2014 Skate Canada Short Dance 10/31 | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2014 Skate Canada Short Dance 10/31

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Paul and Piper's sd is inspired by Torvill and Dean's famous Paso Doble pattern dance. Plus Dean choreographed Paul and Piper' s sd.

http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=MsHt7DRxpxA

Thanks for the info and the link! A nice walk down memory lane. I remember T&D's Paso Doble with her as the cape now that I'm reminded! Somehow I don't think the cape costume worked as well for G&P. Maybe they will be able to modify it to be more effective / less distracting. I really like G&P originality.

sisinka

Medalist
First of all: Its definitley not a thing for the Technical Panel. They dont have to take any action on that. The placement of the Key Points must be evaluated by the judges (s. Handbook for Judges and Referees, Page 36, point 7).

Positions in Paso Doble: Of course, the positions are fixed in the Pattern Dance Element "Paso Doble". But not for the Partial Step S., thats the difference. The steps are fixed, but not the holds (s. Handbook, Page 6).

And there are even Killian holds included in Ice Dance Waltz Pattern Dances, e.g. Westminster Waltz, Starlight Waltz, Golden Waltz etc.

About one point, there could be disussions, you are right: Because if they change sides because of a different hold, they are not able to do the KP on the same placement like the PDE. But maybe thats the reason why they used the word "approximately" in the discription.

I had an idea that because requirements for Partial Step Sequences are described in Handbook for Technical panel, it is Technical panel thing to notice that. But I was wrong, thanks for clarifying.

“Approximately“ can be explained in both your and my meaning, so another place where ISU rules are not clearly explained.

Yes, Killian holds are in Waltz Pattern except Viennese Waltz. I meant if couple would change Waltz hold into for example Killian hold in parts where Waltz hold would be predestinate. With changement in basic things of every dance (and hold is one of basic thing) – we can soon get into a situation when the rest of compulsory steps in ballroom dances will not be similar to compulsory dances at all. :cry:

wasabi

On the Ice
Thanks for the info and the link! A nice walk down memory lane. I remember T&D's Paso Doble with her as the cape now that I'm reminded! Somehow I don't think the cape costume worked as well for G&P. Maybe they will be able to modify it to be more effective / less distracting. I really like G&P originality.

Perhaps you might like to review T&D routines a little further before you consider G&P originality. And then throw in a review of execution as well.

GGoldberg

Match Penalty
I think that you mix Spanish dance style and entertaining dance style.

Once requirements want Spanish dance, you shouldn’t expect a Moulin Rouge or Cabaret routine (but surprisingly Madison Chock tries to go in that direction). It is a mistake of ISU that they came with Spanish dance expecting that this may be very entertaining for every figure skating fan who wants to see a show (sometimes no matter what music plays).

Why should Chock & Bates beat Weaver & Poje? Spanish dance is executed by Weaver, not by Chock. Weaver brings Spanish feeling on the ice, not flirtatious and coquettish Chock. More Spanish style executes Poje, not Bates.

Why some couples put so much attention into Spanish moves and costumes and mimics, why they take classes with Spanish dancers…..when Spanish program and Spanish dance style is the last thing which is important….and certainly it is when you say that Chock & Bates have better SD than Weaver & Poje.

Chock & Bates can be more entertaining for some skating fans – that is OK and fully understandable, but task was a Spanish dance…and in this task Kaitlyn & Andrew are highly above Madison & Evan. And not only Kaitlyn & Andrew.

Agreed. On top of which the music choice for Chock/Bates is really puzzling. It is neither paso nor flamenco, but classical ballet music which happens to be played at the correct tempo and set to a story/theme that involves Spanish characters. They then go out there and once again say "we're putting our modern twist" on this and that. We're not doing an "angry Paso." Uh, they're not doing a Paso.

Does any of this matter to the judges? Apparently not. Interpretation scores in the mid to high 8s. NOT that one would expect the current slate of judges to have any idea what they are listening to or what the style-choice is meant to be. As long as Chock has people "sitting back and relaxing while she sucks them in" (her quote during the ISU press conference" the judges will reward them with PCS marks that have nothing to do with reality of the individual components.

Sk8AllOut

Spectator
First time posting

I believe the intent of the rules was to bring originality to the SD.

Also as for W/P twizzles, someone mentioned to me that the skaters have up to half a rotation to establish the position at the beginning of the twizzle. So by holding it for 3.5 rotations immediately after the .5 rotation at the beginning would be considered for the level.

sisinka

Medalist
First time posting

I believe the intent of the rules was to bring originality to the SD.

Also as for W/P twizzles, someone mentioned to me that the skaters have up to half a rotation to establish the position at the beginning of the twizzle. So by holding it for 3.5 rotations immediately after the .5 rotation at the beginning would be considered for the level.

Not for Level 4...
...from rules..."A chosen Additional Feature from Groups A and B shall be considered for a Level if it is
fully achieved and established:
- within the first half rotation of the Twizzle, and
- held until the number of rotations needed for that Level is fully completed (2 rotations for Level 2, 3 rotations for Level 3, 4 rotations for Level 4)".