Men's Prospects After Two Events | Golden Skate

Men's Prospects After Two Events

MissIzzy

Final Flight
After two events, we've had 23 men compete, and a few would-be contenders for the Grand Prix Finale have been knocked out. The prospects for the top four from the North American leg of the series:

Skate America:

1. Tatsuki Machida: Need only medal at Trophée Eric Bompard, where the most consistent of his competition will be Han Yan, and there's a possibility that Denis Ten, Florent Amodio, or even Adam Rippon could also beat him, but he might need to be weaker than he was in Chicago and then have really bad luck for them all to suddenly put it together. So barring that highly improbable scenario, he's probably in.

2. Jason Brown: Needs to win in Russia to seal it, for which he'd probably need some help from Javier Fernandez, though he might just get that. If he doesn't, silver and a pretty good shot is a beat easier; his main threats would be Michal Brezina, Takahiko Kozuka, Max Aaron, Maxim Kovtun, or possibly Sergei Voronov, Artur Gachinski(if he suddenly turns things around), or lately Stephen Carriere. But the first two haven't been skating well lately, and the others he should beat so long as he doesn't have a bad day, so all in all his chances are pretty good.

3. Nam Nguyen: To seal it would need to win in China, where between Yuzuru Hanyu and Yan it'll be hard for him to even get silver and a chance, and that's leaving out the other candidates for even bronze.

4. Denis Ten: To have a good chance he'd have to win in Paris, which he actually might do if he suddenly went lights out, but even then it wouldn't be easy to beat Machida, and Yan might also still threaten, though he'd then have a better shot of silver and not being entirely out of it.

Skate Canada:

1. Takahiko Mura: Need only medal in Japan, which actually should not be that hard for him to do, since if he skates well the only person likely to beat him is Hanyu or possibly a lights-out Jeremy Abbott. But his record being what it is, there's no certainty he'll skate well.

2. Javier Fernandez: Needs to win in Russia to seal it, which he's more likely than not to do unless he skates badly. Even if he does skate badly, to lose in this field would probably require one of Brown, Brezina, or Kozuka to skate well, and the way the last two have been skating lately, it doesn't seem likely that he'll get less than silver, with which his chances are still good, and to be knocked off the podium and out of contention is even more unlikely.

3. Max Aaron: Also would need to win Russia, but for him that would be a very big ask, and even for silver and a chance he'd probably need help from all the others mentioned above, though that he might just get.

4. Stephen Carriere: Would need to win Russia just for a chance, and even silver there seems a big ask for him.

Out of contention, but might be a factor at their other events:

Jeremy Abbott: 5th at Skate America, but if he can just skate better has a good chance of being a factor in Japan(or maybe just winning bronze there)
Florent Amodio: 6th at Skate Canada, but might put it together better and mix things up in France.
Michal Brezina, Takahiko Kozuka, & Artur Gachinski: 7th-9th at Skate Canada, but the first two especially have the potential to do better in Russia, and it's still not entirely impossible for the third either
Adam Rippon: 10th in Skate Canada, but if he does turn things around in Paris the field is such he might not even need to be perfect to mix things up

Contenders yet to skate:

Han Yan
Yuzuru Hanyu
Maxim Kovtun(possibly)

Current Standings
http://www.isuresults.com/events/gp2014/gpsmen.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Nice Summary!
I'm interested to see how Han Yan and Maxim Kovtun compete against Yuzuru Hanyu.
They are both 'rising stars' in their country -or are trying to be. So they will be throwing everything they have to beat Hanyu or to get close to his scores.
Hanyu, on the other hand, spent all last season chasing Patrick Chan, so how will he compete now that he is being chased?

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I think Mura, Hanyu, Machida, and Fernandez will almost certainly make it to the final...the other 2 are up in the air. It could be Kovtun, Han Yan (maybe, but I'll be surprised if he makes the podium at both events), maybe Aaron. I don't think Brown will pull it off. Nguyen...dark horse, but possible. Voronov's chances are very low, much as I hate to say it. Most of the others have no chance at all.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think Mura, Hanyu, Machida, and Fernandez will almost certainly make it to the final...the other 2 are up in the air. It could be Kovtun, Han Yan (maybe, but I'll be surprised if he makes the podium at both events), maybe Aaron. I don't think Brown will pull it off. Nguyen...dark horse, but possible. Voronov's chances are very low, much as I hate to say it. Most of the others have no chance at all.

Actually I think Jason has a good shot. He currently has a silver medal (13 points) and his next competition is Rostelecom Cup, where he has beaten everyone there except Javier Fernandez. And Javier does not have a huge PCS buffer on Jason if he messes up. He got 83+ at Skate Canada while Jason earned 81+ at Skate America.

Fernandez SHOULD win if he skates his best, but his scores are definitely in Jason territory if he makes major errors. (158+ FS from Skate Canada is the same as Jason's PB from last season, which was done despite a popped axel).

HanDomi

Record Breaker
You forgot about SP. He would have to bomb both programs to this happen

And there is more skaters in queue for podium. Max AAron on good day can score decent, even Voronov

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
You forgot about SP. He would ha ve to bomb both programs to this happen

Well, FWIW, he didn't bomb his SP and made a silly error on the axel to get 86+, which again is striking distance for Jason who can score in the 83-84 range if he hits his program and gets all the levels.

Basically if Javier makes a bunch of errors -- they can add up.

I want to be clear that I think Javier, in theory, should win easily, but ice is slippery.

As for the rest. Yes, they all can score in the low-to-mid 80s, but it will comes down to who will be clean. I don't think its guaranteed that Jason will get silver, but I think he has a good shot at it.

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Mura has a really good shot! I hope he's going to skate well, that should give him at least a bronze at NHK (more likely a silver).

Jasons chances are pretty good too. A silver should be enough for him, especially if Machida and Hanyu win both their events. He might even make it with a bronze too, depending on how the other guys do...

The last one to add will probably be Kovtun or Yan (and very likely not both). Those two are at the same events, one alongside Hanyu and one alongside Machida. So while one of them could win CoC or TEB, it's most likely they'll both end up around silver/bronze. Aaron and Nguyen could still shake things up... but for now my prediction would be Hanyu, Fernandez, Machida, Mura, Brown and Kovtun (though I would prefer Yan...).

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I agree with most of the analysis, except this part:
his main threats would be Michal Brezina, Takahiko Kozuka, Max Aaron, Maxim Kovtun, or possibly Sergei Voronov, Artur Gachinski(if he suddenly turns things around), or lately Stephen Carriere. But the first two haven't been skating well lately, and the others he should beat so long as he doesn't have a bad day, so all in all his chances are pretty good.
I wouldn't say Jason can easily beat Aaron, Kovtun, or even Voronov/Gachinski as long as he skates clean. It would also require those skaters to make mistakes, which they are prone to do. But Jason isn't free of mistakes himself, and if he gets UR calls again.

I do think Jason's chances at the final are good. I just think he'll need better than "not a total meltdown."

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I would like to see Nguyen and Brown in GPF, but we will see how things will go

Alba

Record Breaker
I think Hanuyu, Machida, Javier, Kovtun, Brown, Mura or Nguyen.

HarvieKrumpet

Rinkside
Personally I hope Denis Ten would win in Paris, he is the only Olympic medalist without GP medal; but who knows, he seems need much more practice with new program, both programs are so great though.

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
i can't believe Hanyu made the final with FOUR horrible/disastrous performances. SP/LP SP/LP

RIP.... rip. and rip. Unfair and disgusting. idc.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
i can't believe Hanyu made the final with FOUR horrible/disastrous performances. SP/LP SP/LP

RIP.... rip. and rip. Unfair and disgusting. idc.

Some of his jumps failed, but some did not. Otherwise he had great programmes and his skating was enjoyable as well as the interpretation, in my opinion. He deserved his place in Barcelona, I would say.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Personally I hope Denis Ten would win in Paris, he is the only Olympic medalist without GP medal; but who knows, he seems need much more practice with new program, both programs are so great though.

He got a bronze medal at TEB.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Some of his jumps failed, but some did not. Otherwise he had great programmes and his skating was enjoyable as well as the interpretation, in my opinion. He deserved his place in Barcelona, I would say.

His actually skating was actually pretty poor at CoC (understandably in the FS especially). At NHK he actually had a worse SP than CoC. Although his FS was vastly better in terms of execution of jumps and overall performance.

His average TES for the SP (38.53 and 36.90 = 37.72) and for the FS (75.58 and 70.31 = 72.94) would have been the 15th best TES in the SP and 12th best TES in the FS at last year's Worlds. I'm not even going to bother with comparing those scores to other skaters. Obviously it's not a reflection of him... It's the judges who gave enough PCS with those performances to prop him into the GPF. I would have much rather seen skaters who did clean SPs and LPs like Ge, Murakami and Nguyen (heck even skaters like Ten or Abbott or Besseghier or Menshov with a decent SP segment) be there.

It's not that Hanyu didn't skate a clean SP or LP... It's that he bombed both SPs, did one of the worst FS ever after that collision, and did a ho hum FS at NHK. Not one quad landed in 6 attempts, and axel errors too which is unheard of for him. He's a world class skater but the GPF needs to be representative of those who were best on the GP circuit and he simply didn't ever make a case for that. Shame on the judges.

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Posters above you were defending PChiddy when he won WC 2012 and 2013. ;)

:biggrin:

My predictions were pretty much on point, looking back at the start of this thread. I'm just sorry I doubted Sergei. Good luck to all the men (even you, Kovtun).

Florencito

Medalist
I blame the rules. Hanyu should have had no business taking part into THIS GPF but he's there because the rules allowed his presence. Disgusting IMHO.
Good luck to all the men anyway, especially Javier.

mjj

Rinkside
Why not let Kovtun win the GPF since he won 2 GPs...now everybody happy? :biggrin: