Anyone want to start a GS Book club? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Anyone want to start a GS Book club?

louisa05

Final Flight
Should we have thread with book nominations then a vote to choose the first one???

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So, what's happened to the proposed Book Club? Are you all on your 3rd or 4th book by now? Is it an Invitation-only thread? Can a newbie like me join? I lead book discussions professionally, love to read and especially, to have opportunities to talk about the books I've read with like-minded people.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
So far no one put their foot down and took ownership. And said OK, this month's book is..who's In?

I wish they did?

zamboni step

Final Flight
So far no one put their foot down and took ownership. And said OK, this month's book is..who's In?

I wish they did?

Because I was finishing second level education (blech), I've been unable to post. During that time this thread has haunted me, and I'd like to suggest the first book! A book I've been meaning to read for a while is "The Color Purple". Whilst it is quite heavy in terms of the topics that are covered, I thought it'd be interesting to start with something that has an obvious path to an open discussion in regards to theme/issue. Any objections?

TMC

Record Breaker
Because I was finishing second level education (blech), I've been unable to post. During that time this thread has haunted me, and I'd like to suggest the first book! A book I've been meaning to read for a while is "The Color Purple". Whilst it is quite heavy in terms of the topics that are covered, I thought it'd be interesting to start with something that has an obvious path to an open discussion in regards to theme/issue. Any objections?

I'm in! If I can find it somewhere to download as an ebook?

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I'm in as well! Great! I'd like to speak for also discussing the narrative voice. Are you going to set a date to begin the discussion? I have 3 book discussions in October, so maybe 2d week of November would be good as far as I'm concerned. But I'll go with whatever is decided. Just my 2 cents.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm in for The Color Purple. I haven't read it since high school, so I'll have fresh eyes!

zamboni step

Final Flight
Great, this should be fun, I'm reading a piece of text (novel, essay, etc.) every day as part of my course, so this should fit in well with that.

I'm in as well! Great! I'd like to speak for also discussing the narrative voice. Are you going to set a date to begin the discussion? I have 3 book discussions in October, so maybe 2d week of November would be good as far as I'm concerned. But I'll go with whatever is decided. Just my 2 cents.

I'd love to discuss the narrative, and maybe the author in general? I find her coining the term "Womanism" very interesting, and it's probably an important insight into many contemporary problems. Obviously, we'd have to make sure to remain respectful of each other's opinions during these discussions.

As for the date November 2nd is fine by me, anyone else have any objections to that?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
How do we do this? Do we start reading Nov. 2 and do X chapters, and start discussing when?

What should be the process?

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How do we do this? Do we start reading Nov. 2 and do X chapters, and start discussing when?

Actually I mentioned the 2d week of November, not Nov. 2. That said, I like Doris' plan, start Nov. 2, decide on how many chapters, choose a start date for discussion. :)

TMC

Record Breaker
Actually I mentioned the 2d week of November, not Nov. 2. That said, I like Doris' plan, start Nov. 2, decide on how many chapters, choose a start date for discussion. :)

I like this plan :)

zamboni step

Final Flight

I like this idea, maybe if we read a quarter of the book a week and discussed it at the end of each week? And then spend a fifth week discussing the book as a whole, and themes. This way people who can't be online as regularly have time to discuss too. I'm proposing such an awkward way of measuring the book each week (quarters), because from what I gather, this book doesn't have chapters, only entries of varying sizes, so trying to measure it according to that and still be done by the end of the month could be tricky. Correct me if I'm wrong/you have a better method, as this one is obviously quite messy.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
If you read it as a Kindle ebook, you can easily see when you have read 25% of the book. ;)

I borrowed it as an e-book yesterday.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd love to join in if I can. I'm off tomorrow and will try and gauge my ability to participate based on what if any time I can make for reading. I'm really hoping to be a part of this :yes:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm thinking about requesting a few days off of work for this adventure. Hey Doris...can you write me a letter excising my absence?