2014 Skate Canada Pairs FS 11/01 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2014 Skate Canada Pairs FS 11/01

s_parks

Record Breaker
s/h was not too good today, much better at the chinese comp. at the beginning of the season. They seem like major future champs, though. I was expecting their quad twist to be uneasy but it was great imo. Loved the lift at the beginning too.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD (CAN)

Music: Muse Medley (+vocals)

...stream froze...

3Tw
3Lz
4STh - hand down, stepout
FCCoSp3p
3T+2T+2T
BoDs
5RLi
5ALi
PCoSp3p
3LzTh - hand down
ChSq
3Li

Did not see start, but from what I can see, they've got the title bagged. What did they land?

FS: 69.93+68.11 = 138.04 (PB), 210.74 (PB), 1st (out of 8)

Mao88

Record Breaker
PAIRS FREE SKATE - POSITION AFTER 7 OF 8

1. Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN (CHN) - 184.64 Free Skate
2. Evgenia TARASOVA / Vladimir MOROZOV (RUS) - 175.45 Free Skate
3. Madeline AARON / Max SETTLAGE (USA) - 165.91 Free Skate
4. Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES (FRA) - 161.79 Free Skate
5. Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Michael MARINARO (CAN) - 158.82 Free Skate
6. Brittany JONES / Joshua REAGAN (CAN) - 146.77 Free Skate
7. Mari VARTMANN / Aaron VAN CLEAVE (GER) - 145.89 Free Skate

UnChosen

On the Ice
Sui/Han go for the Russian TraumaDrama, but I'm not sure if it suits them. Why not something from say Debussy or go very classical modern and say John Adams? I think lyrical would suit them better than bombast. YMMV of course.

Even Sui & Han have succumbed to imitating Russian style to get PCS...and it looked like it worked judging by their PCS score, even with the mistakes.

Their SP presentation is by far superior to the LP and didn't have as many mistakes but the PCS is mostly the same. Guess stubborn judges cannot appreciate alternative styles.

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
Meagan and Eric did a great job today! :) I much prefer this long program over last year's FS. Their technical difficulty level is incredible!

Alchamei

Record Breaker

...stream froze...

FCCoSp3p
3T+2T+2T
BoDs
5RLi
5ALi
PCoSp3p
3LzTh - hand down
ChSq
3Li

Did not see start, but from what I can see, they've got the title bagged. What did they land?

Triple twist, solo lutz and quad salchow!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

...stream froze...

FCCoSp3p
3T+2T+2T
BoDs
5RLi
5ALi
PCoSp3p
3LzTh - hand down
ChSq
3Li

Everything. Overrotated on Quad throw and another throw, 3Lo? eta: Nope, hand down on 3Lz throw as you already noted.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Even Sui & Han have succumbed to imitating Russian style to get PCS...and it looked like it worked judging by their PCS score, even with the mistakes.

Their SP presentation is by far superior to the LP and didn't have as many mistakes but the PCS is mostly the same. Guess stubborn judges cannot appreciate alternative styles.

No, judging has always been and probably will always be stodgy and afraid of anything too radical and new. It's like Broadway--which is equally stodgy and conservative. And then they complain that they can't attract a new audience. Well DUH. You brought in on yourselves, so stop complaining.

I really like the D/R long. Some fabulous transitions in there, their presentation has just improved exponentially, and that music suits them far more than that crappy Alice program ever did. Will they ever be a classical or "pretty" pair? Nope. But they are finally finding a style that really works for them. And there is more to life than pretty programs. Should be a very interesting Worlds...

samson

Medalist
Great skate and score for them! A personal best in the free skate and they came really close to getting a competition best.

Mao88

Record Breaker
PAIRS FREE SKATE - VIDEOS & RESULT

1. Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD (CAN) - 210.74 Free Skate
2. Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN (CHN) - 184.64 Free Skate
3. Evgenia TARASOVA / Vladimir MOROZOV (RUS) - 175.45 Free Skate
4. Madeline AARON / Max SETTLAGE (USA) - 165.91 Free Skate
5. Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES (FRA) - 161.79 Free Skate
6. Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Michael MARINARO (CAN) - 158.82 Free Skate
7. Brittany JONES / Joshua REAGAN (CAN) - 146.77 Free Skate
8. Mari VARTMANN / Aaron VAN CLEAVE (GER) - 145.89 Free Skate

unico

Final Flight
I thought that program really played to Duhamel/Radford's strengths and style. And obviously the home crowd loved it, good for them to actually do a good performance at this otherwise messy competition.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Meagan and Eric didn't just skate to win this GP. They were practicing for the Worlds podium, aiming for the top.