2014 Rostelecom Cup Men's Short Program 11/14 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2014 Rostelecom Cup Men's Short Program 11/14

Meoima

Match Penalty
I'm rooting for Javi too and exactly for that reason, even though I like at least 4 other skaters there more (not that there's anything wrong with Javier, just not my cup of tea). All the others can make it to the final some other year when it's not in Spain! ;)
Yes, this year it means so much for Javi. I hope he can make it! Go go Javi!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm rooting for Javi too and exactly for that reason, even though I like at least 4 other skaters there more (not that there's anything wrong with Javier, just not my cup of tea). All the others can make it to the final some other year when it's not in Spain! ;)

I'm not looking forward to the men's GPF, especially now that it looks like Hanyu will be out of contention. You lot thought Russians in Russia were bad, I can only imagine the push to have the first GPF champion held in Spain to be Spanish...

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I'm not looking forward to the men's GPF, especially now that it looks like Hanyu will be out of contention. You lot thought Russians in Russia were bad, I can only imagine the push to have the first GPF champion held in Spain to be Spanish...

I wouldn't say yet that Hanyu is out. Maybe he will heal before NHK, but it will be hard anyway to be in form as he can't train.

TMC

Record Breaker

Well that will at least make it easier for us to pick our fantasy teams :laugh:

Debrah

On the Ice
I totally agree that Jeremy Ten is an interesting, very musical skater who happens to have 2 awesome programs this season! If we are very lucky, a happy, healthy, Jeremy Ten may show up with a brand new quad combo and consistent working 3axels, and be in control of his nerves and then simply amaze and surprise everyone! I have my fingers crossed for him to finally put things together and show the world just how talented he is! I really hope the judges will reward him properly if he does skate well...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The Men's Short Program is scheduled for 11:00 am Eastern Time November 14

Schedule including projected start time for each team will be here:
http://www.isuresults.com/results/gprus2014/gprus2014_Men_SP_TimeSchedule.pdf ...

The time schedule for each skater now has been published:

ISU GP Rostelecom Cup 2014
TIME SCHEDULE
(Local Time, GMT +03:00)​
MEN SHORT PROGRAM
Friday, 14 November, 2014

19:00:00 - 19:07:00 Warm-up Group 1
19:07:30 - 19:14:00 1 Moris KVITELASHVILI RUS
19:14:00 - 19:20:30 2 Jeremy TEN CAN
19:20:30 - 19:27:00 3 Stephen CARRIERE USA
19:27:00 - 19:33:30 4 Ivan RIGHINI ITA
19:33:30 - 19:40:00 5 Artur GACHINSKI RUS
19:40:00 - 19:46:30 6 Misha GE UZB​

19:46:30 - 19:53:30 Warm-up Group 2
19:54:00 - 20:00:30 7 Takahiko KOZUKA JPN
20:00:30 - 20:07:00 8 Sergei VORONOV RUS
20:07:00 - 20:13:30 9 Jason BROWN USA
20:13:30 - 20:20:00 10 Michal BREZINA CZE
20:20:00 - 20:26:30 11 Max AARON USA
20:26:30 - 20:33:00 12 Javier FERNANDEZ ESP​

Resurfacing: 00:15:00 Warm-up: 00:06:00 Duration of Skating: 00:02:50 Judging First: 00:03:10 Judging Last: 00:03:10 Introduction: 00:01:00

Printed: 13.11.2014 12:06:50​

Thank you to Doris :bow: as always for the "one-stop shopping" OP with all the informative links.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
You shall see me stumble in just after three in the morning, a yawning, sleepy ghost...and then I shall vanish as quickly as I came, when the last skater's score appears...

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
You shall see me stumble in just after three in the morning, a yawning, sleepy ghost...and then I shall vanish as quickly as I came, when the last skater's score appears...

you should just get your phone to cooperate and then you can lay in bed and watch it.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
you should just get your phone to cooperate and then you can lay in bed and watch it.

Then I would fall asleep during the early skaters again :laugh:

I can't lie down and watch figure skating. I discovered this during the Olympics when I dozed my way through the middle sections of the men's LP.

Besides, at least tomorrow is Saturday, and the day after is Sunday, so I have time to catch up the sleep.

pitterpatter

On the Ice
Rooting for all these men! Hoping Ten, Gachinski, Brezina, Fernandez and Kozuka give us a good showing, and that Carriere and Ge keep it up and do well again :)

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker

:laugh::thumbsup:

Rooting for all these men! Hoping Ten, Gachinski, Brezina, Fernandez and Kozuka give us a good showing, and that Carriere and Ge keep it up and do well again :)

I just hope everyone does well, no more :scratch: skates or accidents..

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
If Gachinski can't podium here, he might as well kiss his career goodbye. I am ready for some major home inflation for Russian skaters, but I have always preferred Voronov to him.

I wonder what condition is Javier in, he is so unpredictable, but if he is able to bring half of the energy he did his last SP outing to his long this time round, he should win. Hoping for a good outing for Stephen Carriere. Cheering for US underdogs with better programs instead of Federation supported Brown and Aaron. Hoping for Misha making another splash and surprise us all! He has gone all serious this year to showcase a maturer side, but I want to see that crazy "what the heck was that" gala again!

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If Gachinski can't podium here, he might as well kiss his career goodbye. I am ready for some major home inflation for Russian skaters, but I have always preferred Voronov to him.

I disagree on all counts of this statement: first, this is not exactly what anyone with sense would call a soft field: Fernandez and Kozuka, the two strongest Americans so far this season one of whom can beat him on the second mark and the other who can beat him on the first, Brezina, Voronov, Jeremy Ten...this is not the field I would have chosen if I had to choose!

Second, that it takes more than a few months to "fix" a skater, particularly one with deep psychological problems, so I don't think this is his last chance. If he was still with Mishin, I might be more inclined to agree, but Tarasova has considerable political clout, so I think she'll hold on for him.

And last - I am still rather resentful that Voronov got away scot-free from any blame for the Nice Disaster, while Artur got torn apart by anyone and everyone. That wasn't fair. I've got a soft spot for Voronov, but it still rankles.

firal

Record Breaker
Perfect time for me to catch the live stream! But...looks like CBC is not streaming the short this time around! :bang: I'm in Canada and that's what I usually use...anyone has another link? I have checked the webstream thread but those are for subscribers only right?

Hoping that Kozuka will have a better time than at SC; apparently he was fighting an injury so crossing my fingers!

peg

Medalist
Perfect time for me to catch the live stream! But...looks like CBC is not streaming the short this time around! :bang: I'm in Canada and that's what I usually use...anyone has another link? I have checked the webstream thread but those are for subscribers only right?

Hoping that Kozuka will have a better time than at SC; apparently he was fighting an injury so crossing my fingers!
One of the Russian feeds usually works for me. The CBC feed was unwatchable for me - it kept freeezing.

Added bonus: my Russian comprehension is improving :laugh:

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker

I wonder what condition is Javier in, he is so unpredictable, but if he is able to bring half of the energy he did his last SP outing to his long this time round, he should win. Hoping for a good outing for Stephen Carriere. Cheering for US underdogs with better programs instead of Federation supported Brown and Aaron. Hoping for Misha making another splash and surprise us all! He has gone all serious this year to showcase a maturer side, but I want to see that crazy "what the heck was that" gala again!

This field is insane! It would be amazing if Gachinski medaled. He is rebuilding.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Despite being one of the more pessimistic Artur fans around here (as evidenced by my posts in his Fan Fest), saying "he must medal at CoR or his career is over!!" is over-the-top. I think, more important than placements, he should deliver a solid program. He needs to show more commitment to his jumps and his performance than he showed in SA.

That being said, if he has a meltdown, is his career over? Well, no. There's still nationals. And if he skates badly there... Well, depends on your definition of "career." I think he can still get GP assignments/competition opportunities for the foreseeable future.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I disagree on all counts of this statement: first, this is not exactly what anyone with sense would call a soft field: Fernandez and Kozuka, the two strongest Americans so far this season one of whom can beat him on the second mark and the other who can beat him on the first, Brezina, Voronov, Jeremy Ten...this is not the field I would have chosen if I had to choose!

Second, that it takes more than a few months to "fix" a skater, particularly one with deep psychological problems, so I don't think this is his last chance. If he was still with Mishin, I might be more inclined to agree, but Tarasova has considerable political clout, so I think she'll hold on for him.

And last - I am still rather resentful that Voronov got away scot-free from any blame for the Nice Disaster, while Artur got torn apart by anyone and everyone. That wasn't fair. I've got a soft spot for Voronov, but it still rankles.

Ooops looks I touched a nerve with the 'career is over' comment. I simply means he will have a long shot to succeed for a World podium finish in the future if he is not able to take full home advantages with the most powerful woman in Russia Figure skating here. He can sit around for years as a Fumie of Russia all he likes and call it a 'career', but that is not exactly an ideal career for a young formal World Bronze medalist.

Voronov doesn't have Tat, he doesn't have over hype, he doesn't have a WC bronze medal around his neck with something to proof. I'd be curious how much federation support he'd be getting here.

Here there are no Hanyu, Abbott, Mashida, Mura, Denis Ten, Kovtun, Amodio, Menshov around. A podium finish is 'within' reason should the judges want to gift him like last time. I actually dont't think Brown will do as well as many people think they might... his style is not really to Russian's taste, and it is the perfect event to limit his PCS for Russia skating interest (In real life, his PCS should be higher than Kovtun, but I'd curious if he will even break 80 here in his LP.)

Tat on the other hand IS Russia figure skating. If she can't fix him a a GP podium IN Russia, what other hope is there for him? Tell me. How much more time/season/reason would you give him? What other greater advantages out of all events in the world than a GP/GPF/WC at home with the most powerful Russian femme overlord by his side? Besides, if you angered Tat and she give up on you, do you really think you will still have a bright future in the sport with pull of the federations? Just look at Mirai's career.

In any case, I have seen him live twice (and once with Veronov), both times were underwhelmed (I find his style is more posturing than real skating skill with very limiting reading into Music/choreography. Presentation wise, he has hardly matured from a few years before). He is similar to Kozuka at this point (who I'd rank way above him) in their career, both had a few years of almost haves but never quite happened. They are also performers with limited expression/music range, and ironically both were medalist at WC Moscow 2011, something of a gift, and apparently he proved over the next couple years ... it WAS. If you can not deliver with 2 of the best and most powerful Russian world class coaches in the world for years - skating in Russia.... tell me what bright future is there for him?

I'd rank him below Amodio, Misha Ge and all of the Americans and Russians at this point. On the other hand, he can always switch to Morozov, who can package him with full on Russian angst with something orchestrally heavy and blasting, War horses or Transformer/Intersteller OST with deliberate jerky dramatic movements and brain pounding soundtracks to drawn out the obvious lack of lyricism and finesse in his skating and make it all about the quad.. oh but wait! How's his quad these days.

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I'd rather see Artur earn 4th or 5th place or so by merit rather than have a medal "fixed" for him. I think TAT knows his issues aren't going to go away overnight.

The past couple seasons, I have preferred Sergei to him, but...he's barely 21. I have watched some of Sergei's older programs from around that age, and they weren't pretty. Anyone in their early 20s still has the potential to improve. I won't consider Artur "done" until he gives up. While I understand some of the criticism about his skating, he's still got a lot more going for him than that other Artur (Dmitriev Jr.)

Last edited: