2014 JGP Ostrava Czech Skate Ladies Free Skate | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2014 JGP Ostrava Czech Skate Ladies Free Skate

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I haven't seen any footage yet but the protocols are up. Karen must have skated fairly well to match Medvedeva on PCS scores and have the second highest PCS scores.

You will be surprised :D

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I disagree with Karen's PCS given all her errors. But at least it's not a personal best PCS.

Mariko's PCS should have been higher and the gap between them after the SP shouldn't have been so large given when they each executed. Karen is however a much better skater overall.

Had Chen had a clean 3-3 SP I think a bronze would be deserved but Kihara was more technically sound over both segments so even if Chen is better Kihara deserved the higher placement, when considering SP+LP.

gotoschool

Medalist
Wakaba and Evgenia were really impressive. Good to see two great clean skates and such a heated competition for first this time. For me, it was a battle of Wakaba's more powerful jumps and superior skating skills against Evgenia's superior artistry, interpretation and balletic grace. Both of their jumps are really beautiful to me, but I would give a slight edge to Wakaba, as the protocols indicate. One thing that helped Wakaba win the freeskate was that she had 2 points more in base tech score, 59 to 57 and 4 jumps with over 1 GOE compared to only 2 for Engenia and Evgenia lost 2.4 points on base value of her lutz. Evgenia made a little bit back on the spins which helped her win overall, but not enough for the freeskate. I love Evgenia's artistry and expression, but Wakaba's fighter spirit to come from behind and the beauty of her jumps reminds me of Mao, so I don't know who I like better now. I think if Wakaba could develop a Biellmann, some nice spirals and a little more balletic grace like Evgenia has, she would be at the top. I think Evgenia just needs more speed and a little better height and rotation on jumps like Wakaba.

I don't know if it was right to put Karen Chen with two foot landing and a fall over Mariko Kihara clean. I guessed that Karen's score would be around 100 in the FS before I saw it and thought she should have a higher PCS. but I thought Mariko's should have scored a little higher. I do think Karen has better more flexible spins, skating skills, and artistry, so overall I don't have a big problem with it. If there was one thing that took away from Kihara's otherwise wonderful performance for me, it was the relative lack of speed or fluidity compared to the top three, though I thought her balletic grace compensated a lot for this. I think this may have been the reason she received lower PCS.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It is interesting that Karen had the highest Transition/Linking Footwork/Movement score at 6.21

Comparing her to Medvedeva...the only two skates I've watched so far...I don't think Karen's Transitions were better. Karen did have a great StSeq and her SS were strong but I find it perplexing that a good looking jump with an (e) can cause so much harm to scores yet when someone falls and doesn't connect their elements they get no reduction. I've seen falls where skaters pop right back into their program and I didn't see that from Karen personally.

Anyway....Evgenia was pretty good today. I really like how her personality comes out on the ice. Good luck to her in preparation for the JGPF. I'm looking forward to watching Wakaba :)

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Yay for Wakaba. She's going full speed ahead at her first JGP. I'm so happy for her.
And for the other girls too. Well done and some really nice performances today.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Wakaba is just 13 years old, isn't she? Awesome! :popcorn: I am not fond of her style, but to beat Evgenia in the free...wow...

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Wakaba is just 13 years old, isn't she? Awesome! :popcorn: I am not fond of her style, but to beat Evgenia in the free...wow...

You know how some days you just know a skater is going to land everything? That's what I felt from Wakaba today. She was steady and ticked off all her boxes. I'd like her to get a bit more graceful in the future, but she has speed and attack and height in her jumps which is appealing on its own.
Performance ability will grow with time and she's only 13. So much to look forward to!

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
It is interesting that Karen had the highest Transition/Linking Footwork/Movement score at 6.21

Comparing her to Medvedeva...the only two skates I've watched so far...I don't think Karen's Transitions were better. Karen did have a great StSeq and her SS were strong but I find it perplexing that a good looking jump with an (e) can cause so much harm to scores yet when someone falls and doesn't connect their elements they get no reduction. I've seen falls where skaters pop right back into their program and I didn't see that from Karen personally.
Anyway....Evgenia was pretty good today. I really like how her personality comes out on the ice. Good luck to her in preparation for the JGPF. I'm looking forward to watching Wakaba :)
So what do you think? Deserved 3rd place or not? Your opinion is always interesting for me, I don't even know why :)

BRASILwmr

Rinkside
Wakaba and Evgenia were really impressive. Good to see two great clean skates and such a heated competition for first this time. For me, it was a battle of Wakaba's more powerful jumps and superior skating skills against Evgenia's superior artistry, interpretation and balletic grace. Both of their jumps are really beautiful to me, but I would give a slight edge to Wakaba, as the protocols indicate. One thing that helped Wakaba win the freeskate was that she had 2 points more in base tech score, 59 to 57 and 4 jumps with over 1 GOE compared to only 2 for Engenia and Evgenia lost 2.4 points on base value of her lutz. Evgenia made a little bit back on the spins which helped her win overall, but not enough for the freeskate. I love Evgenia's artistry and expression, but Wakaba's fighter spirit to come from behind and the beauty of her jumps reminds me of Mao, so I don't know who I like better now. I think if Wakaba could develop a Biellmann, some nice spirals and a little more balletic grace like Evgenia has, she would be at the top. I think Evgenia just needs more speed and a little better height and rotation on jumps like Wakaba.

I don't know if it was right to put Karen Chen with two foot landing and a fall over Mariko Kihara clean. I guessed that Karen's score would be around 100 in the FS before I saw it and thought she should have a higher PCS. but I thought Mariko's should have scored a little higher. I do think Karen has better more flexible spins, skating skills, and artistry, so overall I don't have a big problem with it. If there was one thing that took away from Kihara's otherwise wonderful performance for me, it was the relative lack of speed or fluidity compared to the top three, though I thought her balletic grace compensated a lot for this. I think this may have been the reason she received lower PCS.

I totally agree. Wakaba's 3 Lz was divine. I can to remember the Yuna's Lz :cry:. I think Medvedeva is ok, not a gorgeous program. The excess of tano positions in jumps, wrong edge in Lz (for almost all Russian junior girls) are bothering me. I'm not seeing anything beyond robotic programs for russian girls. But Evgenia have higher jumps, different of Sakhanovich.
I wish to see more dedication of the japanese girls in this season well as Higuchi.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So what do you think? Deserved 3rd place or not? Your opinion is always interesting for me, I don't even know why :)

I've only seen the two skates so I can't even guess but what is weird for me is I was singing high praise to Karen in the SP thread. She really is good and carried herself with a quick flow that made her program wiz by. Today was uninspiring for me and not just the falls. These juniors will be the death of me:bang:

It's hard to think Karen's PCS should be on par with Evgenia for today. Maybe Evgenia's was low?

I appreciate that someone finds my posts interesting. I'm sure many just find them as Yulia obsessed dribble drabble :laugh:

To be honest.....I wish I knew what Skyfly_20 thought of all this.

BRASILwmr

Rinkside
About karen I think her expressiveness and artitics components are above the ordinary for a junior skater. Her facial expressions actually follow the music. But in her FS, seems she lost it, I just noticed the desperation in wanting to land the jumps. I hope to see her well inthe rest of the season.:slink:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Evgenia is just a joy to watch.
Wakaba has such a mature presence that I cannot believe she is only 13! Her jumps are great but just her lines could be better.

NMURA

Medalist
Skating skills
Medovedeva 6.61
Higuchi 6.57
Chen 6.57

The judges appreciate Wakaba's SS fair and square. Probably her PCS will catch up with Medvedeva and Chen by the time of junior worlds. Higuchi is clearly more promising than Medvedeva who will never make it to Euros and worlds representing Russia.

Wakaba has such a mature presence that I cannot believe she is only 13! Her jumps are great but just her lines could be better.

I think her lines are similar to Midori Ito. Higuchi says that her goal of this season is landing a 3A. Maybe JGPF is a good place to challenge. I'm expecting for that.

catchie

On the Ice
Can anybody explain me why Angelina's 3S+2Lo+2Lo was invalid? I checked the protocols and couldn't get it, because that wasn't her 3rd 3S and 2Lo's also were just two and that is allowed. So why?

HJJ

Rinkside
Angelina already repeated 3lutz and 3toe. 3sal was the third repeated jump. You are allowed to repeat only two kinds of triple.

humbaba

Final Flight
Higuchi is a breath of fresh air. I love "soft" skaters, but I don't want to see ladies' skating become an uninterrupted parade of waifs and ballerinas. I appreciate the power and athleticism Higuchi brings to the table.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I think her lines are similar to Midori Ito. Higuchi says that her goal of this season is landing a 3A. Maybe JGPF is a good place to challenge. I'm expecting for that.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree, and I think she will probably land 3A someday. But Midori Ito was competing at a time when stocky skaters were more common. In recent years, all top skaters are pretty the opposite: Mao, Yuna, Caro, Yulia, Gracie, Edmunds… It's hard for stocky skaters to have spectacular spins at least. Think about how the quality of Mirai spins suffered. But Wakaba is only 13. She may grow much taller in the next few years. Interesting nobody mentioned "puberty monster" here.