2015 Central Ontario Sectionals Question | Golden Skate

2015 Central Ontario Sectionals Question

martipellow2

Rinkside
Hi there. I notice that Alexandra Najarro withdrew from the Ladies after the SP at the Sectionals. Does this mean her season is over? On Twitter she said that setbacks are blessings in disguise. Does anyone know if she has been injured? She's one of my favourite skaters.

Skate97

Rinkside
Yes, I believe Najarro's season is finished. There are more than 4 Sr Ladies in her section and Najarro hasn't had any international assignment to give her a bye, so she would have had to compete at Sectionals to advance to Challenge.

martipellow2

Rinkside
Yes, I believe Najarro's season is finished. There are more than 4 Sr Ladies in her section and Najarro hasn't had any international assignment to give her a bye, so she would have had to compete at Sectionals to advance to Challenge.

Thanks for letting me know. It must be devastating for her. I wonder why she withdrew after the SP? Maybe she is injured? You'd think she would try to tough it out just to qualify for Challenge. Oh well, she had a good run, two top 5 Canadian finishes and sixth last year.

cjmorton29

Rinkside
I don't have any official information, and don't know the exact rules, but I have seen in the past skaters miss their sectionals and qualify through at the Challenge. It seems to me that the Sectional championships are less of a determinant than in the States, for example. I'm not entirely sure if there is a screening process to get to the Challenge, as typically there are dozens and dozens of entries, especially in Senior Women.

nadster

Final Flight
I don't have any official information, and don't know the exact rules, but I have seen in the past skaters miss their sectionals and qualify through at the Challenge. It seems to me that the Sectional championships are less of a determinant than in the States, for example. I'm not entirely sure if there is a screening process to get to the Challenge, as typically there are dozens and dozens of entries, especially in Senior Women.

A skater can skip sectionals if they got a JGP . senior B or senior GP assignment. Those with senior GP assignments or qualify for JGPF have byes to nationals.

If there are fewer than 5 competitors ( 9 in Quebec ) all those skaters can compete at sectionals ( provided they met minimum TES standards in a competition that took place on or after October 20 , 2012.

Yes there are minimum TES standards for the challenge this year in singles and dance events ( junior and senior ). They can meet this standard in any competition since October 20 ,2012

The standards and wild cards info ( see below ) can be found here

https://info.skatecanada.ca/hc/en-ca/articles/202404464-2014-2015-Procedures-for-filling-challenge-entries-updated-October-29-2014-

WILD CARDS

A new rule is that unused slots whether due to lack of entries for the section or lack of skaters who met the TES standards can be filled by skaters from bigger sections who missed the cut at sectionals ( but made the TES standards ).

It is a pity that Najarro could not complete the sectional competition as she probably would have been a wild card entry even she failed to make top 4 in the section.

martipellow2

Rinkside
Najarro did win the Octoberfest competition a few weeks ago and her technical elements mark in the LP was 44.82, total score 90.78. Does that mean in theory she has enough to qualify for the Challenge? I know it seems unlikely as, if she withdrew from the LP in Sectionals, she must be injured. But it'd be nice to know, as a fan, that her season wouldn't end here. I'm sure a skater wouldn't withdraw from an LP just because they had a bad SP and couldn't be bothered to do the LP.

Skate97

Rinkside
Octoberfest is simply a club competition and has nothing to do with qualifying for Nationals. Unless skaters have an international assignment which gives them a bye, they must skate at Sectionals to advance to Challenge. Since Najarro withdrew from Sectionals, she has no chance of advancing.

martipellow2

Rinkside
Octoberfest is simply a club competition and has nothing to do with qualifying for Nationals. Unless skaters have an international assignment which gives them a bye, they must skate at Sectionals to advance to Challenge. Since Najarro withdrew from Sectionals, she has no chance of advancing.

Thanks for letting me know.

nadster

Final Flight
The wild cards can only use their sectional scores to meet the TES requirements. The skaters who finish top 4 ( top 8 in Quebec ) at sectionals can use any competition from October 20, 2012 to meet the TES requirement.