Mirai Nagasu's future prospects | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu's future prospects

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I guess it depends how talented you think she is. Other than big jumps I never found anything particularly special about her skating. Two bronzes at Nationals and a GP medal are great results, and I think a lot of coaches couldn't have led Agnes to those results.

Actually Agnes won those medals under Christy Krall.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Actually Agnes won those medals under Christy Krall.

But it was Tom Z who was there for Agnes meteoric rise in the 2009-2010 season when she won Nationals at the Jr. Level and got silver at the Jr. World Championships -- after not qualifying for Nationals at all the previous season. He was also her coach the following season, when she won Pewter (not bad for a senior debut at Nationals) and won another Jr. Worlds medal.

So he has given her results.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Good luck to Mirai in the new season! :) Sincerely hope this new training environment will work for her finally. :yes: Gooo Mirai! :rock:, and shut up all those naysayers' mouth, will you please? :p

noskates

Record Breaker
Have to agree with DrivingMissDaisy. I never thought Agnes was more than an average skater who had a little bit of luck a few times. Talented? Not so much. Hard worker? YES. But the past couple of years have been painful to watch her skate.

Good luck to Mirai. I know nothing about Tom Z. except the vitriol that's been expressed in this thread but I have to think that having a coach this early in the season is a good thing for Mirai. I look forward to seeing her skate this year.

Alba

Record Breaker
Why are some people saying that Carroll left Nagasu because she had work ethics?

I was reading on FSU the following poster: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...-Mirai-Nagasu-Interview&p=4281855#post4281855

Per Phil Hersh on Twitter (April 3, 2012):

Frank Carroll just told me he is no longer working with Mirai Nagasu. Reasons logistical - too far for her to rink where Carroll teaches

Carroll on Nagasu: "The 2-hour drive each way was too much. She was exhausted by the time she got here."

icellist

On the Ice
You are correct. During Mirai's disastrous season, Frank Carroll moved to Palm Springs. What really ticked me was that a year after, Frank moved back to El Segundo for Olympic training Denis Ten/Evan Lysacek... The only work ethic issue for Mirai was 2011 nationals, but she worked hard after for 4CC and took her alternate role very seriously. Mirai shouldn't be getting so much flak or bad work ethic rumors. If anything, being competitive without a politik coach the past two season shows great work ethic for me. She took charge of her own training

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Icey

Record Breaker
Mirai began climbing from the ashes at this years nationals. Won't be surprised if she gets to the top this season. She seems renewed. Go, Mirai!!!!!!

Alba

Record Breaker
Mirai shouldn't be getting so much flak or bad work ethic rumors. If anything, being competitive without a politik coach the past two season shows great work ethic for me. She took charge of her own training

:thumbsup:
I hate when people start spreading false rumors about skaters and their work ethic.

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
Let's Go, Mirai. I'm still alive in skating for you after Yuna retired. :,(

This is my 777th post. It's a sign!!!!

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
I hate when people start spreading false rumors about skaters and their work ethic.

I don't think people are spreading, merely repeating what they heard. That was definitely the rumor and as people who weren't there we can't be 100% sure if it was true or not.

Harness

Rinkside
I don't think people are spreading, merely repeating what they heard. That was definitely the rumor and as people who weren't there we can't be 100% sure if it was true or not.

Repeating a rumor that you heard is, indeed, spreading a rumor. And if the statements are false, there are legal ramifications:

"Defamation is publically making a false factual statement that puts someone in a negative light. It does not matter that the statement has been made before by other people and is merely being repeated; nor does it matter that the information is received from a seemingly credible source. If the statement was a statement of fact--such as regarding a person's whereabouts or his finances--and is negative, then if it is not true, it is defamation. (Libel is written defamation; slander verbal or oral.) If the statement can be proven to be true, that would be a defense to a claim of defamation, but the burden would be on the person who made the statement, if sued, to prove the truth. So a factual situation like the one you describe could result in a claim or lawsuit for defamation." (From "Ask a Lawyer")

I enjoy reading this board, and comment infrequently. Each of these ISU skaters has worked very hard to reach their present level, and I appreciate their efforts. I have read some harsh criticism of several skaters that has nothing to do with their public performances. Surely we can avoid disparaging the character of people we have never met and who have done nothing to hurt us.

Carry on.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
Repeating a rumor that you heard is, indeed, spreading a rumor. And if the statements are false, there are legal ramifications:

"Defamation is publically making a false factual statement that puts someone in a negative light. It does not matter that the statement has been made before by other people and is merely being repeated; nor does it matter that the information is received from a seemingly credible source. If the statement was a statement of fact--such as regarding a person's whereabouts or his finances--and is negative, then if it is not true, it is defamation. (Libel is written defamation; slander verbal or oral.) If the statement can be proven to be true, that would be a defense to a claim of defamation, but the burden would be on the person who made the statement, if sued, to prove the truth. So a factual situation like the one you describe could result in a claim or lawsuit for defamation." (From "Ask a Lawyer")

I enjoy reading this board, and comment infrequently. Each of these ISU skaters has worked very hard to reach their present level, and I appreciate their efforts. I have read some harsh criticism of several skaters that has nothing to do with their public performances. Surely we can avoid disparaging the character of people we have never met and who have done nothing to hurt us.

Carry on.

Defamation usually has to be published and has to be stated as fact. Saying "I heard" disqualifies you generally from defamation.

I'm a law student and not going to get in a legal argument. I have school for that. Just wanted to point that out. No one here is at risk for defamation.

composer

On the Ice
Repeating a rumor that you heard is, indeed, spreading a rumor.

Each of these ISU skaters has worked very hard to reach their present level, and I appreciate their efforts. I have read some harsh criticism of several skaters that has nothing to do with their public performances. Surely we can avoid disparaging the character of people we have never met and who have done nothing to hurt us.

[\QUOTE]

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
IMO, it's more her uneven results and lack of stamina that have given rise to speculation about her training habits. Her results (excepting Nationals 2014) have gone downhill since she left Frank.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At Nationals Mirai didn't look in tip top shape compared to Gracie or Ashley for instance. She's simply not toned which is a sign of not being in the best shape possible. It has nothing to do with weight.

Icey

Record Breaker
At Nationals Mirai didn't look in tip top shape compared to Gracie or Ashley for instance. She's simply not toned which is a sign of not being in the best shape possible. It has nothing to do with weight.

Well if ashley was more in shape than Mirai, it doesn't seem to have helped her.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Defamation usually has to be published and has to be stated as fact. Saying "I heard" disqualifies you generally from defamation.

I'm a law student and not going to get in a legal argument. I have school for that. Just wanted to point that out. No one here is at risk for defamation.

Also, Mirai is likely a public figure, which means there would have to be a showing of knowledge of falsity or reckless disregard for the truth.

mskater93

Record Breaker
The speculation comes from some off the cuff comments she made in the past (~2011-12) about the days she didn't train in PS with FrankC and how (her process) she was training on her own along with off-the-record comments overheard from previous coaches about stubborness and work ethic.