2014 Skate Canada Mens SP 10/31 | Golden Skate

2014 Skate Canada Mens SP 10/31

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Predictions are going to be a mess for the men's competition.
There are so many talented skaters here but all of them tend to bomb badly and are unpredictable.
--I'm a fan of most of these guys so here's to hoping for a great day of skating when the 31st rolls around.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Predictions are going to be a mess for the men's competition.
There are so many talented skaters here but all of them tend to bomb badly and are unpredictable.
--I'm a fan of most of these guys so here's to hoping for a great day of skating when the 31st rolls around.

Don't pick like I do.

USFSA Fantasy Skating:

Men's A pick: Max
Men's B pick: Kostya
Men's C pick: Carrierre

Yes, yes, I'm an idiot. Or just have rock-solid faith in Max that he will have the SOHL, Javier will forget to count again, Kozuka will have an off-day, and Mura will...idk, do a Jeremy.

Also no Chan, so the winner of the men's might actually deserve it this year.

Meoima

Match Penalty
If Javi zayaks again in this competition, I would give up on his ability to count. Does he even has it in the first place I am in doubt, though.

Kozuka didn't just have an off-day in JO. He was struggling with a new blade by that time. Who knows if he has gotten used to it by now, I am not sure.

This event might be a mess, though. With zayak and off-day. :sarcasm:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh, and now I've actually remembered an actually important question:

What city should I use for reference when doing my time zone conversions? Vancouver?

unico

Final Flight
Oh, and now I've actually remembered an actually important question:

What city should I use for reference when doing my time zone conversions? Vancouver?
Yes, both Vancouver and Kelowna are in the Pacific Time Zone (UTC-08:00).

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I think Javier will be just fine even if he does make 1-2 major errors. If Skate America is any indication, most (if not all) of the other men will have issues, too.

If Konstantin skates like he did at the Russian qualifiers last week, he could easily make the podium...but that's a huge "if." I would LOVE for him to be up there.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Had Kevin Reynolds quit/retired? Any reason, other than the boots? Nam Nguyen, why not? Just because he skated in Chicago?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Because he
1. Is a Canadian, replacing another Canadian, and it is the Canadian fed who issues invitations to Skate Canada.
2. Because he medalled at SkAm, and so has a chance at the GPF.

Why wouldn't SC select him to skate at SC???

If you mean whether he might medal or not, he didn't just skate well in Chicago, he had a clean FS. The SP? Not so good, but he seems to have a good head for competition. And he landed both a qu and 3a's.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Had Kevin Reynolds quit/retired? Any reason, other than the boots? Nam Nguyen, why not? Just because he skated in Chicago?

(1) Kevin Reynolds has not quit/retired. He intends to compete at Nationals. The press release re his GP withdrawals cites injury as well as equipment issues.

(2) Not sure what your question/point is re Nam Nguyen, but FYI, he received two GP assignments when the original batch for this season was announced. His second GP is Cup of China.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Thank you both for the answers! I really like Kevin, but at this moment I am not sure of anything. Hopefully he manages to come to the Canadian nationals. As for Nam, I think he is Canada's number 1, right now. I guess only Patrick Chan could easily beat Nam, but Patrick is, at least temporary, out. I find it difficult to say, but apparently he has no real competition in Canada. I hope I am wrong, and Kevin, Eladj come out very strong...that's not impossible. Liam and Andrei are even further away...it's weird as Nam is only 16...

Meoima

Match Penalty
Thank you both for the answers! I really like Kevin, but at this moment I am not sure of anything. Hopefully he manages to come to the Canadian nationals. As for Nam, I think he is Canada's number 1, right now. I guess only Patrick Chan could easily beat Nam, but Patrick is, at least temporary, out. I find it difficult to say, but apparently he has no real competition in Canada. I hope I am wrong, and Kevin, Eladj come out very strong...that's not impossible. Liam and Andrei are even further away...it's weird as Nam is only 16...
It's not weird if Nam delivers clean programs at Nationals. I believe he will. But of course at the moment I still think a clean Kevin (or nearly clean) should be placed higher than Nam.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Imo, Kevin is the only person who can challenge Nam at Nationals. The rest of the Canadian men are, well... just not good enough. In order for Nam to lose nationals, one of the following must happen: 1) Kevin sorts out his problems and skates near-clean 2) Nam bombs spectacularly 3) Patrick shows up.

Onto the GP: This time, for my predictions, I've chosen with my heart rather than my head. Not sure if it'll work out for me, but it's not like my conservative SkAm predictions were all that great either. Still wondering if I should edit out my optimism about Aaron and Kozuka...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Imo, Kevin is the only person who can challenge Nam at Nationals. The rest of the Canadian men are, well... just not good enough. In order for Nam to lose nationals, one of the following must happen: 1) Kevin sorts out his problems and skates near-clean 2) Nam bombs spectacularly 3) Patrick shows up.

Onto the GP: This time, for my predictions, I've chosen with my heart rather than my head. Not sure if it'll work out for me, but it's not like my conservative SkAm predictions were all that great either. Still wondering if I should edit out my optimism about Aaron and Kozuka...

Nope, your optimism about Max is well-placed, I'm sure of it! :yay:

Jackie Wong agrees with us: she's picked Fernandez, Aaron, Kozuka as her podium.

phaeljones

On the Ice
Don't pick like I do.

USFSA Fantasy Skating:

Men's A pick: Max
Men's B pick: Kostya
Men's C pick: Carrierre

Yes, yes, I'm an idiot. Or just have rock-solid faith in Max that he will have the SOHL, Javier will forget to count again, Kozuka will have an off-day, and Mura will...idk, do a Jeremy.

Also no Chan, so the winner of the men's might actually deserve it this year.

Max will win!!!!!!!! Then I differ. Fernandez second (all he has to do is learn to count to two, which should be good enough to edge him into second) and Rippon third.

I wonder as it ever happened before that a host country's skaters in a singles discipline, such as men's, have come in (as a group) last (you know like, say, 10th and 11th). Somewhat of a possibility here. I have to think that a few people at Skate Canada (not at fault, they did everything right in their original choice to invite Reynolds to headline based on his senior status and his having been their top skater at world's last year) would be a bit embarrassed if that happened. I feel badly for Reynolds, however, given his track record now, unless he really comes back and skates lights out at Nationals this year, Skate Canada would be right to abandon having any faith in him in the future. Hurts to write that.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Max will win!!!!!!!! Then I differ. Fernandez second (all he has to do is learn to count to two, which should be good enough to edge him into second) and Rippon third.

Oh, I like this podium, let's do that.

Just to quickly explain: In USFSA Fantasy Skating, they seperate the competitors into "groups", and you have to pick one from each group. So Group A for men at Skate Canada is Max, Kozuka, Javier, and Mura, Group B is Menshov, Rippon etc, and then Group C is Carriere, Firius and Balde (I think).

(The worst moment of the whole last season was logging into Fantasy Skating for US Nationals and discovering Max, Josh and Jason ALL in Group A. I nearly died. Then Josh got demoted to Group B and it got marginally better. Almost.)

Meoima

Match Penalty
Lol this is going to be fun. I love Javi but I highly doubt his ability to count. I also think Max have the highest chance to win, Javi second (oh please I think he can still count from 1 to 2-3).

phaeljones

On the Ice
Oh, I like this podium, let's do that.

Just to quickly explain: In USFSA Fantasy Skating, they seperate the competitors into "groups", and you have to pick one from each group. So Group A for men at Skate Canada is Max, Kozuka, Javier, and Mura, Group B is Menshov, Rippon etc, and then Group C is Carriere, Firius and Balde (I think).

(The worst moment of the whole last season was logging into Fantasy Skating for US Nationals and discovering Max, Josh and Jason ALL in Group A. I nearly died. Then Josh got demoted to Group B and it got marginally better. Almost.)

Thank you. Now I understand the groups. Your choices make good sense.