, I believe....I think he was once at Lake Arrowhead.

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
Medvedeva got dinged for flutzing though, which by itself made her lose potentially over 3 to 4 points. (karens lutz had a true outside edge takeoff.)

Given evgenias skating skills, if she can throw out a true lutz today and go clean otherwise then a score 5+ points higher than Karens 60.68 seems fair in exchange for actually doing a 3-3 -- even despite Karen having superior spins 😉

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Latvia's Angelina Kuchvalska just bested her PB by 5 points! While a score in the high 40's isn't really great for medal contention, it's still nice to see skaters from countries besides the big ones of US/Japan/Russia/etc. improve. And Deniss Vasiljevs is starting to succeed as well.

catchie

On the Ice
Latvia's Angelina Kuchvalska just bested her PB by 5 points! While a score in the high 40's isn't really great for medal contention, it's still nice to see skaters from countries besides the big ones of US/Japan/Russia/etc. improve. And Deniss Vasiljevs is starting to succeed as well.

I seriously can't believe what I'm seeing! Girl has definitely worked this summer! Last season she had only 2 stable triples (sal and toe) and sometimes she landed the loop too, and if I remember correctly, she tried flip in one B competition, but she either fell or had underrotation/downgrade (I don't remember). And now she has a 3Lz and 3T+3T from nowhere. Also her bielmann doesn't look as horrible as it always does (well, still not very good, but MUCH better). Can't wait to see her new FS (El Tango de Roxanne) ! And this is not all, next week in JGP Japan, there will be one more girl Diana Nikitina debuting as junior an she's a strong one! A big YAY for Latvia! Certainly did not see this coming! :yay: