State of Japanese Skaters 2014-2015 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

State of Japanese Skaters 2014-2015

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2d2se2_フィギュアスケート新世紀へ_sport

This 50 Minute video is a prelude to the Japan Nationals and features the up-coming Juniors, Seniors and also those who are having their last try at nationals. It made me well up with tears.:cry: Each of these skaters has given everything they have to come to Japan nationals and have endured a lot of pain and difficulties. I hope they ALL do well.

Brilliant, Newbiespectator. Thanks for sharing!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Well, the dust has settled somewhat and the Skaters to be sent to Worlds and 4CC has been decided.
What do you all think?

Personally, I'd like Kozuka to make an epic comeback and medal at Worlds. I know it's unlikely, but that's what I want!

I think Satoko can win 4CC if she keeps her nerve and rotates her jumps.

Go Team Japan!

--And rest well Yuzu.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Well, the dust has settled somewhat and the Skaters to be sent to Worlds and 4CC has been decided.
What do you all think?

Personally, I'd like Kozuka to make an epic comeback and medal at Worlds. I know it's unlikely, but that's what I want!

I think Satoko can win 4CC if she keeps her nerve and rotates her jumps.

Go Team Japan!

--And rest well Yuzu.
I'm seriously worried about Kozuka. Even his Nationals performance isn't going to be competitive at Worlds, considering all the URs and two-foots. Even if Yuzu/Javi fall twice, or Ten falls once, or Kovtun pops his 4S, they'll still have a GOE advantage over him. In theory, his PCS should rescue him somewhat... but we all know the judges might not feel the same way. He'll probably know this though, so hopefully he's working on those jumps.

I find it difficult to predict 4CC because we're still not sure which American/Canadian ladies will be there. Assuming they send a "second-tier" team again, it would come down to Satoko vs. Rika: Who Rotates More Jumps. I'm leaning on Satoko because Rika's still getting e on her lutz. In theory, SoYoun and Zijun can play spoiler, but neither of them have skated particularly well on the GP circuit. I suspect they'll need Satoko/Rika to mess up to regain ground.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm seriously worried about Kozuka. Even his Nationals performance isn't going to be competitive at Worlds, considering all the URs and two-foots. Even if Yuzu/Javi fall twice, or Ten falls once, or Kovtun pops his 4S, they'll still have a GOE advantage over him. In theory, his PCS should rescue him somewhat... but we all know the judges might not feel the same way. He'll probably know this though, so hopefully he's working on those jumps.

I find it difficult to predict 4CC because we're still not sure which American/Canadian ladies will be there. Assuming they send a "second-tier" team again, it would come down to Satoko vs. Rika: Who Rotates More Jumps. I'm leaning on Satoko because Rika's still getting e on her lutz. In theory, SoYoun and Zijun can play spoiler, but neither of them have skated particularly well on the GP circuit. I suspect they'll need Satoko/Rika to mess up to regain ground.
US and Canada won't send their second team again like last season. That was only because the Olympics were to close to 4CC and they couldn't send their skaters all the way to Taiwan then turn around a week later and go to Sochi.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Well if Kovtun pops his 4S I think he can be beatable for Kozuka, but Kozuka must land his quads with secure landing, not two foots like nationals. If Kozuka is clean he should crush Kovtun on PCS ;)

If Yuzu and Javi will be in form, especially Yuzuru after surgery, then top2 is a lock propably, but there will be big battle for 3rd, and I think Kozuka can do this

but there is Denis Ten ho will propably as always jump out of nowhere in last moment and take 3rd place :biggrin:

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I totally agree about Kozuka losing points in GOE's.
If he can clean up his landings he can get another 10 points or so.

jimeonji

Final Flight
I love Taka and all but I really don't see him on the World podium. It already was a miracle that he got on the national podium - I'm very hesitant to hope for a second miracle at Worlds. Rotated quads on one foot is really too much to hope for.

Besides, the judges have never loved Taka and don't usually give him too great PCS, even though he deserves much better imo.

makaihime

Final Flight
I love Taka and all but I really don't see him on the World podium. It already was a miracle that he got on the national podium - I'm very hesitant to hope for a second miracle at Worlds. Rotated quads on one foot is really too much to hope for.

Besides, the judges have never loved Taka and don't usually give him too great PCS, even though he deserves much better imo.

It wasn't his first miracle and I'm hoping it won't be his last....I'm also not confident that he'll be able to rotate everything but if everyone else falters, I think he has a chance for bronze. A slim chance but a chance non the less.

jimeonji

Final Flight
It wasn't his first miracle and I'm hoping it won't be his last....I'm also not confident that he'll be able to rotate everything but if everyone else falters, I think he has a chance for bronze. A slim chance but a chance non the less.

Seeing him on the World podium one last time would be an amazing way to finish off his career... maybe he'll pull another miracle. Before Nationals I thought he wouldn't even do well enough to make the 4CC team. But everyone else would have to mess up a LOT lol. And we can't rely on Taka's PCS either - no way the international judges are going to give him 89 like they did at Nats.
To give some numbers - Kovtun has consistently gotten 80+ PCS this season for his LP (including a 83 at CoC) except at GPF (78); Taka got 82 and 84 respectively at 4CC and Worlds last season and hasn't broken 80 in PCS this season. So Kovtun has to mess up a lot.

But who knows? We've certainly seen enough craziness this season.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2gcewo_news-全国中学校フィギュアスケート-樋口新葉-山本草太_sport
Update on two Juniors of Interest.
Wakaba Higuchi and Sota Yamamoto have both won the All Japan Junior High Championships.
Wakaba missed her first 3-3 combination but had the presence in mind to add it in later as a 3-3-2!
Sota has made himself a new record by successfully landing 2 3A's in his LP and thereby winning by a whopping 70 points. He seemed very happy and mentioned that Hanyu landed his 3As in his third year of Junior high, so he's getting closer to being his rival now. He also trains a quite big 4T, so hopefully he will be able to add that in next year.

An interesting fact about this championship is that Hanyu has won 3 times in a row from 2008-2010, Uno from 2011-2013, and now Yamamoto has won 2014,2015.

Barb

Record Breaker
Wakaba Higuchi and Sota Yamamoto have both won the All Japan Junior High Championships.
Wakaba missed her first 3-3 combination but had the presence in mind to add it in later as a 3-3-2!
Sota has made himself a new record by successfully landing 2 3A's in his LP and thereby winning by a whopping 70 points. He seemed very happy and mentioned that Hanyu landed his 3As in his third year of Junior high, so he's getting closer to being his rival now. He also trains a quite big 4T, so hopefully he will be able to add that in next year.

An interesting fact about this championship is that Hanyu has won 3 times in a row from 2008-2010, Uno from 2011-2013, and now Yamamoto has won 2014,2015.

:eek: , amazing.

lady_bee

Medalist

Protocols of Lady's free program. Not only Wakaba Higuchi, the 2nd, but also Yuna Aoki, the 1st, is pretty impressive. She did 3Lz-3Lo and 3S-3Lo in FP.