Mirai Nagasu's future prospects | Page 52 | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu's future prospects

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Thank you papagena. But as always, there are a myriad of excuses for why Mirai is (1) underscored; (2) okay to skate without expression; (3) victimized by the judging system; and (4) just basically tragic. I'm still waiting for her to prove to all of you that she still has "it!" I KNOW there's a beautiful skater in her.......but will it ever come out again?

Agreed. Nagasu gets cut ALOT of slack by her fans. If it was any other skater, people would've written her off already.

yuki

Final Flight
Thank you papagena. But as always, there are a myriad of excuses for why Mirai is (1) underscored; (2) okay to skate without expression; (3) victimized by the judging system; and (4) just basically tragic. I'm still waiting for her to prove to all of you that she still has "it!" I KNOW there's a beautiful skater in her.......but will it ever come out again?

She does. For some reason, it doesn't really come out when she's competing, but it's still there.

slider11

Medalist
Good point, Papagena. Although Mirai says she doesn't want others to tag her on negative messages, I hope someone points that out. A more positive, hopeful demeanor leading to the sadness and despair needs to be expressed. Forget the monotone look ending with a perky smile. If you're interpreting music with a story line then you should capture that message.

Skatingcat

Final Flight
Maybe Mirai should make demons her short or long program- she seems to resonate with that music and that video posted by Yuki is lovely. Toss in the jumps she needs and keep the spins.

I feel like her reputation for under rotating her jumps now makes the judges judge her more harshly than they would another skater. But who knows. It seems like the skating world politics are against her.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I feel like her reputation for under rotating her jumps now makes the judges judge her more harshly than they would another skater. But who knows. It seems like the skating world politics are against her.

The only thing that's against her is her seeming inability to rotate jumps. The tech panel are calling what they're seeing, and most of those URs at CoR were very obvious to the naked eye in real time.

It grows very tiresome to hear the Mirai fans constantly blaming the UR calls on the evil mean judges and not on Mirai herself.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
In the past people were saying that many of her urs were questionable and shouldn't have been downgraded yet now a lot more seem to say their so obvious to the naked eye and can't be missed.

Are the jumps actually getting worse or are people here simply getting tired of saying the judges were wrong :scratch:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I've always thought most of her URs were easily visible.

And I'm still of the opinion that if the tech panel at Nationals hadn't been so lenient, then there would never have been all that fuss.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Agreed. Nagasu gets cut ALOT of slack by her fans. If it was any other skater, people would've written her off already.

In fairness, it seems we all give, I am guilty too, a lot of slack to those who we are fans are. Granted there are certainly some more vocal fans or "louder" ie Mao, Hanyu, Carolina, Yuna and Davis and White are probably more vocal than other fans (compare it to soap operas there is an actress by the name of Deidre Hall and her fans are very vocal and she pales compared to arguable the ultimate soap queen Susan Lucci but there is no question Hall's fan are the noisiest - Lucci has moved on but nonetheless despite having the far higher Q rating (she actually stood on her own as the star in night time movies that were always in the top twenty and usually top ten) Hall's fan were so loud and always gave slack to Hall. It is just natural if you like something or someone that you will rationalize favourable things for them. Her future is her future- who knows what will happen. She is talented but whether she can get it done when it counts who knows. Emanuel Sandhu, Josee Chouinard and Alissa Czisny are three very talented skates who never won world or Olympic medals but had the talent to do so.Mirai could be like them or maybe she will win even a world bronze or have her moment like Liz Manley, Paul Wylie, Nicole Bobek, Holly Cook, Elena Sokolova, Alena Leonova. Artur Gatchinski, the Shibutani's - a moment when the sun, moon and stars align.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Mirai could be like them or maybe she will win even a world bronze or have her moment like Liz Manley, Paul Wylie, Nicole Bobek, Holly Cook, Elena Sokolova, Alena Leonova. Artur Gatchinski, the Shibutani's - a moment when the sun, moon and stars align.

For her sake, I hope she does. She has put her life on hold for 5 years with little to show for it. I don't think she will ever medal at Worlds but I would love to be wrong.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
For her sake, I hope she does. She has put her life on hold for 5 years with little to show for it. I don't think she will ever medal at Worlds but I would love to be wrong.

I hope that even if she doesn't win a medal and don't forget there are in the US alone at least 7 or 8 ladies who want the same thing - there are only so many medals. At the end of the day Mirai like Fumie et al need to skate for themselves. To improve themselves personally, physically or for whatever reason. Let us hope that it was not solely for a medal - other wise life could be very disappointing and sad. Really she controls her future - in how she accepts and deals with no medal or medal. I think she needs to figure out the jumps and pc thing for herself ie - her gaze to the audience - maybe acting school or something will help. The judges will reward her if she skates well as we have seen.

noskates

Record Breaker
I've always thought most of her URs were easily visible.

And I'm still of the opinion that if the tech panel at Nationals hadn't been so lenient, then there would never have been all that fuss.

Well that pretty much sums it up for me, too. While I really felt for Mirai at Nats this year, I thought the decision to send Ashley (given body of work) was appropriate. However, the outpouring of support for Mirai and the ever wishful thinking for her skating to miraculously return to the 2010 level seems to me more because of Nationals than anything that Mirai has done to earn it. As always, I hope I'm wrong. But I haven't seen anything to the contrary yet. In the NBC broadcast several of her landings were shown in slow motion after showing them in regular speed. On regular speed it was obvious. In slow motion it was as if she did a complete 3 turn after her skate touched the ice. I don't know if you can "teach an old dog new tricks" (and I don't mean that in a derogatory manner but just a saying) but you would think that her coach would just be working the heck out of her to break the habit.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The only thing that's against her is her seeming inability to rotate jumps. The tech panel are calling what they're seeing, and most of those URs at CoR were very obvious to the naked eye in real time.

It grows very tiresome to hear the Mirai fans constantly blaming the UR calls on the evil mean judges and not on Mirai herself.

I'm not complaining about the URs (though I think IJS penalizes them more than other, equally egregious errors). But PCS is another story.

Icey

Record Breaker
Hmmm. Do you mean in the ladies FS? If so, her scores for interpretation ranged from 5.75 to 7.5. After the low & high were thrown out, her average mark for interpretation was 6.96, which seems pretty low to me. So I think her lack of expression is not helping her. I'm truly not sure if her deadpan face reflects a mistaken understanding of the character or if she just has a lot of demons when she competes. I do know that she is capable of great expression and beautiful movement, so I hope for her sake she overcomes her demons and her technical issues.

Yes, the FS. Hongo's score for IN was the highest, 7.50. Miria's 6.96 is only .54 lower than that. Maybe that score objectively is considered low, but in this competition, which included Anna, comparatively it is not a bad score.

Icey

Record Breaker
Cioio San is not depressed she commits suicide because of honour.

I think one could be depressed and still commit suicide for honor. I can't imagine she was not at least very sad for a number of reasons, but especially that she was leaving her son.

Icey

Record Breaker

Isn't that the case with the vast majority of skaters? Most will not even or ever do what she did last year-----win a bronze a nationals.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Mirai needs to tone up, and shape up a little. Maybe it will help with the rotation.
She also needs better program, and skate a bit more freely.
With her recent improvement on 3x3 and bringing back 3Sal, I think she's serious enough about it. Maybe she will crack 125 at some point this season.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
In the past people were saying that many of her urs were questionable and shouldn't have been downgraded yet now a lot more seem to say their so obvious to the naked eye and can't be missed.

Are the jumps actually getting worse or are people here simply getting tired of saying the judges were wrong :scratch:

I can't speak for others but as for me, I went back paid attention the jumps the judges called URed. A lot of them do look like they'd be around enough but after "studying" her landings (so to speak) I now have a much better idea of what Mirai's jumps look like when they're URed. I tweeted after her performance in the FS that I saw the URs during the skate, and that was before I got a chance to check the protocols.

It's really unfortunate b/c that was a competition she could have won if her jumps were clean. I don't know what she can do to fix it but I imagine it's really disheartening to feel as though you're skating better only to find that you aren't...

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I think one could be depressed and still commit suicide for honor. I can't imagine she was not at least very sad for a number of reasons, but especially that she was leaving her son.

I understand what you are saying, but there is actually a difference between sadness and depression, and especially the way those two "moods" (for lack of a better word ) read on stage (and after all when you perform a free skate, you are really "on stage"). Depression might start from sadness, but it can project to the outside world as apathy (eg Mirai 's face with no expression). That's usually not a good choice for an actor (or singer or skater) because it leaves the audience on the outside.

Someone who is very sad but not depressed could easily be very expressive - in addition to crying, there is a whole range of facial expression and body movement that can convey sadness and at the same time draw the audience in to the experience. By keeping her face really expressionless, Mirai really conveys apathy, and many people watching her feel a bit cheated.

This expressionless face could work at one moment - when Butterfly pulls her father's sword out and says "con honor muore chi non puo serbar vita con honore" (she who can no longer live with honor will die with honor). But as soon as her son interrupts her, she (and her music) become extremely passionate. So that expressionless face won't work anymore.

I don't mean that Mirai or any skater could possibly convey all of this in 4 minutes. All I know is that 4 minutes of an expressionless face doesn't work, at least for me.

I will now get off my operatic soap box. :slink:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Maybe Mirai should make demons her short or long program- she seems to resonate with that music and that video posted by Yuki is lovely. Toss in the jumps she needs and keep the spins.

I wish she could use Demons. She gave a fantastic performance of it at SOI