Mirai Nagasu's future prospects | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu's future prospects

The athlete selection procedure for the 2014 World Championships is as follows:

The winner in each discipline (ladies, men’s, pairs and ice dance) at the 2014 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships, Jan. 5-12, in Boston, will earn an automatic spot on the 2014 World Team. The remaining team members in each discipline will be selected by U.S. Figure Skating’s International Committee, taking into consideration the results of events in the following order of importance:
  • 2014 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships
  • 2013 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final
  • 2013 ISU World Figure Skating Championships
  • 2013 ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships
  • 2013 ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships
  • 2013 ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final
Skaters who do not compete at the 2014 U.S. Championships due to injury or illness, but who meet the other criteria, may also be considered for selection.[/I][/INDENT]

Looking at the official criteria, it is hard to find fault with the decisions of the USFSA selection committee for 2014 Worlds.

Abbott: U.S. Nationals, 1st. Automatic for Worlds.
Aaron: U,S. Nationals 3rd, 2013 Four Continents 4th, 2013 Worlds 7th
Brown: U.S. Nationals 2nd, 2013 Jr. Worlds 2nd.

Gold: U.S. Nationals 1st. Automatic for Worlds.
Edmunds: U .S. Nationals 2nd, Jr. GPF 4th
Nagasu: U.S. Nationals 3rd.
Wagner: U.S. Nationals 4th, 2013 Worlds 5th, GP Final 3rd.

If I didn't miss something, these are the only results that count, with U.S. Nationals weighted the heaviest and with International senior result weighted more than junior results.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai is about to skate her SP at the Broadmoor competition. Ashley Cain just skated her SP and nailed it with a score of 66.41.

Oops, Mirai botched all three jumps. Double-footed and URd the opening combo, stumbled on the solo jump, and stepped out of the 2a. Sad to say, she was expressionless throughout the program, the same way she has been the last four years.

Scores:
Ashley Cain 66.41
Mariah Bell 57.70
Mirai Nagasu 53.19

Ashley Cain could be spoiler this year for the US. Big score for a summer competition.

Icey

Record Breaker
Re muscle memory: some skater's muscles must be better at remembering than that of others :laugh:. Actually, a very intriguing subject.

Icey

Record Breaker
Mirai is about to skate her SP at the Broadmoor competition. Ashley Cain just skated her SP and nailed it with a score of 66.41.

Oops, Mirai botched all three jumps. Double-footed and URd the opening combo, stumbled on the solo jump, and stepped out of the 2a. Sad to say, she was expressionless throughout the program, the same way she has been the last four years.

Scores:
Ashley Cain 66.41
Mariah Bell 57.70
Mirai Nagasu 53.19

What a disappointing start for Mirai. I saw a vid of Cain's performance, which was impressive. Is there a vid of Mirai's

samson

Medalist
Word on the street is her sp is Variation 18 from Rhapsaody on a Theme From Paganini by Rachmaninoff.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
What a disappointing start for Mirai. I saw a vid of Cain's performance, which was impressive. Is there a vid of Mirai's

She has been with Tom Z for a bit, I do wonder if they are reworking technique. This would be the time to do it.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe all that work on a 3a has disrupted her timing on the 2a, because she had to step out of it to keep from falling backwards.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai should not even be thinking about a 3axel at this time. At 21 i don't think any Ladies skater who ever did the 3axel got it at that age plus Mirai just isn't explosive enough to land one. 4 years ago perhaps but not since then her body has changed.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai's focus should be on fully rotating her jumps, especially her triples. At Broadmoor, none of her jumps appeared to be fully rotated or cleanly landed, not even her 2a. Her spins were great, but no one ever won a competition on spins alone. And her facial expression is still that of a wooden dummy. She has to show that she is interested and involved in what she is doing on the ice, and not appear so detached and aloof.

willdu

On the Ice
Good comeback for Mirai at Broadmoor. First reports in from twitter: (@sylviaunseen)

Good jumping day for @mirai_nagasu :) she landed 3F2T, big 2A2T, 3Lz, 3Lo2T, 3F, 3Lo, 2A(hung on) & scored 117.29 to win FS. #BroadmoorOpen
#BroadmoorOpen Sr Ladies: @mirai_nagasu just debuted her Madame Butterfly FS w/ lyrics incl. the famous soprano aria (choreo by @Adaripp)

Places second by 6 points due to the short program deficit.

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
nice comeback Mirai!
Very good score

Ashley Cain 176.76
Mirai Nagasu 170.48
Mariah Bell 145.17

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I was disheartened by the report on her SP at Broadmoor but her FS comeback raised my spirits again a little bit. That being said she can't afford such deficits in the GP's. I hope she trains hard and comes out swinging at Skate America.

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
54.73 for TES
62.56 for PCS

The PCS is higher than what she got at the US Nationals and 2011 4CC o.o..... Must have been some kind of masterpiece program lol

Just checked and this is the highest PCS she has ever received! :eek: :eek:

willdu

On the Ice
54.73 for TES
62.56 for PCS

The PCS is higher than what she got at the US Nationals and 2011 4CC o.o..... Must have been some kind of masterpiece program lol

To be fair, that bond program was unfortunately empty in too many places. Maybe it was the camera angles at Nationals but it seemed less CoPish with fewer transitions than before on the GP series.

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
To be fair, that bond program was unfortunately empty in too many places. Maybe it was the camera angles at Nationals but it seemed less CoPish with fewer transitions than before on the GP series.

Well, it's also better than her Olympics and US Nationals 2010 PCS

willdu

On the Ice
Well, it's also better than her Olympics and US Nationals 2010 PCS

Oh wow. Okay. I want to see this program ASAP. Better than 2010 Mirai PCS? Any videos of Broadmoor up yet? Also want to see this new hyper flexible spin she's put in. Is it the same one she instagramed?

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
:clap: First Competition of the season comparison

14/15
Broadmoor Open 170.48 = 53.19 + 117.29

13/14
Glacier Falls Summer Classic 158.99 = 56.67 + 102.32

12/13
Glacier Falls Summer Classic 156.60 = 56.68 + 99.92

11/12
Glacier Falls Summer Classic 157.99 = 57.83 + 100.16

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
Oh wow. Okay. I want to see this program ASAP. Better than 2010 Mirai PCS? Any videos of Broadmoor up yet? Also want to see this new hyper flexible spin she's put in. Is it the same one she instagramed?

IDK but i hope there are new spins, too.
No video yet.

IcyEdges

Match Penalty

Watch video of her "Demons" program from SOI. She does it in there where she goes into a Pearl Spin during a combo spin.