comments from non figure skating fans | Golden Skate

comments from non figure skating fans

lulu

Final Flight
What are some comments from your non fs friends/family?

I was showing my friend a pairs compliation, and she was amazed at all of the moves in unison.
She was however, very annoyed by all of the commentators talking.

Another friend of mine reacted to Plushenko's 4-3-3 at worlds with a "WOW":laugh:

And since I spend most of my time at work on the internet looking at FS sites, everyone at work knows I'm a fs fan. Interestingly, when I talked about FS with some people, the only fs they knew about were Torville and Dean. And one lady only knew them as "the couple with the purple on at the Olympics"

Any other comments from the non-skating viewing public?

sarahmistral

On the Ice
My mother's sick to death and bored to tears with "that woman who always skates to Malaguena" (which is Maria Butyrskaya and Sasha Cohen; she saw both but is mostly peeved to hear the music...again and again):laugh:

Sarah

Ximena

Final Flight
Well once my brother came up when I was watching Sasha Cohen International Challenge (season ago when she did Rach and won) and he told me. "Is she the best?" and I said "hmm no, at least no in my opinion" and he answer "how can it be someone better than her?" and that discussion ended right there.
I watched Worlds with him (mostly because he was keeping me in company) and we watched Men SP & FP, Ladies FP, Dance FP and Pairs FP and. He knows almost nothing on FS, mostly he knows skaters had to jump and that's it. here are his comments form the men sP

After MEN SP, he did more but this one that one I remember the most

"ok the blond guy...he is the best RIGHT?"
"ok that was a 4-4 right? where he get that strength" Lindeman SP, he got too impressed by his 4-3
"how come he can be in that group" Eman
"Is that allowed?" Lambiel spins

then I told him that there was 8 elements there and he said "But I only saw three" for him is all about the jumps

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Most people know I love figure skating and Evgeni (as I have a pic of him and me on my desk :D) and this teacher came down after worlds all upset.

"That blonde guy you like won AGAIN. He always wins. I liked the French guy better."

I said, fine, but Evgeni's program was much more difficult, and she said, "WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING?"

Um, yeah.

Laura :)

Rixis

On the Ice
My grandmother thinks that Evgeni has a hot body! Besides that, the family will watch it with me, and comment about how pretty it was but they usually don't have much to say about the outcomes.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
My mom cant watch ladies figure skating for very long because it makes her cry. Everytime someone has a very good program and skates cleanly she gets all teary eyed and says "Its just such an accomplishment for them, I'm so happy" I cant imagine how much of a wreck she would be if I was on the ice.

She LOVED elvis, I think mostly for the leather pants.

kappa_1

On the Ice
"Yes she more look like an athlete...kinda tough"
"Yea, Michelle Kwan on the other hand look like she tryin' to be a swan"
"(laughs) Yes this one looks kinda ret**ded"
[conversation between my mother and sister watching worlds 2002, and comparing Irina Slutskaya (the first and third comments) to Kwan (the second comment).]
Clearly they have not seen some of the gaudier swan interpretations if they think that Kwan is trying to be a swan.

"Oh wow that's the best thing she can do....(5 seconds later)...WHAT!? how can she DOOOOO that!? She is definitely not a virgin she can not be!"
[a friend doubting Sasha's flexibility, then trying to imitate her spiral]

*Note, btw that some of the dialogue is not my broken grammar or typos, but is Jamaican English creole- a form closer to the standard English (or Acrolect). Note also that typing the preceding few lines is my exam revision, or an excuse for going online. :) ;)

SusanBeth

Final Flight
''So falling on hard things beats not falling on easy things?'' Plushenko at Euros.

''I didn't know guys could do that.'' Plushenko's Beilman

Lots of like/hate the costumes remarks. My youngest tends to hope the best costume wins.

ATW27

On the Ice
When my dad decides to watch skating with me, we usualy end up playing 20 questions; the most common question is, "Now what's that move called?" Once, I even tried to demonstrate a popped jump (not very well) when he wanted to know what one was.
Dad's not realy a fan, but he does enjoy watching every once and awhile. Actually, he does remember more that a few of the skaters from the 60's, such as the Protopopovs.
Also, I watched the Ladies and Dance coverage of this year's Worlds with a good friend of mine. She does like skating, and in that past has been to see Champions on Ice with her aunt. Anyway, while watching, she made a few comments about some of the ladies physical appearence. For instance, her comments on Sasha were (and I hope I don't upset anyone; I'm just relating what she said. these are not my words) "She's got no boobies!" and, a while later, when it was time of her LP, "there's flaty!" She didn't like Katarina Witt's eyebrows either. As she said later, mainly as a joke, "I don't care how well you skate; It's how you look that's important!"
I guess skating realy is a subjective sport, in more ways than one!

Andy W.

R

Rebecca

My roomate frequently tapes figure skating for his girlfriend while she's at work, and he's one of the ones who thinks that the best costume should win... or the best music. He was deeply dissapointed and confused when "the matrix dude" didn't win. "Come on - it's THE MATRIX!" Oh, he's deep.

Vash01

Medalist
I was explaining to my nephews while watching the US nationals this year. When I said, "that's a camel spin" my 7 year old nephew said, "I like it. I like camels." Next time he recognized the camel spin immediately.

A little later, when Johhny Weir was about to step on the ice, both my nephews (ages 7 and 9) said, "He looks like a GIRL!" Throughout his LP they kept asking, "but why does Johnny Weir look like a GIRL?"

I had no answer.

Vash

Longhornliz

Final Flight
OMG!!!! When I was little I used to wish that the best costume or the prettiest skater would win!!!

Last night my tipsy boyfriend watched figure skating clips on my computer and was singing "What would Brian Boytano Do?" from the southpark movie over and over... each skater would take the ice and he would say "Are they as badass as brian boytano??"

ATW27- This is my mothers comment when watching nationals this year "Michelle is clearly going to win because she has bigger t*ts than that swan girl" ... She says these things mostly to get a rise out of me.

Last edited:

ATW27

On the Ice
Longhornliz -
There was a follow up of sorts from my friend commenting on Sasha's (ahem!) size. Later, while watching Lisa Guerrero interviewing someone (I don't recall who), she says, refering to Guerrero,
"Now, SHE has got BOOBS!"
She also made some comments on the FD costumes. Well, mainly about Winkler & Lohse's. Or more, more exact, Lohse's.

Andy W.

Last edited:

blurrysarah

On the Ice
Whenever my skating-clueless parents see me watching my skating videos, they always ask "Is that Michelle Kwan?".
It's the only ladies figure skater they know of, but they'll ask this whether the skater is asian, or white, or black, or male. :eek:

floskate

On the Ice
I recently took a tape of MK preforming EOE at World Pro's to show my dance students. It was just to demonstrate the kind of performance skills Michelle uses to relate to an audience - well actually it was an excuse to watch MK in work but hey!!

They watched in silence and the first thing they commented was:
"awful hair!"
" I know and the dress makes her look pregnant!"

So I said - "but what about her - how did she make you feel?"

Nothing, silence, clueless - there is no hope for them!!!!!:cry:

Watching the '02 Olympics, a friend's then 9-year-old son Cameron had much to say about the pairs event. First of all, when his mother saw John Zimmerman and said, "He's cute," Cameron said, "I'm gonna tell Dad you said that! I'm telling Dad you wanna get in a hot tub with that guy!"

About the pairs in general, Cameron said things like, "Oh, ick! He's putting his hand right where she p**s!" and "Gross! Now she's gonna have to have a baby!"

There were more Cameron jewels, but you get the gist. His mom, BTW, thought it was hilarious, but said, "Hot tubs?! He's nine! What does he know about hot tubs?"
Rgirl

mpal2

Final Flight
My family just watches for the falls and then they laugh hysterically. If they say anything else, it's just to make me mad, usually it's a comment that all FS men must be gay.

mariana

On the Ice
mpal2 said:
My family just watches for the falls and then they laugh hysterically. If they say anything else, it's just to make me mad, usually it's a comment that all FS men must be gay.
My brother does that to!:laugh:
And the other day my parents where watching the worlds free dance with me and all they were saying was: Wow, they are really good! To every single couple that took the ice that night!!!
And when I asked them who they thought was the best couple they said that all of them deserved the gold!
I mean, it was a good competition, but you can't compare D&S to the chinese couple!:mad::p

Last edited:

Lucy25

Final Flight
My parents both love Michelle Kwan. I always watch Nationals with them and this year they said that no one compares to her. Of course my brother always wants to know why Michelle is always skating (in reference to she and many other skaters being of Asian decent :sheesh: ) Another brother called me during Nationals last year and asked why Sasha was skating because she looked about twelve. I told him that she had been voted Fox Sports' Hottest Woman in Sports and he started laughing hysterically. I had to hang up on him. Whenever I see him now, he bursts out laughing. My sister says that Sasha's moves are "just so precise!". My parents love Belbin & Agosto, and my mom cried during Johnny Weir's World's LP. About the "all male figure skaters are gay" idea, all five of my very athletic brothers think this. They say that no matter how "masculine" a performance that Elvis or Michael does, they are still gay.:sheesh: :sheesh:

Last edited: