2014 Cup of China Ladies Short Program 11/07 | Page 34 | Golden Skate

2014 Cup of China Ladies Short Program 11/07

FIREBIRD

On the Ice
Even being a huge Yulia supporter, I believe she could have easily beat Yulia here if she landed everything perfectly and did everything else with that same energy. Her ability to convey the overall performance is simply superior at this moment (but Yulia has also gone so far in that aspect in a very short time!)

In my opinion, Yulia is miles ahead of Polina. She is far more consistent, her spins are way better, her programs are more original, and she has amazing will power. I like Polina, but right now, I don't think she can even beat Gold.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Sandpiper, you don't but other people were acting like it was a crime that she got a few +1s. I don't get it.

I can't speak about other people's 2A because to me it always looks so difficult, I mean like they're expending so much effort to jump up and they don't land smoothly, there's a hitch on the landing (usually). Elizaveta's looked really smooth here. But other than a bit more height I don't see anything that different than Yulia's. Also her exit was more difficult, but Yulia had fantastic extension, also demonstrating great control. Do I think Elizaveta's should have had more GOE? Yes, slightly more for the tano which she got. Yulia had 0.36, Elizaveta, 0.93.

Overall jump GOE Yulia 2.76, Elizaveta 3.63.
Spins and Step GOE Yulia 3.58 Elizaveta 2.79 (with one spin level 3 and her FSSp4 spin was lower BV than Yulia's FCSp: she lost a further 0.50 there.)

To sum up Elizaveta had the edge on Jumps, but spins and steps were worth more when both have the same jump content, Lz vs. F with 1.1 bonus. Yulia won because of spins and steps here since their PCS were only 0.61 apart.
But Liza's axel is not "slightly" better than Yulia's. That would be like saying Yulia's layback is just "slightly" better than Liza's. I basically can't think of any way to improve Liza's axel (except turning it into a triple, maybe? :)), whereas Yulia's axel is about average (not bad, of course). Liza's has better height, a lot more distance, a more difficult exit (which consequently matched the music), plus the 'tano. Her axel also fit "effortless throughout" criteria better than Yulia's. I would give Liza's +3 and Yulia +1--a no-brainer, imo.

I don't think it's an injustice Yulia placed first. It's just that I personally would have had Liza first because I find her performance more vibrant, and her program more polished. A virtual tie would also be a fair result. I may have my own opinion, but I think either placement is within reason.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
That's really stupid to me... you could have a skater get penalized because judge punches the wrong button. To me they should have something like a 2 minute gap between the time they submit scores and when it becomes 'official'. In a close competition, that could be the difference between final standings.

didn't this happen at the olympics in synchro swimming and it cost the Canadian girl gold to an American or something like that.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
That's really stupid to me... you could have a skater get penalized because judge punches the wrong button. To me they should have something like a 2 minute gap between the time they submit scores and when it becomes 'official'. In a close competition, that could be the difference between final standings.

FWIW the same thing happened to Mariah Bell at Nebelhorn. The general reaction seemed to be that it would be thrown out so it does not really matter. It seems the throwing out the highest and lowest is seen as a way to help lessen the issue to avoid challenges.

There is a way to challenges some things, but not much. I think I recall a challenge happening in ice dancing a few years back being discussed.

Allowing challenges, can become a headache quickly. Slippery slope till you see half the level 2s and 3s being "challenged"

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Just watched Zijun's video to the end and realized she has a new coach. Wonder if this is a temporary thing. If she wants to have a breakthrough, she needs a coach that can transform her.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Completely disagree with you. In my opinion, her program was the most original one, compared to other programs that were Phantom of the Opera (which seems like everyone is doing this season) or just pretty princess music like Li Zijuns. :rolleye: As for the costume, it gives a “vintage” feel to the overall kite idea. Not to mention it’s simple, without ruffles and too much sparkles.

I was thinking that Yulia's costume, coupled with the tights-over-boots gave her the appearance of a mid-'60s Mod. Go Go boots would've gone great with that outfit lol. Anyway, unlike some, I really like Yulia's costume and I like her SP the more I watch it.