2014 Skate Canada Mens FS 11/01 | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2014 Skate Canada Mens FS 11/01

ks777

Record Breaker
I thought Carriere was much more enjoyable than Max Aaron. Max reminds me of one of Tom's students who landed a quad Lutz. There isn't much to their skating other than jumps but they never do them clean.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Those who criticised Javier's LP for being too goofy, are you kidding me?

The Barber of Seville IS suppose to be comedic Operas (you can even hear it in the music), along with the likes of The marriage of Figaros are the pantomime operas. Javier has the charisma to bring it to life, but he was simply off his game last night. He look tired and off timing and slow, and his personality is not able to come through. Sapped of energy and busily playing catch up. It is actually a great choice for him. I actually think both his programs are the best from the whole singles competition at SC (though I like Adam's too), but his SP/performance is the best SP of the season so far. Jeremy's FS is the best LP program for me.

In a season where lyrics/vocals can be used to enhance choreograph programs for the first time, what other better utilisation than a comedic opera with Javier? Ha if only Jason Brown team thought of it.

Ladies have not been impressive so far, many above average, but nothing outstanding.

I agree. Sadly, comedic is right now where Javi is at. I think he would look awkward taking on Carmen, firebird, POTO, Magdelena, Masquerade ball, 4 Seasons, Ave Maria et al He is epic at comedy. Or perhaps not awkward but not suit his giftings as much.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
oops maybe not sadly is what I meant but Javi does comedy best. And Barber of Seville adds a layer of complexity, a nuance while still comedy. You need to know hyour strengths. Elvis Stoijko was quite an energetic skater when he stuck to his epic music. It wasn't Romeo and Juliet or Swan Lake but he played to his strengths andsold the heck out of it.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Oh for gosh sakes Nam is a boy. It is amazing he is pretty consistent with the quad sal and triple axel. give the boy a chance to get enough muscle to add some oommph and speed or at least his driver's license lol.
I didn't critize Nam. I simply stated the fact that he didn't have to cost as much energy as Javi. It's already wonderfulI for him to be consistent and put 2 clean programs together, congrats him for that. It's just comparing Nam's level to Javi is not very right IMO.
Because the poster before me said Nam had no problem early season like Javi so I replied with: Nam was not on the same level of energy consuming as Javi, not to mention Javi had to do ice shows the whole summers. It's understandable IMO. Nothing against Nam at all.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I watched the Men's Free today (partly on Ice Network and partly on NBC) and I didn't see everyone, but my overriding impressions are:

Mura had absolutely ASTOUNDING jumps- textbook, huge, soaring, take-your-breath-away jumps. I hope he got +3 GOE on all or most of them because they were spectacular. and while his choreography was nothing special, he skates with nice speed, flow, and energy. I have nothing negative to say about his skating- there was nothing that irked me or irritated me or that I thought was annoying or ugly. He does lack intensity, passion, and emotional nuance. But oh those jumps and perfectly nice in-betweens too. and I like his relationship with his father/coach and was touched by his tears in the kiss and cry!

Javi was way off his game. Johnny W said he was out of shape and it was not his day. I don't love the program (much prefer the hard-edged, fun, Kurt Browning-esque Black Betty short) but I think when he is landing his jumps well and performing with more energy and flair, the program will be good.

I really like Max's Gladiator program for him. A great fit. He landed a lot of the jumps beautifully and I saw much better musicality and connection to the story this year. He's not my cup of tea, but I like him and I like this program.

Stephen did a lovely job, but I would have had him behind Max simply because Max had not only higher technical content but also a more cohensive and impactful program. Error on the spin and weak spins generally also cost SC. Stephen's music cut was very strange and the two halves of the program didn't cohere effectively. Plus he skates with much less speed than Max.

That being said, I'm very very proud of both of them!

Menshov was not shown on US TV.

Adam Rippon- what a STUNNING long program. Axel problems aside, he skated beautifully and got very high marks for all elements but those axels. He did a new 3.3 combination and did it well. The most mature, intricate, and beautiful of the mens' longs at this event. I so want him to conquer his axel, rise above his nerves, and deliver, because his overall skating is so exquisite and he brings a mature artistry to the sport that reminds me of John Curry or Paul Wylie.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Stephen's music cut was very strange and the two halves of the program didn't cohere effectively.

Completely disagree. The first half of the program is about innocence and waiting for love. The second half is about finding it, after perhaps having ignored your own true feelings, and the sublime feeling it provides.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Completely disagree. The first half of the program is about innocence and waiting for love. The second half is about finding it, after perhaps having ignored your own true feelings, and the sublime feeling it provides.

Your explanation makes me like it a lot more! But I didn't think that theme came through effectively in the actual performance- the music cut was just too jarring. That being said, please know that I am a big fan of Stephen's. I liked his short better than his long, but in general I think he's great and am rooting for him!

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
The music Stephen used was so awful (not Clair de Lune, the emo "sensitive guy" song) I had to turn it down. I thought the choreo was kind of cheesy and cliched - that whole "staring into the distance" bit especially. I don't care one way or the other about him, but I didn't like the program at all.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Why are more people not talking about Carriere, btw? He was good! I feel he had the best program here and should have placed ahead of Max Aaron. Only one tenth of a point away as it stands! Hopefully he can get that spin situation worked out, because it hindered him in both the SP and LP.

I liked it. Contrary to others, I like the music edit and don't find it jarring at all because choreographically he made it work. I must admit I am totally unfamiliar with Carriere before, but after his SP (la vie en rose - Alissa's music. Classic American) and his LP (Clair de lune, music that remind me of Mao or Alissa programs, the 2nd part edit actually makes it less feminine but more contemporary which I appreciate (I have been crying for culturally relevant programs and song to Twilight-breaking dawn is not bad as Stephen did capture a little bit of that bittersweet melancholy mood.) An interesting young skater to look forward to. Maybe Abbott does have an heir in the US after all.

Overall, good instinctual musicality, comfortable navigate between the classics and contemporary (Debussy the most modern among classical music, impressionism on ice) I like how he hold his edge, positions and flows after each element to sell a choreograph movement. Not too much transitions for transitions sake (Denis's SP, intricate maybe but too desperate for applause for me) to deliver movement that actually reflect the music, do as appropriate. Despite spins all over the place, and that he is not as refined or mature as Abbott, he offer good promise. He could try to skate with even more confidence (something Max appear to have, but actually not much interesting thing happening. Jock on ice pretty much sums it up.), but I think once the score do reflect his artistry and he get bit more reputation points, it can only help to boost his self believe. Good balance of art and sport among the men and I'd have placed him in 3rd as well.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
He's 25. We last heard from him in 2007 when he was world junior champion. Couldn't quite get untracked as a senior.

Well actually he had a good debut season. He medaled at NHK Trophy, finished 3rd at Nationals and got top 10 at Worlds, helping the U.S. keep 3 spots for the following season. He actually medaled at Cup of China during his second season.

He missed U.S. Nationals for a few years due to injuries.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
He's 25. We last heard from him in 2007 when he was world junior champion. Couldn't quite get untracked as a senior.
Mlle Piaf begs to differ. ;)

Wow 25 already!! It is always nice to see skaters don't give up and keep working at it until eventually comes together, even if it took years. Good for him.

Well.... this is the Louis Armstrong version that has its own sets of English lyrics independent of the original version by Piaf. It is not a direct translation. Armstrong is quintessentially the best of American classics (golden era 20s to 60s) for me. His unique, untrained and sincere voice moved millions of hearts forever, featured on so many films, commercials world over along with his 'What a wonderful life' are among the greatest American song ever of the golden era to my mind (with the unique background history of race issues were completely broken down by mutual respect and love for the arts, made it even more American). So for the season when lyrics/vocal are allowed to be used for the first time in figure skating, I am so glad to hear an Armstrong being adapted by an American skater without being too obvious one (ie/ What a wonderful life). Besides, some of the greatest American works of the golden era are all generally heavily influence by the French. George Gershwin for example, educated in Paris, heavily influenced and mentored by Ravel and a major contributors that kick start the the Golden Era of American culture around 1920s, with his fusion of Jazz and Classical works on film. Beyond music, the French Art Deco movement also pretty much influenced the American architectural landscape (e.g NYC Empire state building), and features prominently in industrial and interior designs. All these works became uniquely classic American artefacts rather than French.

In any case if Stephen used the Piaf version it would be really awkward, as Piafs original version were sang in the first person from the view of a women describing how her man made her feel whilst in luuurrrve; how he whispers to her, hold her in his arms, made her heart beat so fast, the smile on his lips and all that lovey-dovey stuff, and how she sees the world as rose-tinted. (Even Abbott will have a hard time to make that one work, although I believe Amodio can do it)

Well.... this is the Louis Armstrong version that has its own sets of English lyrics independent of the original version by Piaf. It is not a direct translation. Armstrong is quintessentially the best of American classics (golden era 20s to 60s) for me. His unique, untrained and sincere voice moved millions of hearts forever, featured on so many films, commercials world over along with his 'What a wonderful life' are among the greatest American song ever of the golden era to my mind (with the unique background history of race issues were completely broken down by mutual respect and love for the arts, made it more even American). So for the season when lyrics/vocal are allowed to be used for the first time in figure skating, I am so glad to hear an Armstrong being adapted by an American skater without being too obvious one (ie/ What a wonderful life). Besides, some of the greatest American works of the golden era are all generally heavily influence by the French. George Gershwin for example, educated in Paris, heavily influenced and mentored by Ravel and a major contributors that kick start the the Golden Era of American culture around 1920s, with his fusion of Jazz and Classical works on film. Beyond music, the French Art Deco movement also pretty much influenced the American architectural landscape (e.g NYC Empire state building), and features prominently in industrial and interior designs. All these work became uniquely classic American artefacts rather than French.

:clap: :points:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
An honest answer, since I am one of the people who didn't mention Carriere in my summary and, to be quite sincere, it wasn't intentionally. If you have been watching him over the years (and I'm guessing most people outside the U.S. have seen relatively little of him--as we would any skater ranked in his position in another country), then this felt essentially like the same program he has been performing for years. It's lovely. It's nice. But . . . I've essentially seen it. (Yes, there are lyrics; but is it really new? I'd swear I've seen the costume.) Stephen's style is mature. But it's always the same. He doesn't take artistic risks, and he doesn't hit under pressure. I have no idea how he got the invite to Skate Canada considering his ranking at Nationals last year. Turns out it was a great idea. And I'm as thrilled for him as I would be for any skater who has a good skate after years of getting lost in the shuffle. But there is nothing new in this performance.