2014 Croatia Cup JGP Ladies Free Skate | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2014 Croatia Cup JGP Ladies Free Skate

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I honestly have no idea. Probably just a coincidence.
Deniss Vasiljevs has been a Latvian rockstar since he was a little kid (like the only REAL hope) and since he trains in France he's got only better and better (though he really needs technical help if he wants to be on the podium).

I have no clue what happened to Angelina Kuchvalska in summer. Last season she had just 3S, 3T and a bad 3Lo on whom she always fell. How did she get 3T+3T, 2A+3T, 3Lz, 3F and a nice 3Lo in one summer - no idea. But kudos to her for doing that! :clap:
And Diana Nikitina was another Latvian hope too (but actually, just in my eyes - Deniss got all the real fame) - her jumps had always been great - she had all the triples and 3-3 even last year, when she was just a novice skater. I really crossed fingers for her junior debut, and wow - a 5th place! That is SO amazing by a skater from Latvia. I may not be right, but she might be the youngest ever Latvian to get a 3Lz (never mind the 3-3). Also she trains under Andrei Brovenko, who also coaches Alina Fjodorova, who also had great jumps until the puberty monster hit her very harshly.

They all have different coaches, training locations and have nothing in common, but man - that's the best content we have had in centuries! :yay:

In any case, it's nice to see another country in the mix! :) And I like all three of them!

Is karen competing as a senior nationally this year?

Yes, Karen has moved up to the senior level this year. Sort of sad she didn't get her junior title. But look at the numbers, I think she can hold her own in seniors and maybe the experience will be beneficial.

Last edited:

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
Watched the medal ceremony, Maria is the highest of the trio. Do you think she has completed her growth? I'm afraid growing more will cause problems in her elements. On the other side, if she's already completed growth, it's an advantage over the other juniors who hasn't.

humbaba

Final Flight
I don't know if I agree that she didn't "take it." I don't think she was tenantive or anything like that. She went for everything; it just didn't go her way today. You could see it when she finished that she wasn't happy about the mistakes.

And I like her Godfather program.

I actually feel optimistic about Karen, despite her less than perfect long programs. I've seen her skate that LP three times this fall, and each performance has gotten stronger. I hope she will continue that upward arc.

Congratulations to Maria for pulling herself together. I love her LP.

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
Is she old enojgh to go to worlds? I knkw that it is slim she would go but im just curious.

Minimum age for senior internationals is 15. Since Karen, Maria, Serafima, Evgenia are 14 they are not allowed to skate at World Championships.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Minimum age for senior internationals is 15. Since Karen, Maria, Serafima, Evgenia are 14 they are not allowed to skate at World Championships.

Just to add to that. Karen did turn 15, but it was after the July 1 cutoff (her birthday is Aug. 16, 1999).

I actually feel optimistic about Karen, despite her less than perfect long programs. I've seen her skate that LP three times this fall, and each performance has gotten stronger. I hope she will continue that upward arc.

Congratulations to Maria for pulling herself together. I love her LP.

I agree. In the club competition in Aug., she fell on both her lutzes. So it's good to see she had both of them here and the 3Z-3T.

Also I realize that 2A she fell on was supposed to be 2A-2T-2L, so she lost a few points there as well. (3.2 points to be precise).

Last edited:

blue_ice

On the Ice
Watched the medal ceremony, Maria is the highest of the trio. Do you think she has completed her growth? I'm afraid growing more will cause problems in her elements. On the other side, if she's already completed growth, it's an advantage over the other juniors who hasn't.

Look at Polina Edmunds, she jumps ok with her height.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker

I can see the height issues less as "tall skaters can't jump well" and more of "height changes (and other puberty related growth) can throw off a skater's spatial sense/muscle memory". It doesn't happen for all skaters, but growing can throw off your timing.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder if Proklova is starting growth issues. To me she seems off center. I know there was injury and loss of training so maybe it's just confidence but she is so tiny. I have to wonder if nature is stirring this girl up a bit. Hopefully she can clean it up for nationals and skate some Russian Cup events.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In any case, it's nice to see another country in the mix! :) And I like all three of them!

Yes, Karen has moved up to the senior level this year. Sort of sad she didn't get her junior title. But look at the numbers, I think she can hold her own in seniors and maybe the experience will be beneficial.

I think Chen should skate as a Junior at Nationals. She would be the overwhelming favorite this year with Amber Glenn skating as a Senior at Nationals.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Congrats to Maria for the win!
Even though I feel sorry for Karen, I am thrilled for Miyu Nakashio who skated flawlessly in both her events, even though IMO she was screwed up in her first event by the judges who placed her in fourth despite two clean skates. Even though I think Karen is more talented, Miyu deserved it more this time to make it and I am thrilled for her.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
although Karen is my favorite junior. but I am glad to discover Maria here. Her jumping technique is clean, natural and pretty, no wrong edges. The most beautiful jumps among Russian babies IMO. She has intricate programs and lovely long limbs and quite delicate artistry, good musicality. just need to improve speed and flow.
Karen perhaps is experiencing a growth spurt. she is all arms and legs (relatively short torso, still a baby), her stroke is bit jerky and feels a bit off-balance. But I just adore this girl. too cute I guess:love: Not that she did not make it to the final, she will have more time to practice at home. Good luck.:)

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Nice event, and the one I was the happiest about was Proklova: she had a rough first event and then a terrible SP here, I was happy to see her finally fighting and landing almost all of her jumps in this FS, and I'm "happy" that she didn't make it to the final, too, because it's clear to everyone that she needs a lot more time to train calmly and get her consistency back: she has everything, she just needs to bring it to competition, and months of training is the only way to do that! The Latvian skater was a lovely discovery, too (even if her program without jumps would be just :no: )! :clap:

hanca

Record Breaker

For one Polina Edminds who at this moment seems unaffected by her height I can name at least five others who were very affected. For example Korobeynikova, Shershak...

LuisRollerArg

On the Ice
Joshi Helgesson is very tall, and her jumps still are here, I think Edmunds jumps are ok, except for her 2axel... Maria Sotskova is growing up, She will be very tall perhaps, but her jumps looks great

silverlake22

Record Breaker

Well she's clearly grown since last season. Her bio says she is 154 cm still but there's no way she is that small anymore. I think she looks great on the ice with her long lines, very elegant. Her jumps look strong, anyways. These days there are a lot of taller ladies that jump well - Kostner, Edmunds, Gold, Gao, Meite, Pogorilaya, so I don't think there's reason to worry about Maria yet. Her build might also help her maintain the jumps if she does grow quite tall, she is very wiry and lean. I like her programs this season, the dress for the FS is so pretty!