2014 Rostelecom Cup Short Dance 11/14 | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2014 Rostelecom Cup Short Dance 11/14

adelia

Record Breaker
Video – a report also about the Short Dance – short interview with S&K and I&Z:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-dPY2aOCTA

Katsalapov & Sinitsina interview from 14th of November:
http://www.sports.ru/others/figure-skating/1024993143.html

Nikita: “I was shaky in Twizzles, but I saved them. There were mistakes of course. From technical side the program became “crumpled“. I take marks like deserved, it doesn’t have sense to argued with judges at first competition. We don’t know yet where to breath (take a break) and where to improve.“

---------------

I don't understand it too much, did they want to talk with judges about higher marks, but thanks to first appearance at competition they didn't???
I think he means, it doesn't make sense to criticize the judges/judging.

sisinka

Final Flight
I think you're being over critical of him. Skating with Victoria doesn't let him show how good he can be.

I think that the problem is that we have a comparison with I&Z. This is only one competive program by S&K and today we will get the second competive program. I expect good skating and thanks to a fact that S&K are together for more than half year only, they showed very good quality in SD (but yet not enought quality to get good levels and Components).

And I am sure that many people watched and compared S&K’s SD with I&Z’s SD from last week. And this comparison didn’t go to Zueva’s couple.
If you make a comparison:
…you will find that I&Z got better levels (but lower GOE which was a bit unfair).
…in Skating Skills – I&Z have deeper and more sure edges…
…in presentation – I&Z are passionate and they bring fire…S&K are not passionate and look pale in comparison with I&Z…
…Twizzles goes to I&Z – and the difference between them and S&K is big…
…lift is an element which both couples need to improve…
…I&Z‘s choreography thanks to Najarro shows Spanish style better…

Speed in SD is a question – thanks to different approach in choreography it is not easy to tell:
…look at S&K’s step Sequence – 4 times toe-steps (which helped them increase speed) with turn following …
…look at I&Z‘s Step Sequences – 2 times toe-steps (which helped them increase speed) with turn following…
…comparing Step Sequences both couples looks to have similar speed…
…Paso Doble Pattern – both couples look to have similar speed…
…Partial Step Sequence – not good for comparison because I&Z have stop there while S&K keep speed without any interruption…
…during transitions (there is not much space for this)…Vika makes many single turns on two foot…maybe it is only my feeling but while I have an opinion that Lena and Ruslan have choreo where every second they have something to do and they work with all – legs, arms, head, thorax…in case of Vika and Nikita I have a feeling that the best work of whole body is done only while staying on one place and in time when couple skates – there is Nikita doing some turn while Vika is keeping skating in arc and not moving…and then Vika is doing some turn while Nikita is skating in arc waiting for her…in Vika & Nikita‘s case I miss a feeling that the couple is dancing all the time…
…don’t forget Lena’s work with skirt – it is more difficult to skate with long skirt and work with it while skating…

Barb

Record Breaker
Madison and Evan dance is fine but she even overshadow to Evan too much.

Definitly the paso doble is not for Victoria and her posture is not the best. And why Nikita can´t to do good twizzles in competition? He always does it with so much energy like if he was super good doing twizzles. And in general, always is the woman who follows her partner to synchronized in the twizzles?, I had noted always the women are watching to lock on her partners.
Their FD looks more promising.

Elena and Ruslan very well, but I agree Elena with her super happy expression was awkward.

elif

Medalist
I don't like when coaches and dancer talks to ''media'' about judging, probably to pressure judges.:disapp: Doesn't matter If it is Zoueva or Kustarova or Scott Moir or some other skater or coach. Usually dancers are too classy for that but you can never know... I remember one time our good guy Scott Moir said something about program components scoring in GPF against Davis/White. He was probably right but it didn't leave good impression on most of skating fans. ''I will not criticize judges at first competition'' sentence leaves impression Katsalapov can or will criticize them in future. :popcorn::popcorn:

Last edited:

bramweld

Record Breaker
It will be very difficult to compare I/Z and S/K at this point. The reason being that Ruslena have very comparable technical and artistic abilities while S/K are almost polar opposites. They do look very good together but I think Nikita needs to bulk up more. He also needs time to mature as sometimes his dancing looks too soft, not masculine enough at least for this type of dance. But maybe this was just nerves from a first time outing.

S/K need more time to develop as a unit. Zueva would be well advised to not overwhelm them further with unnecessary self promotion. This team should work and work and talk less.

BlackPack

Medalist
Although Lena and Nikita were a great team.... I just hope they're not the best partners they've ever had for each other. I&Z and S&K just don't have the same IT factor IMO. I do think the strength of I&K was Lena. Nikita looks like he's having a nervous breakdown and his skating seems out of control.

If I hear another Marina team skating to Pepe Romero or clips of G&G's music I will go homicidal:bang:

What happened between G&G and Marina that makes this woman so unable to move on...:slink::think:

Last edited:

Barb

Record Breaker
Although Lena and Nikita were a great team.... I just hope they're not the best partners they've ever had for each other. I&Z and S&K just don't have the same IT factor IMO. I do think the strength of I&K was Lena. Nikita looks like he's having a nervous breakdown and his skating seems out of control.

If I hear another Marina team skating to Pepe Romero or clips of G&G's music I will go homicidal:bang:

What happened between G&G and Marina that makes this woman so unable to move on...:slink::think:

Who are G/G?

LauraV

On the Ice
Friends forever :agree:

My friend who was there during SD said that S/K were fastest yesterday. At least it seemed so live. And C/B were most synchro-perfect couple. Coomes/B were really shaky and jerky, and I/Z were over the top emotional during SD and seemed so happy after their SD. He even took a picture with them, and Evan Bates signed something for him. I'm so jealous OMG.

I'm very envious of your friend - there's nothing like being there! So much more fun.

BlackPack

Medalist
Oh, Gordeeva and Grinkov, I imagined maybe you were referring to them but I thought Marina is very young to have something to do with them. I guess she is not so young.

eta. I checked Marina in Wikipedia, she working with G/G explain so many things.

Marina was an ice dancer. She was Igor's contemporary. She was just launching her choreographer career, and G&G gave her a shot. She proved to be very talented. G&G and Marina spent copious amounts of time together according to fluff pieces.

Astrid56

Final Flight
Definitely not a contemporary of Igor. Igor's much younger than Marina by 8 years. He won the 1983 World Junior Figure Skating Championships with Tatiana Gladkova.

beabstress

On the Ice
Elena and Ruslan very well, but I agree Elena with her super happy expression was awkward.

If her expression remains the same in future competitions, that will need correcting, yes. But for THIS competition--going up against a former partner who had discarded her, feeling proud of herself for starting over, skating without major error--I think it was entirely appropriate. I get the sense that she's much happier now, and that Ruslan is kind to her (and is working hard to match her performance level). Can't wait to see how they do today!

sisinka

Final Flight
Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker:

Paso Doble Pattern Level 2 (only second Key Point counted):
…Key Point 1 – Kaitlin didn't fully extended her left free leg and Jean-Luc elevated his right leg after slide steps a little bit only, edges looked decent…
…Key Point 2 – nicely done…
…Key Point 3 – very light edge at the opening cross step by Jeam-Luc, the rest of steps looked OK…

Paso Doble Partial Step Sequence Level 2 (only second Key Point counted)::
…Key Point 1 – Kaitlin - visible better edges than in first Paso, but in opening slide step she put left leg to extended position without doing a slide with this leg…
…Key Point 2 – Jean-Luc – I would say that Right Forward Outside edge in Step 10 was not done, but Key Point was counted…
…Key Point 3 – edges looked OK, I have a feeling that Kaitlin bent her knee during swing movement, not sure whether is this OK…

Twizzles Level 3:
…one less rotation by Jean-Luc…small ice coverage…both went through toe-pick a little in one moment…
…for Level 4 the couple needed 4 rotations in both two Sets, but Jean-Luc executed 3 rotations in second Set only…so Level 3…

Step Sequence Level 1:
…this was not good…light edges, some edges completely missing, during One Foot Section Kaitlin touched the ice with free leg…

Nice lift except landing preparation from Kaitlin (I know she prepared her legs into exit position on the ice, but having legs in such position in the air didn't look elegant).

Overall this was very nervous and also technically quite shaky. Paso Doble pattern is on the better level then Step Sequences.

The couple is not ready for such mature and passionate and macho topic like Spanish dance style. The final part of the dance gets better a little bit. The couple tries to attack the program but it is still rather careful, mild and shy. They will feel much more comfortable in Waltz next year.