Mirai Nagasu's future prospects | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu's future prospects

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
I still also don't understand who anyone thinks might know better. While I hope Mirai has gotten some input from others she trusts, I certainly don't think any of us are actually in any position to know better than her what she should do, and if anyone is suggesting that we do, I think that is just... grossly unrealistic.

Now THIS i most certainly DO agree with, but that is a different thing than claiming Mirai doesn't know best for Mirai. Even if Mirai's choices don't or haven't recently translated into good comeptitive results

-there is no guarantee something else would have been better, or indeed that it would not have been much worse
-there is no way for anyone but Mirai to accurately account for the things that Mirai finds important that are not just results, or for anyone but Mirai to know how important these other things and results are to her weighted against one another

I'm sure Mirai knows what's best for her, but I don't think that Tom Z is really a good fit for what she needs. I also didn't think Landon Donovan should have been left off of the US soccer team, but I'm sure the head coach had his reasons.

Perhaps I'll be eating my words. i already am after today's world cup game!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I still can't believe anyone thinks going to Tom Z is a good idea. Does Mirai want to get injured?

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
I still can't believe anyone thinks going to Tom Z is a good idea. Does Mirai want to get injured?

Well, I think Mirai has a bit of a reputation problem. The rumors I heard after her split with Frank Carroll (and again, I don't know her personally so they could be totally not true) painted her as not a very hard worker and someone that wouldn't listen to her coach. If I, a random (former) skater from Chicago (although I trained at Jason's rink! I'm cool!) heard them, then I'm sure others have heard them too. And sadly, rumors can really damage someone's reputation in the long run regardless of how true they are. If I had to guess, I'd guess that this probably limited her selection of coaches.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I hope Mirai's reputation isn't true and she does well with Tom Z or whatever coach she ends up with. I believe Miki Ando also had a reputation for being difficult to manage/work with, at least among coaches in Japan, and although they all acknowledged that she was supremely talented, she couldn't find a coach when she split with Morozov.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
I hope Mirai's reputation isn't true and she does well with Tom Z or whatever coach she ends up with. I believe Miki Ando also had a reputation for being difficult to manage/work with, at least among coaches in Japan, and although they all acknowledged that she was supremely talented, she couldn't find a coach when she split with Morozov.

Why it bothers people if a skater take times for choosing the right coach ? I find that it is more a mature side that Miki and Mirai have to take the time to test and considerations to be sure to choose the right coach before engaging in a relationship with them. It's easy to say pick this coach immediately! This is what you need!

But, in reality, each coach have their quality and not every coach are made for everyone. I credit Mirai for taking the time to analyze what she wants and what she needs before committing. This is the right thing to do.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice

It can be rough. The skating community is so small that a bad reputation can really stick with you.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
More hinting (IMHO) from Tom Z: Nagasu is front and center in another new video posted today on his FB page. She is on the ice to give a brief intro to a demo by Chase Belmontes. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=588736977891694 (16 seconds) (Jun 18)

If you look under the comment section a poster commented to Tom Z that he should coach her, he replied to that post saying "I am". I am taking that as confirmation. Tom Z is her coach.

tulosai

Record Breaker
If you look under the comment section a poster commented to Tom Z that he should coach her, he replied to that post saying "I am". I am taking that as confirmation. Tom Z is her coach.

Yup, that would be confirmation.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well at least Mirai has a top level coach for the first time since leaving Frank.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Well at least Mirai has a top level coach for the first time since leaving Frank.

That is true.

Also, despite/regardless of any reservations anyone has about him, I think it is a VERY GOOD thing that he is already talking her up. She needs someone with some political clout talking her up, and she needs it badly. Honestly, if she had had that, this past season might have ended differently for her. (She needs other things too, don't get me wrong, but this is a big one)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I'm excited to see how this partnership works out. Despite the criticisms, Tom Z's students have definitely overachieved. Rachel Flatt's results far exceeded what a typical skater with her talent would have, and to a lesser extent Agnes and Max.

centerpt1

On the Ice
Rachel and Max have always had a good mental game. Tom Z will help her if she needs a stable training situation, and a team that emphasizes jumps. They have never been a team that puts a good mental game on someone who needs help in that area.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Thanks to MKW for your attentive eyes :bow: and the confirmation re Tom Z.

I hope that Mirai will thrive in Colorado Springs. I think it's great that Max Aaron and she will be able to push each other as training mates. His national championship is more recent, but her trip to the Olympics was very successful -- so each can offer inspiration to the other.

(BTW, dardar noted on FSU that Max has been added to the Sun Valley show that Mirai already was headlining. Go, Team Z! :yay:)

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm excited to see how this partnership works out. Despite the criticisms, Tom Z's students have definitely overachieved. Rachel Flatt's results far exceeded what a typical skater with her talent would have, and to a lesser extent Agnes and Max.

Agnes never overachieved under Tom Z. If anything she underachieved with her talent.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Agnes never overachieved under Tom Z. If anything she underachieved with her talent.

I guess it depends how talented you think she is. Other than big jumps I never found anything particularly special about her skating. Two bronzes at Nationals and a GP medal are great results, and I think a lot of coaches couldn't have led Agnes to those results.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Thanks to MKW for your attentive eyes :bow: and the confirmation re Tom Z. I hope that Mirai will thrive in Colorado Springs. I think it's great that Max Aaron and she will be able to push each other as training mates. His national championship is more recent, but her trip to the Olympics was very successful -- so each can offer inspiration to the other. (BTW, dardar noted on FSU that Max has been added to the Sun Valley show that Mirai already was headlining. Go, Team Z! :yay:)

Thanks! I have been interested to see what she was going to decide coach wise. I am keeping an open mind. I am hoping he can get her back on track technically.