Ladies Prospects After Two Events | Golden Skate

Ladies Prospects After Two Events

MissIzzy

Final Flight
After two events, a bunch of Russians, and 22 competitors skating so far, I'm not sure we've even any real contenders knocked out yet, though a serious question must now be raised if any non-Russians can do well enough to make it in. Studying the ladies who have competed so far:

Skate America:

1. Elena Radionova: Need only medal in France, where if she skates well her only threats will be Julia Lipnitskaia or possibly Ashley Wagner, so this should be easy barring disaster.

2. Elizaveta Tuktamisheva: Would need a win in China to seal it, where it'll be pretty hard for her to beat Lipnitskaia. But silver and a very good chance is a bit easier; while she would need to beat Kanako Murakami and Zijun Li, and it's not entirely impossible even Polina Edmunds could be a threat, she is capable of winning against them, Li especially, and even if she doesn't, she has an even better chance for bronze, and then it's as the chips fall.

3. Gracie Gold: Would need to win Japan to seal it, which she might just do, especially if she gets any help from Adelina Sotnikova. But even if she doesn't, for silver and as the chips fall, her competition consists of Kanako Murakami, Satoko Miyahara, Alena Leonova, possibly Elene Gedevanishvili or Polina Edmunds, all of whom she should beat if she's on enough, though Murakami may be the hardest. The real question there is whether or not she will be.

4. Samantha Cesario: For a chance would have to win in France, where the field's probably too competitive for even a real shot at silver.

Skate Canada:

1. Anna Pogorilaya: Need only medal in Russia, which she just might win, though she probably would really need help from Sotnikova. But even if she doesn't get that, the rest of the field is such that silver would still be hers unless she skates badly(which perhaps there is a lingering chance of).

2. Ashley Wagner: To seal it would need to win in Paris, where the odds are against her besting either Radionova or Lipnitskaia. But the rest of the field is such her chances of bronze and as the chips fall are pretty good, unless she has a Japan Open-level of problems.

3. Satoko Miyahara: Would need to win in Japan to seal it. For that she's definitely need some help from Gold, Sotnikova, and Murakami, which will make it difficult to even get silver. But while the odds are against her, it's still not entirely impossible she could skate lights-out and then get lucky.

4. Courtney Hicks: For a chance would need to win in France, and in that field it's highly unlikely even silver could happen.

Out of contention, but a possible factor at other events:

Mirai Nagasu & Alena Leonova: 6th at Skate America & Skate Canada respectively, but looking to fight back at their second events, could always shock someone in Russia or Japan respectively.
Elene Gedevanishvili: 7th at Skate America, probably won't be a factor in Japan but you never know.

Contenders yet to skate:

Kanako Murakami
Julia Lipnitskaia
Adelina Sotnikova
Zijun Li(possibly)

Current Standings
http://www.isuresults.com/events/gp2014/gpsladies.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

flutzy13

On the Ice
Don't see Gracie making the final. She didn't capitalize on her home event. She'll need to both skate lights out at NHK and have a lot of help.

Don't understand why Polina isn't listed as a contender. She is very much a contender and IMO the most likely US entry.

Ashley's silver was a nice start but unfortunately she got probably the worst possible combo of Julia and Elena at her next event.

The big question is Sotnikova. Will she actually skate? Is she injured? What's her fitness level?

Jeff_Kenya

Spectator
Well, Sotnikova looked okay at the Russian Cup last Weekend. She self evaluated her skate like "50%" of what she plans to lay down this season. She still has 2 weeks till COR, so I guess she can make the podium if she hits the layout she showed this weekend and can top the podium if she does everything she plans. Unfortunately I don't believe she will start this season well. So if she skates clean, I guess it will be silver or bronze. Although new programs suit her very well, she looks comfortable skating them and finally she seems enjoying competing.
I hope she'll pull herself together and will show beatiful skating:)

MalAssada

Medalist
I also don't think her skating skills will be enough for a gold medal in CoR, but I'm afraid the same that happened in SkAm will happen in CoR if she doesn't live up to the expectations.

I'd love seeing Liza going to the GPF, too, along with Yulia and Elena :love:

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Well, Sotnikova looked okay at the Russian Cup last Weekend. She self evaluated her skate like "50%" of what she plans to lay down this season. She still has 2 weeks till COR, so I guess she can make the podium if she hits the layout she showed this weekend and can top the podium if she does everything she plans. Unfortunately I don't believe she will start this season well. So if she skates clean, I guess it will be silver or bronze. Although new programs suit her very well, she looks comfortable skating them and finally she seems enjoying competing.
I hope she'll pull herself together and will show beatiful skating:)

Weird, I saw a 0:47 second clip from this Russian Cup (a rather clandestine event, it looks like a maximum of 50 people on the bleachers) just showing three of her jumps, and her talking about how how she is "pleased with herself because she was able to do everything she planned and was able to overcome and despite everything go on ice and skate my program". Despite everything? Like, what is that supposed to mean? :think:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Weird, I saw a 0:47 second clip from this Russian Cup (a rather clandestine event, it looks like a maximum of 50 people on the bleachers) just showing three of her jumps, and her talking about how how she is "pleased with herself because she was able to do everything she planned and was able to overcome and despite everything go on ice and skate my program". Despite everything? Like, what is that supposed to mean? :think:

May be it was lost in translation but in this clip in Russian she said: "I am pleased because I skated injured and yet managed to do a lot what I planned and I am pleased that I could overcome it and despite everything come to ice and skate my program".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8_jV4Mn8fI

...which makes CoR predictions for the top lady rather difficult.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I think Satoko have a good chance to medal at Japan. She'll probably have PCS boost at home and her TES is good enough already (more than 63 points at SkaCa). Sotnikova will need to completely bomb her programs, and she still will have highest PCS, so her chances are good too. Japan open will be the hardest event to predict, IMO. There also will be Polina Edmunds (I think it's her break-out season), and Leonova who already have beaten Gold this season. Can't wait.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
MissIzzy said:
Satoko Miyahara: Would need to win in Japan to seal it. For that she's definitely need some help from Gold, Sotnikova, and Murakami, which will make it difficult to even get silver.

Satokos score from SC is actually slightly higher than Gracies from SA. Kanako has a lot of UR problems herself (and a weaker layout than Satoko), and Adelina is still injured or at least only coming back from injury. While it's maybe not the most likeliest outcome, Satoko does have a good shot at silver. Polina could definitely beat her too, but that's hard to say, since she yet has to skate her first GP.

I'd also say Polina is a bigger threat to Liza in CoC than Zijun or Kanako... my guess for now would be: Elena, Julia, Liza, Adelina, Anna P. and maybe Satoko, if not then Ashley.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd also say Polina is a bigger threat to Liza in CoC than Zijun or Kanako... my guess for now would be: Elena, Julia, Liza, Adelina, Anna P. and maybe Satoko, if not then Ashley.

I'd say this a good guess. If Alena hadn't had that rough free skate at SC, we might be looking at a potential all Russian GPF. Wouldn't that have been amazing!

I hope Ashley gets her 3-3 ready for her next assignment, she could sneak in.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
May be it was lost in translation but in this clip in Russian she said: "I am pleased because I skated injured and yet managed to do a lot what I planned and I am pleased that I could overcome it and despite everything come to ice and skate my program".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8_jV4Mn8fI

...which makes CoR predictions for the top lady rather difficult.

Ah yes, my bad. That is the clip I translated and was talking about. She speaks a little up her nose so I didn't even catch "skated with injury" the first time I heard it.

Also, where are videos of Sotnikova's programs at this event? All the other top ladies seem to have their uploaded, except Sotnikova... :confused: As one Youtube commentator writes on Sakhanovich's video (the second place at Russian cup, see here) "Where are Sotnikova's programs, is the montage of the moves she succeeded in doing not finished yet?" :laugh: :popcorn:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Ah yes, my bad. That is the clip I translated and was talking about. She speaks a little up her nose so I didn't even catch "skated with injury" the first time I heard it.

Also, where are videos of Sotnikova's programs at this event? All the other top ladies seem to have their uploaded, except Sotnikova... :confused: As one Youtube commentator writes on Sakhanovich's video (the second place at Russian cup, see here) "Where are Sotnikova's programs, is the montage of the moves she succeeded in doing not finished yet?" :laugh: :popcorn:

Well, this argument is not going to anything good, so please stop. I'm not a fan of Adelina myself, but I have respect for her and her fans. Let's wait till her first GP and see how she will do.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Well, this argument is not going to anything good, so please stop. I'm not a fan of Adelina myself, but I have respect for her and her fans. Let's wait till her first GP and see how she will do.

Good point, but I state it not because I dislike Adelina so much (or because I want to offend her or something) but because I cannot stand the lack of transparency in things like this. :slink:

Alba

Record Breaker
Satokos score from SC is actually slightly higher than Gracies from SA. Kanako has a lot of UR problems herself (and a weaker layout than Satoko), and Adelina is still injured or at least only coming back from injury. While it's maybe not the most likeliest outcome, Satoko does have a good shot at silver. Polina could definitely beat her too, but that's hard to say, since she yet has to skate her first GP.

Let's not forget that Gracie lost point with that spin. An error is unlikely to happen again, so the points between her and Satoko are not to be compared at this stage.

However, I agree with you in general. You never know what's going to happen actually.
Yulia hasn't skated yet and she did change her boots, so no idea how is she going to do.
I have no idea about the ladies except for Radionova.

p.s. If someone wants Sotnikova's videos so much, they should check her topic.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Let's not forget that Gracie lost point with that spin. An error is unlikely to happen again, so the points between her and Satoko are not to be compared at this stage.

Maybe... but Gracie was skating at home, while Satoko will have that advantage in NHK. So I guess if Gracie wants to beat Satoko, she needs to skate better than she did at SA. How much better will probably depend on how well Satoko does...

MissIce said:
As one Youtube commentator writes on Sakhanovich's video (the second place at Russian cup, see here) "Where are Sotnikova's programs, is the montage of the moves she succeeded in doing not finished yet?"

You know - the time you needed to read that comment on YT and post it here could have been enough to find Adelinas videos on GS. If you would have bothered to check her topic or that of the competition...

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Don't see Gracie making the final. She didn't capitalize on her home event. She'll need to both skate lights out at NHK and have a lot of help.

Don't understand why Polina isn't listed as a contender. She is very much a contender and IMO the most likely US entry.

Ashley's silver was a nice start but unfortunately she got probably the worst possible combo of Julia and Elena at her next event.

The big question is Sotnikova. Will she actually skate? Is she injured? What's her fitness level?

Gracie really needed at least silver at SA. Losing to Radionova was a bit expected, but losing to Tukt might have sealed her GPF fate. It will be extremely hard for her to win in Japan at the pace she's going and considering Edmunds has had good form so far, and Miyahara might avoid UR calls on home ice. And plus there's Sotnikova.

Sotnikova is a question mark, but I think her PCS is high enough to account for any errors she might have... certainly she's showed she can still do her jumps, but whether she's competition ready is another thing (especially given her injury).

It is a veritable possibility that the GPF will be Radionova/Pogorilaya/Sotnikova/Lipnitskaia/Tuktamysheva and I'm guessing Edmunds or Miyahara if she's lucky. Unfortunately, I think Wagner will lose to both Russians at TEB (unless she skates extremely well and either of them bomb).

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Gracie really needed at least silver at SA. Losing to Radionova was a bit expected, but losing to Tukt might have sealed her GPF fate. It will be extremely hard for her to win in Japan at the pace she's going and considering Edmunds has had good form so far, and Miyahara might avoid UR calls on home ice. And plus there's Sotnikova.

Sotnikova is a question mark, but I think her PCS is high enough to account for any errors she might have... certainly she's showed she can still do her jumps, but whether she's competition ready is another thing (especially given her injury).

It is a veritable possibility that the GPF will be Radionova/Pogorilaya/Sotnikova/Lipnitskaia/Tuktamysheva and I'm guessing Edmunds or Miyahara if she's lucky. Unfortunately, I think Wagner will lose to both Russians at TEB (unless she skates extremely well and either of them bomb).

A lot will depend on how Polina does this week. If she does not do well. I think Wagner has a better chance than Gracie. Mostly because I think a bronze or a silver with a mistake at TEB is more likely than Gracie doing well enough in Japan. Id love to see the five Russians go at it like that. To be honest I kinda wished Leonova would have made it but ohh well. (I am totally in love with her SP).

Then again we really should wait for Lipnitskaia before we make these kinds of predictions. We just don't know how Polina or Julia/Yulia (do we have a formal consensus on that) will do this season. US Classic was early in the season and long ago, we have not seen Polina since, and I don't know how much we have seen from Lipnitskaia so far this season.

This event is really going to start to reveal the rest of the season. SA an SC we kinda had a better idea of where the top ladies were at. We don't have as much info this time.

I almost want to see Russia sweep the GPF, European Championships and World's all with different skaters. That would be impressive to see. They likely have the ladies to do it, just maybe not the ladies of age to do it. When will Evgenia and Serafima (and Sotskova but I don't know I seen her talked about as much) be moving up to more senior competitions? Evgenia turns 15 this month.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
When will Evgenia and Serafima (and Sotskova but I don't know I seen her talked about as much) be moving up to more senior competitions? Evgenia turns 15 this month.

Evgenia, Serafima and Maria will all be eligible in the 2015-2016 season.

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
I almost want to see Russia sweep the GPF, European Championships and World's all with different skaters. That would be impressive to see. They likely have the ladies to do it, just maybe not the ladies of age to do it. When will Evgenia and Serafima (and Sotskova but I don't know I seen her talked about as much) be moving up to more senior competitions? Evgenia turns 15 this month.

This would be a unique achievement for Russia!! Answering to your question, since they were all 14 at 1st of July, they will be juniors all this season long. I think some of them (maybe all four) will go to senior grand prix next season.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
On more digging

To be on the Senior Grand Prix, you need to be 14 by July of that season.

Serafima Sakhanovich is 14 born February 9, 2000
Evgenia Medvedeva is 14 born November 19, 1999
Maria Sotskova is 14 born April 12, 2000

So. . . if I am reading this right, all were old enough to compete in senior grand prix this year? Do we know why they did not? Do the Russians like to rack up junior victories maybe? Could it be something to do with qualifications and not getting a chance to skate somewhere to get qualified do too too many other good skaters with seniority?

When you say all four, I assume you are talking about Sasha? I keep seeing a Sasha mentioned, but what is her last name?