Xiaoyu Yu & Yang Jin | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Xiaoyu Yu & Yang Jin

s_parks

Record Breaker
I found a slightly older news clip of the three teams practicing the quad: http://t.co/0alhobIv9q

There was an icenetwork article mentioning that they stopped when she hit her head, thankfully. Now that growing pains are out of the way and they're getting their throw triples consistent again, I really wonder if by 2022 or something they'll have it. I certainly hope they'll surprise me. It's weird to me to think that they're young enough to go for 2026 if they're up to it. Really praying for as little injuries as possible.

I wonder if they're upgrading their side by side jumps? They were great with them last season, no pops at all and only one fall - miraculous for a Chinese team, but they really need another triple. I saw her going through the motions of a 3sal in some video or another. Hope they have success with that if they're putting it in.

I was thinking about the sbs jumps too. A lot of people praised them for their consistency on them compared to the other chinese pairs, but they had a 2a-2a seq. and a 3t, whereas sui/han were already doing 3t-2t-2t and 3s for a few seasons now(even with the questionable success rate),, so I remained skeptical. I saw that Jin mentioned Yu was already able to do two types of triples when they paired up(the same article you mentioned, I think), so I believe they can indeed do a 3sal. At any rate, I'm mostly impressed by the technique the Chinese are teaching not just because of the height/length of the throws and twists, but how they can get the pairs to sustain that quality with such little height difference. Han is tiny for a pairs man and they have amazing pairs elements. Jin is taller/bigger, but he and Yu don't actually have much height difference either and they have lovely elements as well.

veneresplende

Rinkside
Hmm, yeah, I wonder if they'll do 3T-2T-2T when they put the 3S in. I believe in her jumping ability a bit more than the others haha. I think P/Z are upgrading to a 3S as well since the double axel is really not working.

The height difference thing is interesting. Neither Shen/Zhao or Pang/Tong have much height difference either - about the same as Y/J - but of course their pair elements were/are amazing. Passing down that incredible technique:clap:

s_parks

Record Breaker
Hmm, yeah, I wonder if they'll do 3T-2T-2T when they put the 3S in. I believe in her jumping ability a bit more than the others haha. I think P/Z are upgrading to a 3S as well since the double axel is really not working.

The height difference thing is interesting. Neither Shen/Zhao or Pang/Tong have much height difference either - about the same as Y/J - but of course their pair elements were/are amazing. Passing down that incredible technique:clap:
They may do a 3t-2t if they're being a bit cautious, or 3t-2t-2t if they're feeling a bit more confident. I agree, Yu nevertheless does seem more stable in her jumps.

Yep! I'm sure some of the skaters in other countries would love to know about that technique. Such a shame about some of the splits due to height difference. (I mean, the zhangs only stopped because zhang dan was huge for a pairs girl- 5' 7'' I think?)

veneresplende

Rinkside
They may do a 3t-2t if they're being a bit cautious, or 3t-2t-2t if they're feeling a bit more confident. I agree, Yu nevertheless does seem more stable in her jumps.

Yep! I'm sure some of the skaters in other countries would love to know about that technique. Such a shame about some of the splits due to height difference. (I mean, the zhangs only stopped because zhang dan was huge for a pairs girl- 5' 7'' I think?)

Yeah, 169 cm I think, so basically 5' 7". He was getting injured a lot so it makes sense. Glad to see Zhang Dan conducting interviews and doing segments on CCTV Sports! I hope they're still on good terms with each other.

Personally, I don't mind Y/J's lack of substantial height difference. Obviously it doesn't interfere with their elements, and I think it's part of their appeal - such long, lovely matching lines.

Yeah, the CSA rarely lets foreigners come in to work with their pairs skaters right? They usually fly them out to work with them in Canada or wherever instead. I guess they've got to keep the technique under wraps.

Actually, there was a Chinese article talking about Pang/Tong's return to the national team as coaches, but for singles skaters right now, which is great, but I wonder why they won't let them work with the pairs. They would be a really valuable asset. Not that I don't think Zhao Hongbo is doing a great job right now because he certainly is. Maybe special help for Y/J and W/W? I feel more and more like the CSA isn't treating them right in relation to their success; not taking them to Canada with the others for training and choreo, relegating them to second tier status on the national team while Song Nan is still first tier etc etc. Of course, this might all just be in my head:laugh:

Last edited:

s_parks

Record Breaker
Yeah, 169 cm I think, so basically 5' 7". He was getting injured a lot so it makes sense. Glad to see Zhang Dan conducting interviews and doing segments on CCTV Sports! I hope they're still on good terms with each other.

Personally, I don't mind Y/J's lack of substantial height difference. Obviously it doesn't interfere with their elements, and I think it's part of their appeal - such long, lovely matching lines.

Yeah, the CSA rarely lets foreigners come in to work with their pairs skaters right? They usually fly them out to work with them in Canada or wherever instead. I guess they've got to keep the technique under wraps.

Actually, there was a Chinese article talking about Pang/Tong's return to the national team as coaches, but for singles skaters right now, which is great, but I wonder why they won't let them work with the pairs. They would be a really valuable asset. Not that I don't think Zhao Hongbo is doing a great job right now because he certainly is. Maybe special help for Y/J and W/W? I feel more and more like the CSA isn't treating them right in relation to their success; not taking them to Canada with the others for training and choreo, relegating them to second tier status on the national team while Song Nan is still first tier etc etc. Of course, this might all just be in my head:laugh:

Oh, no I the lack of height difference isn't even a question- Yu has gorgeous long limbs and they make beautiful lines, all the while having solid elements. I find them more beautiful to watch than one and a half pairs (not generalizing, though).

And yes, the zhangs are still on good terms I believe. :) I know lots of people aren't fans of her skating, but I do admire her ability to do the hard elements, like that beautiful quad (at the national games?), and the 2a-3t. It's great to hear she's involved in tv!

I think it's better that P/T is working with singles- pairs is pretty much in good shape, and it would be great for the singles skaters to learn from P/T. Actually, I wish they'd work with the junior pairs. Luan Bo's throw/twist technique is fine(S/H and Y/J were already great at them since they were juniors), of course, but she doesn't teach good basics or great technique on other elements. I think P/T could help these junior skaters a lot especially in terms of that second score, since the new pairs seem to be quite young and won't move to the senior coaches for a while.

veneresplende

Rinkside
Oh, no I the lack of height difference isn't even a question- Yu has gorgeous long limbs and they make beautiful lines, all the while having solid elements. I find them more beautiful to watch than one and a half pairs (not generalizing, though).

And yes, the zhangs are still on good terms I believe. :) I know lots of people aren't fans of her skating, but I do admire her ability to do the hard elements, like that beautiful quad (at the national games?), and the 2a-3t. It's great to hear she's involved in tv!

I think it's better that P/T is working with singles- pairs is pretty much in good shape, and it would be great for the singles skaters to learn from P/T. Actually, I wish they'd work with the junior pairs. Luan Bo's throw/twist technique is fine(S/H and Y/J were already great at them since they were juniors), of course, but she doesn't teach good basics or great technique on other elements. I think P/T could help these junior skaters a lot especially in terms of that second score, since the new pairs seem to be quite young and won't move to the senior coaches for a while.

Ah, that's really good to hear. Yeah, there's really no other Chinese pair girl that's been able to match Zhang Dan's jumping prowess. Incredible technical stuff, they did. I hope she gets to do features with the pairs on the national team, that would be fantastic!

Yeah, working with the junior pairs would be ideal in my eyes too but then they'd have to move back up to Harbin after staying in Beijing for so long. There was something like 6 or 7 new pairs formed? That's quite the stable. Still, glad to see they're going to coach.

Zhao Hongbo is holding an open class in two days. We'll finally get to see everyone!

Last edited:

s_parks

Record Breaker
Ah, that's really good to hear. Yeah, there's really no other Chinese pair girl that's been able to match Zhang Dan's jumping prowess. Incredible technical stuff, they did. I hope she gets to do features with the pairs on the national team, that would be fantastic!

Yeah, working with the junior pairs would be ideal in my eyes too but then they'd have to move back up to Harbin after staying in Beijing for so long. There was something like 6 or 7 new pairs formed? That's quite the stable. Still, glad to see they're going to coach.

Zhao Hongbo is holding an open class in two days. We'll finally get to see everyone!

Yeah, the location difference would be the problem. And yes, I believe they have around that number. Only two of the teams made their debut, which means the rest are probably not age eligible, including Sui/Yang whom I have my eyes on(I cautiously predict that they will be the next big team in China after Y/J and S/H).

I didn't know that Zhao Hongbo is holding an open class! Who does this include? The junior pairs in addition to the senior regulars(p/z, s/h, y/j, w/w)?

Last edited:

veneresplende

Rinkside
Yeah, the location difference would be the problem. And yes, I believe they have around that number. Only two of the teams made their debut, which means the rest are probably not age eligible, including Sui/Yang whom I have my eyes on(I cautiously predict that they will be the next big team in China after Y/J and S/H).

I didn't know that Zhao Hongbo is holding an open class! Who does this include? The junior pairs in addition to the senior regulars(p/z, s/h, y/j, w/w)?

They're so little but already have that quad twist. To be honest, I haven't watched much of them yet, but I do hope they'll make a splash on the JGP next year. It is next year right? When she'll be eligible?

It doesn't say, but I would only count on the senior regulars being there. I remember last year each team ran through their long programs. They're all due to compete domestically in like a few weeks or so? I could be totally wrong about that. I don't know if the junior pairs have returned to Harbin or not. I'll definitely link some pictures if any come out, which they should.

Last edited:

s_parks

Record Breaker
They're so little but already have that quad twist. To be honest, I haven't watched much of them yet, but I do hope they'll make a splash on the JGP next year. It is next year right? When she'll be eligible?

It doesn't say, but I would only count on the senior regulars being there. I remember last year each team ran through their long programs. They're all due to compete domestically in like a few weeks or so? I could be totally wrong about that. I don't know if the junior pairs have returned to Harbin or not. I'll definitely link some pictures if any come out, which they should.

Ah, thank you. I can't wait to see the programs in full. I'd prefer y/j have new programs, but I think last season's can definitely be improved upon, especially the short. And yes, I believe Sui (I'll have to start calling her by her first name when the team hits the junior scene ;) ) will be age eligible next season. They looked so promising in that last domestic competition last season, I hope they're consistent competitors.

veneresplende

Rinkside
Ah, thank you. I can't wait to see the programs in full. I'd prefer y/j have new programs, but I think last season's can definitely be improved upon, especially the short. And yes, I believe Sui (I'll have to start calling her by her first name when the team hits the junior scene ;) ) will be age eligible next season. They looked so promising in that last domestic competition last season, I hope they're consistent competitors.

Oh yeah, and they'd have to kind of re-arrange the program since they have to do a pair spin instead of sbs spins, or else there probably won't be enough time to get the levels. Aww, I hope they don't get rid of that little piece of choreography after the throw, that's one of my favorite parts :eek:hwell:

Can't wait to just see them all (hopefully)!

veneresplende

Rinkside
Uploaded their FS from the Chinese National Grand Prix. I'd somehow forgotten that they would be switching to a revised junior layout since, you know, they're competing in juniors for some reason. Scored 47.70 TES + 59.20 PCS = 106.90

Yu/Jin FS

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Uploaded their FS from the Chinese National Grand Prix. I'd somehow forgotten that they would be switching to a revised junior layout since, you know, they're competing in juniors for some reason. Scored 47.70 TES + 59.20 PCS = 106.90

Yu/Jin FS

Love this program soooo much, tears tears:cry: I love their cross-over into death-spiral, although it is not those fancy entries, but they did is so finely and together with the music and they look at each other..... cant wait to watch details of this program in future comp.

Great Fancam double thumbs up :agree::agree:

s_parks

Record Breaker

Yu/Jin FS

Thank you so much :) I can't wait for their new elements.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
^^ I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE this program from xiaoyu Yu and yang Jin. One of my fav programs ever. Everything about it , the music, the color, the dress, the temperament, the skaters.... just perfect!
I with they can skate this program to perfection this season:eek:::love:

BTW, I like the first fancam, it feels more like watching it live in the rink. Just beautiful!

Last edited:

veneresplende

Rinkside
Thank you so much :) I can't wait for their new elements.

Can't wait to see them too! Apparently I was mistaken, someone said that they did indeed do the throw triple flip at the open test skates instead of the sal. I guess in the training videos they were practicing the junior version of the program for this competition here.

I like their new transition into the twist a lot.

Last edited:

ahkeekee

Medalist
Hi everyone!! I am a fan of Yu Jin for a while, but I didn't notice there's a fan fest for them here! How careless of me! I absolutely love this pair, I have heard criticisms from others saying that they're not artistic etc. but I absolutely think they're wonderful to watch! (and full of potentials!) They are jumping side by side jumps consistently and their other technical elements are wonderful when done right! I love both their free program and their short program, they're special and beautiful!

Spiral

Final Flight
This isn't a new article, but since there aren't that many English articles written about them I thought I would translate one. This is an interview from Cup of China last year.

http://fyeahchinesepairs.tumblr.com/post/130907810862/comments-from-yujin-about-injuries-and

Thank you very much for the translation! There was indeed very little about them in European press, despite their extremely impressive debut in seniors last year. I was impressed by their openness in this interview - I think not many pair and dance skater would talk about conflicts between them with reporters - and by his gentlemanly attitude towards her when they have disagreements.

I'm also surprised some people find them not artistic enough. I very much enjoyed their skating last year, and although I think it's a pity they won't be getting new programs this season, I hope they'll do well regardless.