Julia Antipova seriously ill | Golden Skate

Julia Antipova seriously ill

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
I was a little hesitant to post this thread, but I feel many will wish Julia well as I do.

She has been hospitalized suffering the effects of anorexia. Apparently, she is in quite bad condition, even critical condition from the sound of it. We heard some weeks ago that she was ill but no specifics. (Link to original news piece: http://www.allsportinfo.ru/index.php?id=85175)

The news first broke on a Russian forum as I understand it, but here are several news articles (in Russian) about her situation.

http://www.rsport.ru/figure_skating/20140914/772412076.html
http://www.rsport.ru/figure_skating/20140914/772429020.html
http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20140914/772430671.html

She is definitely in my prayers. Hoping for her recovery and that perhaps the severity of her condition has been exaggerated...

noskates

Record Breaker
That's really sad. Anorexia is such a tough thing to beat. But in the sport of figure skating, unfortunately the emphasis on skinny, lithe bodies just enables this to happen all too often. I do hope she recovers.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Oh no, not her fan but I really hope she does recover, I am currently struggling with an eating disorder myself so I know how hard it is but I hope that she will surround herself with good people and that they will support her and she will come back stronger. I think of Akiko Suzuki, she beat her eating disorder and came back better than ever. Wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've seen this first hand far too many times. I could barely find the strength to finish reading this story and many painful memories are impossible to forget. My only hope is that I can one day soon put the final chapter of this story in my Global Language of Inspiration thread. May she find help and hope.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
It doesn't sound right saying this, but thank you to breathesgelatin for sharing this story.

Hopefully reading this story will serve as a wake-up call to those members who are constantly saying that certain skaters are overweight.

Julia always was a tiny wee thing, so if she felt she needed to lose weight, it is extremely worrying indeed. I dread to think what shape she is in now.

But, the important thing is that Julia is now getting the medical help she needs. It will be a long journey ahead of her, but it is a battle that can be won if she is determined enough.

There is a girl I know who is a few years younger than me. And it was only recently that I discovered that she developed anorexia when she was a teenager. Like a lot of people with eating disorders, she was very good at hiding it. But, she finally admitted it, and got the help she needed. And she is now running a support group for people who have eating disorders. She still has her struggles at times, but now has the support network to help overcome them.

Julia is in a very dark place, and will be for some time to come. But, although she may not see it at the moment, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

So, Julia, all the best for your battle ahead. We are all behind you.

CaroLiza_fan

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
Oh, poor girl... that's so sad.
Eating disorders are so tough to overcome, I hope she will be given all the attention and medical care she needs.

All my thoughts to Julia, hoping that she will bravely face her enemy and get well.

GF2445

Record Breaker
This is terrible news. The issue which surround body image is a heartbreaking yet very real. I hope she will get well and back to full health soon.

LRK

Record Breaker
Oh poor Julia... wishing her the best, and the strength to fight against it and come through on the other side. It's heartbreaking indeed!

sillylionlove

Medalist
Very sad. I hope she gets better soon. I heard they want to transfer her to a medical facility in Israel but the family does not have money to send her there.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
This is a very sad case. I hope Julia recovers her full health soon! Anorexia is very difficult to overcome. I wish her strength to get better, and love to help her stay well.

But there is no magic bullet to cure anorexia, neither here in the USA, nor in Russia, nor in Israel. It is very hard.

Also, be aware that we do not allow solicitation of donations on Golden Skate since we have no way to assure that those donations actually go to the people they are intended to help.

There are very wicked people in this world who prey on the natural sympathies everyone has for sick children, veterans, and the victims of disasters among the charities which do good work for those groups. We at GS are not equipped to definitively know which are the good and which the bad, so we don't allow solicitations.

We saw many fraudulent charities who collected for 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina victims, for example.

Here's a case from the UK
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-luxury-holidays-gambling-Spanish-villa.html

Many of these frauds occur online
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/beware-online-charity-scams-rise-f2D11674410

Sometimes family are involved
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rother-jailed-knocking-policewomans-door.html

It is hard to know.

Last edited:

desertskates

Medalist
Aww, poor girl. Such a hideous illness to be afflicted with. I really hope the hospital is providing the best care available for her body and mind, and that friends and family are supportive in her recovery. All my best to her.

supsu

On the Ice
Really sad to hear.

I assume they weren't skating in Russian test skates or open skates?
I hope she finds a way to get healthy again.

Has there been skaters that have been hospitalized for this before? I mean Akiko was ill and Mary-Kate come to mind, but were they hospitalized?

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Really sad to hear.

I assume they weren't skating in Russian test skates or open skates?
I hope she finds a way to get healthy again.

Has there been skaters that have been hospitalized for this before? I mean Akiko was ill and Mary-Kate come to mind, but were they hospitalized?

In the english article (bad traslation, really confussing) it seem that they started to notice the weight loss before a trainning camp in Sochi. Her coach told her to gain some weight before the start. In the camp, before starting she was checked by doctor, who told the trainning team she couldn´t traing. At this point it seem that people involve (Federation? is not clear in the article) suggested calling the doctors, but the parents said that they will take care of her and took her and send her in a vacation with her sister. After that it seem that it took a turn for the worst.

The article suggest that if necessary she will be send either to Germany or Israel to get assistance. It seem that the Federation has receive a assistance solicitude from her family.

Edit. Looks like the they started notice her bad condition back in July

starlight97

Final Flight
I know I am/we are not in a position to judge this situation.
But I can't get my head around this....
I'm a gymnast and when a girl under my coach shows any kind of rapid weight loss(meaning more than 2kg) it's like this:
If the coach notices it has gone down about 1,5kg they talk to the girl and if it continues and the coaches feel that it might be anorexia they contact the parents immediately. Better one time to much than to less. She's not allowed to come back to training until she's got her weight back.
One will notice then if it was something else or if it's an eating disorder because if it's the latter the girl will refuse/ will not put on the weight.

This may sound harsh, but it all happens in a friendly and warm way and it has always worked until now. Anorexia sadly is very common in these sports.

It's very unbelievable for me to hear that it could come THAT far, that she's gone so far and is in such a bad state that she has to be hospitalized. Coaches should be more.... "aware" when a skater loses weight like this.

This is not a judgment just my point of view.

MalAssada

Medalist
I know I am/we are not in a position to judge this situation.
But I can't get my head around this....
I'm a gymnast and when a girl under my coach shows any kind of rapid weight loss(meaning more than 2kg) it's like this:
If the coach notices it has gone down about 1,5kg they talk to the girl and if it continues and the coaches feel that it might be anorexia they contact the parents immediately. Better one time to much than to less. She's not allowed to come back to training until she's got her weight back.
One will notice then if it was something else or if it's an eating disorder because if it's the latter the girl will refuse/ will not put on the weight.

This may sound harsh, but it all happens in a friendly and warm way and it has always worked until now. Anorexia sadly is very common in these sports.

It's very unbelievable for me to hear that it could come THAT far, that she's gone so far and is in such a bad state that she has to be hospitalized. Coaches should be more.... "aware" when a skater loses weight like this.

This is not a judgment just my point of view.

Not at all, better safe than sorry! I'm glad that your coach cares about the health of the students instead of only caring about gold medals.

And about Yulia: I seriously cannot imagine how thin she must be right now. I saw her Worlds program and she was such a tiny thing, borderline on what I (personally) consider beautiful.