2014 Rostelecom Cup Short Dance 11/14 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2014 Rostelecom Cup Short Dance 11/14

Kittosuni

Medalist
Some bits from Sinicyna/Katsalapov FD (skip the first minute or so)
Somehow Nikita during the interview looked younger than he used too :)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y7HFdFX-ayg

I have to say they look good together. And I havent seen Vika this engaging to his partner. Im an I/Z fan but i guess i i will give the advantage to K/S. Actually I predict silver/ bronze for them. If I/Z wants to beat K/S it would be TES because PCS advantage will definitely go to K/S. Will see if the V/M formula will work on K/S

MarieM

On the Ice
We'll see if in a week Zueva has found a technical coach to fix her numbers. Or if she'll continue her drop in the judges standings as I predict it'll happen to her.

Alba

Record Breaker
We'll see if in a week Zueva has found a technical coach to fix her numbers. Or if she'll continue her drop in the judges standings as I predict it'll happen to her.

Not in Russia. She is much loved there.

uhh

Medalist
S/K look nice together, shame Victoria still doesn't seem to know what her knees are, yet alone how to use them.

flutz16

Match Penalty
S/K are the more promising pair, the vitriol against them is
the hate against them by some is the perception that Elena is the victim, which is totally not a one sided story.

uhh

Medalist

This is potentially the biggest story of the season. None of her teams have started well, is this because she's given all the attention and politiking to S/K, or because the ice dance world is done with her? She's been on top since 2008, really. I can't think of another coach who has been allowed to maintain their dominance like that - we talk about couples being dropped by the judges when it's decided that their time is up, but does the same thing happen with coaches? It would be nice to see the prefered style of dance evolving again like it did post-2006, and to see some new coaches and schools getting some favour from the judges.

Marina says S/K have a completly new lift that she is calling the Swan Princess.

noidont

Final Flight
It's difficult not to notice how stiff and large Vika is, and yes, Nikita does look a lot more obviously "good" than when he was with Elena so I guess it works for him. I wonder how you judge SS when one partner is so much better than the other.

elee63

Final Flight
I/K are both the dominant partner in their new pairs. I still am not really aware of what happened for the split, if someone could give a succinct summary, I would be so grateful. It's a real shame, Elena looks as if she is dragging her partner around on the ice in the COC programs.

Kittosuni

Medalist
I/K are both the dominant partner in their new pairs. I still am not really aware of what happened for the split, if someone could give a succinct summary, I would be so grateful. It's a real shame, Elena looks as if she is dragging her partner around on the ice in the COC programs.

Their program at COC definitely looks rushed and unpolished but I guess more competition on their belt and they will improve. Maybe I expected too much and emotionally invested on them but I have to be honest, they were OK, didnt blew me away like I was expecting. but i guess considering they are a new couple i think they did good.

MarieM

On the Ice
Not in Russia. She is much loved there.

By who ? Gorshov hates her. He'd rather back Igor and is pretty open about it.
All the pairs coach hates her, because of what she did to a much more respected coach at the time.
I still remember how Tarassova talked about her, no respect either.

Who loves her there ? Really ?
This is potentially the biggest story of the season. None of her teams have started well, is this because she's given all the attention and politiking to S/K, or because the ice dance world is done with her? She's been on top since 2008, really. I can't think of another coach who has been allowed to maintain their dominance like that - we talk about couples being dropped by the judges when it's decided that their time is up, but does the same thing happen with coaches? It would be nice to see the prefered style of dance evolving again like it did post-2006, and to see some new coaches and schools getting some favour from the judges.

Marina says S/K have a completly new lift that she is calling the Swan Princess.

Yes the same thing happens with coach. Ask Linitchuk or Dubova. 5 years is all they got, 5 years is all Marina will be allowed I hope. She doesn't bring anything to ice dance as has been proved by a 19 years old couple who was 13th at last year's worlds. And that's all it takes really.

MarieM

On the Ice
It's difficult not to notice how stiff and large Vika is, and yes, Nikita does look a lot more obviously "good" than when he was with Elena so I guess it works for him. I wonder how you judge SS when one partner is so much better than the other.

Ah yes, that bothered me. Why does she look huge and a tad fat next to him ? I mean Ruslan is shorter, but she didn't look that 'huge' with him.
And she doesn't have good basics, so stiff isn't the major problem in her skating :(

uhh

Medalist
Woe. I just don't want to look at Elena & Nikita dragging round partners that aren't worthy of them for the next four years when they could have been winning everything.:cry: :cry: It's such a waste of such talented skaters.

There was a quote earlier this week from Gorshkov saying not to expect too much from the new teams, results aren't important at this stage, and as he will have seen them both, I'm taking it to mean that it's most likely we'll see S/B as top Russians here, especially now that they've fixed the twizzles to get the levels.

flutz16

Match Penalty
Elena isn't a victim. Just the best female ID skater out there.
:rolleye:

who you keep calling, and its a fan perspective she is the best female ID out there.
its not a fact. her partnership with Zhiganshin has highlighted all her flaws and they cant even do difficult and proper lifts
in interview S/K will be doing some innovative lifts and their training pics/video they look promising too

uhh

Medalist
who you keep calling, and its a fan perspective she is the best female ID out there.
its not a fact. her partnership with Zhiganshin has highlighted all her flaws and they cant even do difficult and proper lifts
in interview S/K will be doing some innovative lifts and their training pics/video they look promising too

Every lift apart from 1 from I/Z at CoC was level 4, and the one that didn't get the level in the FD got it in the SD. The lift we saw from S/K was way more than 6 seconds, so maybe it will look nice but watch for the deductions. I'm not seeing what's "innovative" about using old D/W and V/M lifts. It's also very different to pull off lifts in competition instead of doing them in isolation in practice, so perhaps you should wait to see how they cope this weekend before shooting your mouth off.

Finally, please enlighten me what the flaws are that you see in Elena's skating? Just saying something exists doesn't make it so.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
There are 3 lifts in the FD (or 2 if a long lift is used), and one in the SD. Missing one is a big percentage problem in lifts. Plus not getting the level in the FD for an identical lift in the SD is more concerning, because attention may have been called to a basic problem after the SD was over.

But the real problem here is highlighted by the GOE's Elena and Ruslan got-quite a few zeroes and a couple -1's. And they got an extended lift penalty on two lifts, a sign that the lifts did not go as planned.

A top team will get all +2's and +3's for lift GOE's, so this lift deficit can add up to a lot of points.

Both teams are new; lift problems will become fewer as they gain experience.

Last edited:

uhh

Medalist
There are 3 lifts in the FD (or 2 if a long lift is used), and one in the SD. Missing one is a big percentage problem in lifts. Plus not getting the level in the FD for an identical lift in the SD is more concerning, because attention may have been called to a basic problem after the SD was over.

In general, perhaps, but for Elena & Ruslan you could see it was because he wobbled and didn't hold his difficult position for the required 3 seconds, when he had managed it in the SD. It looked more like nerves and fatigue than a fundamental problem with the set up of the lift. The point is they should they are absolutely capable of getting the levels. GOE will come with time as the new teams gel and build their reputation with the judges.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Since most senior teams can put together a group of level 4 lifts, I am sure this is true.

It is the low GOEs and whatever caused things to go bad in the second half of the program that is more likely to be a problem, at least for this season.

He may not be strong enough to do the job right now. With training, he will do better, I am sure.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Welcome back skyfly :laugh:

Go Gracie Gold!!! :yay:

Oh you know, call me a macho but I miss her. :popcorn:

Just watched S/K. Vika is stiff as hell. End of story.

Exectly my thoughts.

Woe. I just don't want to look at Elena & Nikita dragging round partners that aren't worthy of them for the next four years when they could have been winning everything.:cry: :cry: It's such a waste of such talented skaters.

There was a quote earlier this week from Gorshkov saying not to expect too much from the new teams, results aren't important at this stage, and as he will have seen them both, I'm taking it to mean that it's most likely we'll see S/B as top Russians here, especially now that they've fixed the twizzles to get the levels.

Here probably. But B/S will be #1 russian team at Worlds, I'm 100% sure of that. Rumour has it their new dances are really good. I only hope Dima will recover in time.

MarieM

On the Ice

It has nothing to do with fan perspective.
Elena's use of blades is to die for. I won't add that her lines and posture are the best nor that she can (when she wants) do any styles. She's a classic russian skater with basics to die for. I wonder why the others are not like her, but they are not. Their posture usually sucks, they can do a lot of ice true but that's nothing good to say about their edge control.
And I won't add her knee bend is probably the best of all ice dancers around. But she can't skate alone, can she?