Anyone want to start a GS Book club? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Anyone want to start a GS Book club?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Bi-Monthly and different hosts would work for me... depending on if the library can get the book in time... :-/

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Toni, Does your library do ereader books?

In a pinch, you can borrow from the library and read on your phone with the Overdrive app.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
they do ereader - but I can't read a book on my phone... sets my brain into massive migraine mode :no:

Alba

Record Breaker
I don't know about skating books. We all talk so much about skating here, that to talk also on the book club for me it's too much.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
That's why I think having a different host would be beneficial. The host would be the one responsible to choose the book and lead the discussion.

So just based on the feedback, every other month seems ideal for most. I think that gives plenty of time for people to read the required book.

Let me think a little more about how to play this out and I'll get back to everyone.

desertskates

Medalist
I'm totally in. I've always got my nose in a book. I think bi-monthly sounds like the best idea, I'll be excited to start!

Just a thought for topics--is anyone interested in travel stories? Maybe we can find books about the places that major competitions will be happening in? Like Spain for the GPF or Beijing for Worlds for example.

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
Wow you are disciplined. I barely can read one book every other month.

I've been trying to read 100 books a year for like the past 3 years. This year I might finally do it... I'm up to 87... but whether I can stay motivated over the holidays is a whole different question...

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My goodness! That's a LOT of books! I read about 1 book a week give or take on the length (and if it's a page turner) :)

LRK

Record Breaker
I've been trying to read 100 books a year for like the past 3 years. This year I might finally do it... I'm up to 87... but whether I can stay motivated over the holidays is a whole different question...

I used to do that, but it's been a while. I don't think I'll be able to do it this year either - I'm just up to 60. I've got the time to read, but the focus is often difficult for me. (I'm glad my younger self had no idea this was how I'd turn out, or she'd be ashamed of me! Current me has just... given up... sad sigh... )

zamboni step

Final Flight

That sounds like fun! I'll probably try to do that next year when I don't have insane amounts of exams waving evilly at me.

louisa05

Final Flight

I've been trying to do that forever, too. Best year I've had is 2007 when I hit 80. I just made 50 this week, so I won't even get close to that this year.

I started writing down what I read in 2005 after picking up the same bad book from the library more than once too often.

LRK

Record Breaker
I started to write down the books I'd read sometime in the '80s... But I write down everything I read, so this includes re-reads. But it's fun to be able to go back and see what I read when. :) (And, yes, alas, to check if I've read a book or not - because I can't remember. I actually managed to re-read an Agatha Christie without having any idea it was a re-read - and then I was looking through my copy-book in search of another book - and what was my mortification to see the Christie book there! I had no recollection of it at all... :eek:: )

louisa05

Final Flight
I started to write down the books I'd read sometime in the '80s... But I write down everything I read, so this includes re-reads. But it's fun to be able to go back and see what I read when. :) (And, yes, alas, to check if I've read a book or not - because I can't remember. I actually managed to re-read an Agatha Christie without having any idea it was a re-read - and then I was looking through my copy-book in search of another book - and what was my mortification to see the Christie book there! I had no recollection of it at all... :eek:: )

I note re-reads but do not count them in my yearly total. My husband thinks I am insanely weird for keeping the book list. I am glad to know I'm not the only one! LOL!!

As to a GS Book Club--I'd be in if I could get the book. My budget to buy is tiny, so if it is low priced or available through my library...otherwise, I probably can't. So I'm in, but I'll probably come and go depending on accessibility.