Are people begining to appreciate Michelle's jump consistency now that it's dropping? | Golden Skate

Are people begining to appreciate Michelle's jump consistency now that it's dropping?

apache88

On the Ice
Are people begining to appreciate Michelle's jump consistency now that it's dropping?

After 9 years since 1995, finally Michelle's jump consistency has begun to dip. In the last 9 years, she has done 30 6-triple programs and 11 7-triple programs. That is truly amazing. So consistent in her triples that she was very often taken for granted. Every time she landed 6 triples without a 3/3, she was criricized for playing it safe. Now 2004 is the year that she has started to struggle to do a 6-triple program. Somehow I feel this is when people are starting to realize that to do a 6-triple program is difficult in itself, 3/3-less notwithstanding. The problem is Michelle has spoilt the skating community with her incredible consistency all these years. Well, I was guilty of taking her for granted when she was landing 6 triples. I knew it was not an easy task yet I would wish she had done more.

For her jump statistics:
http://www.heatherw.com/mk/jump/bytriples.htm

As for the "sudden" drop in her jump coinsistency, could it be due to her learning of new technique from Rafael? Overall, it has been good for her as I have noticed the quality of most of her jumps is better, in terms of height especially. Strangely, of all her jumps, she would have problems with her money jump, the lutz. She has been either doubling or falling on her 3lz in all those competitions she has entered this season (save for the Nationals) and in her COI performances. I'm not so worried actually, I strongly feel she will have those problems ironed out by next season, if she is competing.

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
Re: Are people begining to appreciate Michelle's jump consistency now that it's dropping?

apache88 said:

Strangely, of all her jumps, she would have problems with her money jump, the lutz. She has been either doubling or falling on her 3lz in all those competitions she has entered this season (save for the Nationals) and in her COI performances. I'm not so worried actually, I strongly feel she will have those problems ironed out by next season, if she is competing.

That was because of her lutz entry (the entering curve) has been changed since Nats LP. I heard there was no problem whatsever leading up to the worlds in practice (included that loop jump were very consistant). Guess losing muscel memory for relatively new skill under pressure?

Not only we were spoiled, it raised the bar for elite skaters skates clean in competetion. I said before in another board now I say again, ppl always complainning Sasha's consistancy. But if you compare her to other top ladies earlier 90s before Michelle or after mid 90s, Sasha's consistancy is not that bad at all. To think about Biaul win OGM only with 4 clean triples.

Last edited by a moderator:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Geez guys, did Goldenskate suddenly become MKF and I missed the announcement? 4 separate MK threads at the top of the board?

Kwanisqueen81

Rinkside
Re: Re: Are people begining to appreciate Michelle's jump consistency now that it's dropping?

mzheng said:
That was because of her lutz entry (the entering curve) has been changed since Nats LP. I heard there was no problem whatsever leading up to the worlds in practice (included that loop jump were very consistant). Guess losing muscel memory for relatively new skill under pressure?

Not only we were spoiled, it raised the bar for elite skaters skates clean in competetion. I said before in another board now I say again, ppl always complainning Sasha's consistancy. But if you compare her to other top ladies earlier 90s before Michelle or after mid 90s, Sasha's consistancy is not that bad at all. To think about Biaul win OGM only with 4 clean triples.

Oh great thread!!

I agree with Apache88 and mzhang(as usual!!)

First to Apache88's point:
I believe that when you see greatness over, and over again you become used to it. Look at the way some people complain about Salome and how it wasn't a "convincing" performance. I don't know what they are talking about. Salome will be remember as one of the best programs of ladies skating. I just think that when Michelle is go good all the time, in terms of her jump consistancy, once she drops people question if she is looseing her skills(i.e they hold Michelle to a higher standard)
Also doing triple jumps is HARD let along doing 6 or 7 w/3-3. It is only due to proper off-ice training, limited 3-3s, proper technique, and a sensible competitive schedule that Michelle has stayed so injury free over her reign.

to Mzheng's point:
You are soo right. Looking back at consistant ladies pre-michelle. Sasha stacks up very well with them. Had sasha skated her worlds long program at 1992 oly she would have medaled easy!!!! doing a 6 triple program is hard.

I remember the early 90s as two catergories for the top ladies:
1. attempt 5 triples w/lutz
2. Midori Ito('nuff said)