130th Kentucky Derby this coming Saturday! | Golden Skate

130th Kentucky Derby this coming Saturday!

Johar

Medalist
I am getting so excited and can hardly believe it's almost here. Limehouse is my Derby horse but he needs to be close to the pace the whole way or he will get stuck in traffic. Not sure if he will be able to go the distance but his form is peaking at the right time.

Twenty horses are expected to enter.

Imperialisn, a gorgeous grey, is trained by a 21-year-old woman, Kristin Mulhall, the youngest trainer since the 1800s.

Pollards Vision is blind in one eye.

Smarty Jones is unbeaten in six starts.

bronxgirl

Medalist
This field seems to be so wide open this year. Imperialism has "sunken eye" which severely limits his peripheral vision. He used to freak when a horse came up and passed him on the outside. Kristin figured out which type of blinders for him, and he seems to be steadily improving since.

sk8ing_lady2001

Final Flight
The Kentucky Derby run should be a very exciting race-horse competition, like it is every year. Personally I am rooting for Imperialism. Poor Pollards Vision; I feel sorry for him being partially blind. :(

Johar

Medalist
Imperialism is 11(3-3-1) $74,605 lifetime. Most recent race was 3rd in the Santa Anita Derby. He did win the San Rafael over Lion Heart.

Some KY Derby prep races:

Count Fleet Stakes: Smarty Jones, Risky Trick, Mr. Spock

Santa Catalina: St. Averil, Lucky Pulpit, Master David

Holy Bull Stakes: Second Of June, Silver Wagon, Friend's Lake

San Vicente: Imperialism, Hosco, Consecrate

Sham Stakes: Master David, Borrego, Preachinatthebar

Sam F. Davis: Kaufy Mate, The Cliff's Edge, Zakocity

Fountain Of Youth: Read The Footnotes, Second of June

Hutchenson: Limehouse, Deputy Storm, Saratoga County

Southwest Stakes: Smarty Jones

San Rafael: Imperialism, Lion Heart

Louisiana Derby: Wimbledon, Borrego, Pollard's Vision

Florida Derby: Friend's Lake, Value Plus, The Cliff's Edge

San Felipe Stakes: Preachinatthebar

Tampa Bay Derby: Limehouse

Gotham: Saratoga County

Rebel: Smarty Jones, Purge, Pro Prado

Santa Anita Derby: Castledale, Imperialism, Rock Hard Ten

Illinois Derby: Pollard's Vision, Song of the Sword

Toyota Blue Grass: The Cliff's Edge, Lion Heart, Limehouse

Wood Memorial: Tapit, Master David, Eddington

Arkansas Derby: Smarty jones, Borrego, Pro Prado

Bay Shore: Forest Danger

Coolemore Lexington: Quinton's Gold Rush, Fire Slam

guinevere

Final Flight
Thanks for all the stats Johar!

I love the KY Derby, and the Triple Crown, even though I don't really keep up with racing the rest of the year anymore. The last few years have been so torturous for Triple crown watchers..........I keep thinking "This is gonna be the year" and then it's just...not. Is it now 27 years since the last Triple Crown winner?

This year I am not even sure who I am rooting for, although I am a sucker for a backstory like Imperialism's (also like grey horses :p ).

Woo-hoo!

guinevere

Johar

Medalist
I thought Real Quiet had it. he was winning the Belmont easily and I was screaming with joy....it was finally happening....then out of the courner of the screen came Victory Gallop. Nailed Real Quiet at the wire in a photo finish. Margin of winning was something like 2 inches. A nose.

Sunday Silence in 1989 was bred to go 1 1/2 miles, but floundered on Belmont's track surface. I always loved Sunday Silence...cheated death twice, was unwanted at sales, overlooked by prospective buyers. A true rags-to riches Cinderella story. Also became Japan's #1 sire after he was exported. Despite his credentials Hancock couldn't sell any shares to Sunday Silence. So Japan offered to buy him and off he went. Stayed there until he died and was a outstanding sire.

Funny Cide...only gelding to almost win the Triple Crown. He was good for the sports image. The underdog owned by working class men and not a corporation. Was never a big fan of his but respected him.

Silver Charm.....woo man...I cried after he lost the Belmont. He didn't see Touch Gold coming until it was too late.....So close.....

War Emblem......well, he tried. He seemed poised to take it all and then that longshot Sarava took it home. War Emblem floundered and finished way up the track.

guinevere

Final Flight
Johar said:
Funny Cide...only gelding to almost win the Triple Crown. He was good for the sports image. The underdog owned by working class men and not a corporation. Was never a big fan of his but respected him.
If Funny Cide had won, we would have gone down in the history books for so many reasons. We'd probably have a movie about him coming out this summer! :laugh:

I also loved Sunday Silence.

guinevere

Johar

Medalist
guinevere said:
I also loved Sunday Silence.

guinevere

Absolutely loved Sunday Silence and want to do a big web page in dedication to him. I want to use photos of him on there but have to have permission from photographers or risk getting sued.

bronxgirl

Medalist
What upsets me is when these marvelous creatures are retired to stud, and then find out that after they have served their purpose, they end up as dinner. I'm not trying to make judgements on what other cultures view as food, but for a horse as magnificent as a retired thoroughbred champion (e.g. Ferdinand) to not be able to live out his life in a comfortable retirement somehow seems unfair. :cry:

Johar

Medalist
"Old Friends" is an organization set up where these stallions are brought home (to the USA) to a farm in Kentucky and retired. Very nice organization. To daughters(or grand daughters) of ferdinand were the farm's first horses.

There's also Rerun and the United Pegasus Fund.

BTW, I got to see Ferdinand when I was in Kentucky. Beautiful stallion. Unfortunately, nobody in Japan even asked if somebody in the USA would want him back. Not picking on Japan, a country I like, but there was a complete lack of communication. Japan is scarce of space and doesn't have room for extra stallions. Exceller, then Ferdinand.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I know nothing about horseracing, but I'll be watching and keeping my fingers crossed for your horse, Johar.......42

Johar

Medalist
Thanks.

I still like Limehouse, want him to win but don't think he will. Win or lose I'll always like him.

Castledale is growing on me, maybe because his owner is cute, LOL.

Friend's Lake could pull it off. Has the ideal pedigree.

Would be happy if Smarty Jones won. He's undefeated as of now.

bronxgirl

Medalist
I have a soft spot in my heart for Imperialism and Pollard's Visiosn (Just a sucker for anyone that has to over come a physical challenge and still compete at elite levels). I also have a soft sport for Smarty Jones - gotta love a Pennsylvania bred! And of course, Friends Lake and Read the Footnotes (GO NEW YORK BREDS!). what can I say - I may be a lousy handicapper, but am a softie about horses. I remember Carry Back (way back when) and since then- I love the underdog (or underhorse) and love to see them beat those "blue bloods'. (Hmm, I also love Secretariat - though what's not to love about perfection, blue blood or not!) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Johar

Medalist
The field, in post-position order, with (sire), jockey, trainer, and morning-line odds:

1. Limehouse (Grand Slam), Jose Santos, Todd Pletcher; 30-to-1;

2. Song of the Sword (Unbridled’s Song), Norberto Arroyo Jr., Jennifer Pedersen; 30-to-1;

3. Lion Heart (Tale of the Cat), Mike Smith, Patrick Biancone 10-to-1;

4. Action This Day (Kris S.), David Flores, Richard Mandella, 30-to-1;

5. Wimbledon--SCRATCHED;

6. Friends Lake (A.P. Indy), Richard Migliore, John Kimmel, 15-to-1;

7. Minister Eric (Old Trieste), Pat Day, Richard Mandella, 30-to-1;

8. Master David (Grand Slam), Alex Solis, Bobby Frankel, 12-to-1;

9. St Averil--SCRATCHED

10. Imperialism (Langfuhr), Kent Desormeaux, Kristin Mulhall 15-to-1;

11. The Cliff’s Edge (Gulch), Shane Sellers, Nick Zito 4-to-1;

12. Borrego (El Prado [Ire]), Victor Espinoza, Beau Greely 20-to-1;

13. Birdstone (Grindstone), Edgar Prado, Nick Zito 50-to-1;

14. Read the Footnotes (Smoke Glacken), Robby Albarado, Richard Violette 12-to-1;

15. Smarty Jones (Elusive Quality), Stewart Elliott, John Servis, 9-to-2;

16. Castledale (Ire) (Peintre Celebre), Jose Valdivia Jr., Jeff Mullins 15-to-1;

17. Pollard’s Vision (Carson City), John Velazquez, Todd Pletcher, 20-to-1;

18. Tapit (Pulpit), Ramon Dominguez, Michael Dickinson, 8-to-1;

19. Pro Prado (El Prado [Ire]), John McKee, Bob Holthus, 30-to-1; and

20. Quintons Gold Rush (Wild Rush), Corey Nakatani, Steve Asmussen, 20-to-1.

Johar

Medalist
bronxgirl said:
What upsets me is when these marvelous creatures are retired to stud, and then find out that after they have served their purpose, they end up as dinner. I'm not trying to make judgements on what other cultures view as food, but for a horse as magnificent as a retired thoroughbred champion (e.g. Ferdinand) to not be able to live out his life in a comfortable retirement somehow seems unfair. :cry:

Here's the URL for Old Friends:
http://www.oldfriendsequine.org/

Johar

Medalist
Man, I made a post about it, actually two, and neither showed up!

1. Smarty Jones
2. Lion Heart
3. Imperialism
4. Limehouse

Johar

Medalist
Complete Order of Finish:

1. Smarty Jones
2. Lion Heart
3. Imperialism
4. Limehouse
5. The Cliff's Edge
6. Action This Day
7. Read the Footnotes
8. Birdstone
9. Tapit
10. Borrego
11. Song of the Sword
12. Master David
13. Pro Prado
14. Castledale
15. Friends Lake
16. Minister Eric
17. Pollard's Vision
18. Quintons Gold Rush

Oh, shucks. My horse (Pollard's Vision) was next to last. Oh well, he ran strong for the first part of the race. He was even in second place for a while!

Mathman

Johar

Medalist
Undefeated horses after the Derby:

2004 -- Smarty Jones
1977 -- Seattle Slew
1969 -- Majestic Prince
1922 -- Morvich
1915 -- Regret