What's the worst thing about living where you do? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What's the worst thing about living where you do?

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
PrincessLeppard said:
There are no fabulously sexy, hot European male figure skaters currently living in Omaha, Nebraska. :cry:

Oh, yeah, and the winters are cold and the summers are humid. But I could live with that if the aforementioned men were here. :D

Laura :)

But I'm here!

Dee

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Aloft04 said:
Bald eagles carried my dear old tomcat off....deer eat my roses.

we have that same problem... only switch deer to moose and roses to shrubs LOL

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Greetings from the whine country!

I should probably preface this by saying that I do realize how blessed I am to live in Northern CA - if it wasn't such a great place to live, we wouldn't be so (expletive deleted) crowded and the cost of living would be lower, right?
Having said that, I have to drive nearly 500 miles a week to get to and from the job that pays me enough to pay rent where I live. Last time I checked, regular unleaded was about $2.20 a gallon. Traffic is so bad that sometimes it takes two hours to drive 44 miles...and if you're driving through Marin County the right of way seems to be determined by the value of your car. This would be fine if I owned a BMW, sadly, I do not.
And that's just 'A' for "automotive"!
Rave - wait, no, I guess today I'm "Rant".

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I love Boston. I probably own more books on Boston history and architecture than most book stores. I think this is a spectacular time for Boston, with many neiborhoods finally getting back to their old charm and energy (South End is done, East End is coming, and I have hopes for Dorchester). And I am so proud of my state really going out on the limb with Gay Marriages and other social issues. But:
  • Weather... What can I say... It's freezing in Winter and hot & humid in summer. OTOH, we have the most beautiful autumn (or we can drive up to New Hampshire, where Indian Summer is just the most gorgeous thing you've ever seen); and the spring in the city is breath-taking, with the tender dogwood against the backdrop of brick row houses.
  • Politics. OK, OK, so I am as liberal as the next Bostonian (voted Green both in last Presidential and last Gubernatorial elections). What irks me about Boston politics, though, is that it's one big insider club. The districting is such that Republicans don't have a realistic chance of ever making any gains in Congress. Do I want Republicans in Legislature? No. But when one party runs unopposed, it's not exactly good for democracy. Hey, if we can't get GOP, may be we can have a few Green senators?
  • It's not New York. Sure, we have our share of theaters and galleries. But when I really want to see something that's "on the edge" artistically, especially from the international scene, I have to drive 4 hours to NYC. OTOH, it's only 4 hours.
  • Everyone is just so darn serious. When I go to California, or even to NY, I am immediately struck by how much more easy-going people are.
  • Mayor Menino. The guy would be a great mayor of a small city, but of Boston?! He can't make up his mind which side to take on any issue! Ever!
  • Segregation. I realize this is a problem in many US cities, but it pains me to see such segregation in 2004.
  • Bars have to close at 2 a.m., and in too many city neighborhoods eveything has to close by 12. To his credit, our upright and uptight Menino did try to fight this.
I think that's enough. The rest of the list would just be too political. Too much spending here, not enough spending there, etc. Overall, though, I think Boston is one of two places in this country I could see myself living in (the second one being San Francisco). Hmmm, is it a quincident that those are the two cities where real estate prices jumped the highest over 90's?

Ximena

Final Flight
There is no such thing as figure skating, but we have great weather all year long!

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
Ptichka said:
I love Boston. I probably own more books on Boston history and architecture than most book stores. I think this is a spectacular time for Boston, with many neiborhoods finally getting back to their old charm and energy (South End is done, East End is coming, and I have hopes for Dorchester). And I am so proud of my state really going out on the limb with Gay Marriages and other social issues.

I live 40 miles west of Boston. I don't mind New England weather at all! I love being close to the ocean and within reasonable driving distances to so many area attractions (NY, Berkshires, Cape Cod, NH, etc)

If I had to choose what I don't like, I'd have to say:

"The Big Dig"

Granted, we MA-weary folks are starting to see brief glimmers of light at the end of the tunnel with regards to the seemingly never-ending construction in and around the city. But it's been a drag!

Housing Prices:

Seriously, I see some dumps that people have the audacity to list at over 200,000! I rent and know that I will NEVER be able to afford a house!

Routes 128 and 93!

(Locals will understand what I mean by this!)

Rixis

On the Ice
Everything is so far away, you know, very boonies-esque. The friend who lives closest to me is about 30 minutes away. It snowed today, so if you don't like the snow, then it's really bad. Personally, I'd like to be somewhere more metropolitan..but I'm not complaining. It's not like I am in Dakkar

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Dee4707 said:
But I'm here!

Dee

But you know you'd like Omaha better if we had some hot skaters.....:laugh:

Realistic, I'm displaced, too. But I've been in worse places than Omaha....I used to live in Montgomery, Alabama.....:eek:

(on the other hand, I've also lived in Europe, and miss it terribly...)

Laura :)

wvgal57

On the Ice
The worst thing about where I live now is that I'm 7 hours away from any of my own family.

Otherwise, Eastern Tenn is perfect, the winter isn't too harsh, the summers are hot but only a few unbearable days, spring is fantastic and fall is gorgeous. I have water at the back of my property if I want to use the lake, a pond at the front if I want to fish, we are 30 minutes from 2 very large towns - Knoxville and Chattanooga which have a host of anything you want to do, see or eat! Local shopping centers within 20 minutes on good two lane, non congested roads.

My animals are happy and I have good neighbors.

Lucy25

Final Flight
The worst things about living in suburban Detroit are the winter weather (black ice pops out of no where) and the traffic. Oh, and the local news is always full of "bad stuff".

Other than that, I love it here. Close by museums, theater, more shopping than I can handle, all the Michigan sports arenas, and beautiful weather for three of the four seasons.

Lynn226

On the Ice
Silver Lining said:
Canada's worst serial killer lived a few blocks from me. :eek:

There goes the neighborhood! Who was this person and how many people were killed?

Piel, many of the things you mentioned are also true of my birthplace (Ashland, KY). I do miss the low cost of living, but I have grown accostumed to the amentities that larger cities offer.

I now live in the Kansas City Metro Area. There have been several murders in the past week. Also, the interstate and major highways were not well planned and this causes major traffic congestion. Also, Missouri is out in the middle of nowhere.

Lynn226

On the Ice
Grgranny said:
"The middle of nowhere". Have you ever been to western Kansas or Nebr.?

Now that you put it that way . . . I think it feels like the middle of nowhere to me because all of the places I like to go for vacation are far away. Also, I'm quite far from my family.

RoaringMice

On the Ice
I live an hour outside NYC. The bad things:

1) Far from my "home" and family, who are near Boston and in Florida

2) Most of my friends have moved away, or are moving

3) Too big, too spread out, too expensive, too much traffic, too much smog, too close to NJ

4) Too far from the city, no convenient train line, too far from the ocean

5) No good restaurants

The good things:

1) A great house we can afford, nice yard, nice neighbors

2) Nice mountains nearby, lots of scenery, really lovely location

3) 1/2 hour commute to work

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Something I really don't like about anywhere not near the coast is finding seafood fit to eat. I really miss good seafood.

SkateCynic

Rinkside
I've lived in two cities - born and raised in Atlanta, moved to Seattle in 2001, and moved back to Atlanta in 2003.

Seattle - has some of the most beautiful summers and scenery I've ever been blessed to see, but the winters are excrutiatingly dreary and grey, the traffic is a living nightmare, and any town that wants to add a 10 cent tax to every cup of "designer" coffee (lattes, espressos, cappucinos, etc.) sold in coffeehouses and espresso stands (of which there are many; can't spit without hitting one in the city limits) gets a thumbs-down in my book.

Atlanta - The pollen. This season's high count so far was 5,356, but the all time record was 6,018 a few years ago (high is considered anything above 200, I think). If you suffer from allergies, Atlanta is a miserable place in March and April. The other drawback about living here isn't so much anything about Atlanta itself, but the misconception that we're all a bunch of backwards hicks, that we still hold a grudge about the Civil War, and that the city is riddled with racists and bigots. Atlanta is one of, if not the most, progressive and international city in the South. It's about time it gets the respect and kudos it deserves.

mpal2

Final Flight
SkateCynic said:
Atlanta - The pollen. This season's high count so far was 5,356, but the all time record was 6,018 a few years ago (high is considered anything above 200, I think). If you suffer from allergies, Atlanta is a miserable place in March and April. The other drawback about living here isn't so much anything about Atlanta itself, but the misconception that we're all a bunch of backwards hicks, that we still hold a grudge about the Civil War, and that the city is riddled with racists and bigots. Atlanta is one of, if not the most, progressive and international city in the South. It's about time it gets the respect and kudos it deserves.

I have respect for Atlanta, but take all of the misconceptions about Atlanta and apply them to Chattanooga and you'll be close to the truth. Chattanooga should be ashamed to call itself a city. They are just now getting rid of the blue laws (effective in May). Soon stores will be able to open on Sunday morning and stay open after 6 pm.

Johar

Medalist
I live in an Indiana town of 7,000.

1. Lack of any kind of public transportation. If you don't have a car, don't drive or lack someone kind enough to drive you places you are out of luck. There isn't even a sidewalk to the grocery. No taxis or bus lines within 30 miles of our town.

2. Lack of any nice restaurants. If a restaurant doesn't sell breaded tenderloin or chicken strips it won't last. All the food around here is mostly deep fried or battered. The other is Pizza Hut, McDonalds, Burger King and Arbys. We don't have a single restaurants that even offers steak, broiler fish or seafood on the menu.

3. No coffee shops that sell lattes, etc. We don't have a single coffee shop in this town.

4. Our YMCA doesn't have an indoor pool and no plans on getting one. It is also 5 miles out in the country with no sidewalks to walk there. The highway is too unsafe to walk on and there are deep ditches on either side. Not safe for a pedestrian or biker at all. So you have to have a car to get to the YMCA. The morons who planned the YMCA didn't consider that.

5. No biking trails or greenways.

6. No available quality guys to date. Most people in this hell hole are married by age 23. I don't know of any single guys to even ask out. I'm 35 so people either think I'm a lesbian or I have something really wrong with me because I'm not married.

7. Have to drive 1 1/2 hours to get to any airport.