Satoko Miyahara | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Satoko Miyahara

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Possibly ill-timed but, I saw someone on TSL say that Satoko was 'good at sourgraping,' further saying that she's given bitchfaces after getting her results not just during Worlds 2015 but in earlier competitions too--I was wondering where this idea of a snob Satoko came from. ~_~
I cannot imagine anyone saying that about Satoko, of all people.

But with success, come the haters. And the haters will see and interpret things... the way they want to see them and interpret them. They'll take things out of context to make something seem bad. Or if they've got nothing, they'll simply invent it. Etc etc. People like that just end up on my ignore list, I don't waste my time with them. I suggest you do the same...

Last edited:

juuryokunashi

On the Ice
they did?? wow.. when she was asked about her reaction and her score (i think it was worlds) she said she couldnt believe her score and was surprised, and about "good at sourgraping" noone was better at it then US girls that time, they almost didnt even look at it and didnt stay at the area and left all together (not that i agree with the idea of 2nd K&C but i think it was rude)

The poster was saying that she can have tea with Polina, who also has this habit of sourgraping. I know of/read of how she was basically speechless and unable to properly react to her scores/placing at Worlds, which was why I was befuddled as to how this person was able to say that about Satoko.

People like that just end up on my ignore list, I don't waste my time with them. I suggest you do the same...

Fortunately it's on TSL, not here on GS. I rarely visit TSL because it's heavily American skaters-centric. Not hating here, just that I wish there were more media outlets out there that actually gave more holistic and un-skewed reviews, commentaries and the like (the biases, I can deal with--everyone has their favourite skater/s; I just wish for balance in reporting.)

Back on track though, I'm looking forward to how Satoko would match up against Mao now that they're both competing at JO and NHK Trophy. She rarely pops or falls on her jumps so I hope she'll still be stable and reliable this season. She and Shoma both. ^^

gotoschool

Medalist
The poster was saying that she can have tea with Polina, who also has this habit of sourgraping. I know of/read of how she was basically speechless and unable to properly react to her scores/placing at Worlds, which was why I was befuddled as to how this person was able to say that about Satoko.

Fortunately it's on TSL, not here on GS. I rarely visit TSL because it's heavily American skaters-centric. Not hating here, just that I wish there were more media outlets out there that actually gave more holistic and un-skewed reviews, commentaries and the like (the biases, I can deal with--everyone has their favourite skater/s; I just wish for balance in reporting.)

Back on track though, I'm looking forward to how Satoko would match up against Mao now that they're both competing at JO and NHK Trophy. She rarely pops or falls on her jumps so I hope she'll still be stable and reliable this season. She and Shoma both. ^^

I really like Satoko's skating especially her musicality, artistry, spins, step sequences and skating skills. Her Skate Canada LP performance was definitely one of the best of the seasons and really moving. I hope she can get just a bit more lift in her jumps. I don't think she shows sour grapes. She was probably just a bit upset that she didn't skate totally clean at Worlds, though a silver medal is a great achievement. It will be exciting to watch her, Mao, Kanako, Rika, Marin and Wakaba all in Nationals together.

I agree that The Skating Lesson shows a preference towards American skaters, but I was pleasantly surprised by this video discussing the Sochi results. Here is what David Lease and the co-host said about Mao's FS.
David states "Mao Asada gave the performance of the night at the Olympics" and "To me that was the moment of the Olympics." He also says, "It was what we want in the Olympic champion and that is everything you could want in a champion." The co-host also says, "That to me was the program of this whole Olympics." and, "When I watched it again, I got emotional just like a big silly baby." The part where they discuss Mao is from
about 18:00-19:00.

http://www.theskatinglesson.com/tsls-2014-olympic-ladies-recap/

They also gave Mao a lot of praise for BOTH her Worlds performances:

Please listen from about 48:00 - 49:30.

http://www.theskatinglesson.com/tsls-2014-world-championships-recap/

and showed that they were upset by the way she was judged.

Last edited:

juuryokunashi

On the Ice
That EX program might be “Wings to Fly” since the original Japanese title  
“翼をください” literally means “Give me the wings” :)

Wings to Fly by Susan Boyle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYdmOT4p0LY

Or maybe Satoko is actually doing the Japanese folk song by Yamamoto Junko/Akaitori? (I mean why would Stephane post 'Give me the wings' when the English song "Wings to Fly" by Susan Boyle is popular? Is it popular? Sorry I don't listen to English songs, lol. Never heard Susan Boyle's song until now, thanks for the link!)

BUT. Both are beautiful songs so I wouldn't mind whichever of the two she's actually skating to.

hb2010

Rinkside
SURPRISING it's the best cover version of the song "翼をください" I have heard in my life!!

:points:

I know this is the Satoko thread, but I was thinking the Susan Boyle version suites Mao’s skating style
and was secretly hoping that one of her jazzy numbers of her programs would be replaced by it. :eek::

Maybe that is the reason I posted the version instead of the original one, juuryoknashi. :)

… So you haven’t seen Susan Boyle’s 'legendary' performance at Britain’s Got Talent?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxPZh4AnWyk (Sorry for OT!)

Last edited:

yhmafan

Medalist
I know this is the Satoko thread, but I was thinking the Susan Boyle version suites Mao’s skating style
and was secretly hoping that one of her jazzy numbers of her programs would be replaced by it. :eek::

Maybe that is the reason I posted the version instead of the original one, juuryoknashi. :)

… So you haven’t seen Susan Boyle’s 'legendary' performance at Britain’s Got Talent?

Thanks for the link. I remember I saw the scene sometimes on news or something.
but I didn’t know she has such a beautiful voice like a crystal.
haha Now my imagination is going so far for picturing that Mao skates to Wings to fly. :love:

They had a great choice for Satoko really.. I will look forward to watch her EX. (Competitive programs as well) :cheer:

juuryokunashi

On the Ice

I was hoping Satoko would skate to the original one actually. I wanted to see something different, I guess. (Except this weekend in my sickbed I watched a 12-hour music SP and finally realised it was the same song, just with different arrangement. Bwahaha my bad.)

I've seen her BGT auditions, it was the rave back then, I just really don't watch/listen to English music these days. Music used by skaters on their EXes are the only ones I've become familiar to.

mikaboo

Medalist
Reposting from Shoma's thread.
According to Tokyo Chunichi Sports, Shoma will compete in U.S. International Figure Skating Classic along with Satoko and Kanako.

And Satoko has been added to the cast of Shizuka Arakawa's Friends on Ice.

ETA: Satoko's coach, Yamato Tamura, will also be in the same show. It'll be interesting to see a coach and student in the same ice show!

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
thanks mikaboo! ,i agree that she looks more mature (when she isnt at group picture/routine without make up haha) and confident, i kinda like the dress, just not her shoulder part, but need to see the program, i cant wait! how did she perform it? not just elements but i wonder how did she improved her performance :love:

firal

Record Breaker
Getting excited to see her SP after reading lots of positive reviews on twitter. The music is apparently a flamenco piece.