Rika Hongo | Page 23 | Golden Skate

Rika Hongo

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
*sniff* I didn't really feel her program but this was another hurtful punishment, I'm not sure she deserved. It's almost like with Kanako last week. *sigh*

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I must confess I am deeply suspicious of the tech calls. Rewatching the video, some of the UR's are clear to me, but others are not at all.

1. Chris Howarth on British Eurosport was commentating, live. He is an active coach, very experienced and knowledgable, very tech savvy. He is extremely good at spotting jumps which are under-rotated or questionable, and he usually calls them during his commentary. Yet he was silent throughout Rika's free skate, and both commentators were quite positive about Rika's performance afterwards. Chris only called one of the jumps, during the replays. It is very unusual for him to miss even a slight UR, never mind a UR serious enough to result in a downgrade. He usually calls edge violations and unclear edges too, but again he didn't see it on Rika's Lutz.

2. The scores took an age to come up. Which usually means the tech panel are spending a long time reviewing elements. It took so long that - apart from the slow hand clap from the crowd - the Eurosport team actually began complaining about it. Why did it take so long? It suggests that the calls were borderline or unclear, and/or the tech panel were arguing among themselves. Bear in mind - if a call is in doubt, they are supposed to give the decision in the skaters favour.

And only level 2 steps?!

Well. Whatever. I hope Rika is not disheartened, and takes this as a learning experience. Work on those jumps, don't give the tech panel any doubt about rotation...! :-/

Last edited:

yhmafan

Medalist
Technical panel utterly destroyed Rika's FS score ;_;

Was it really that bad?

Poor Rika :no:

Sounds like they started to treat all Japanese ladies (including Satoko) like Mao. Poor girls….Their hard working will be hard to pay off even more. :hopelessness:
Seriously, Japanese ladies (and some Asian ladies) need some love by judges. At least they need to be massive home cooked to keep the sport fairly since imo some Japanese ladies seemed tend to be judged more strictly at their home rinks for some unknown reason. (Sorry but I wouldn’t say these if they are/were treated equally.)

Now the time than ever that JSF really needs to do some works for them :dev3: Otherwise I sense the sport will continue to decline especially in Japan (after Mao and Yuzuru retired. )

Last edited:

mikeko666

Final Flight
I must confess I am deeply suspicious of the tech calls. Rewatching the video, some of the UR's are clear to me, but others are not at all.

1. Chris Howarth on British Eurosport was commentating, live. He is an active coach, very experienced and knowledgable, very tech savvy. He is extremely good at spotting jumps which are under-rotated or questionable, and he usually calls them during his commentary. Yet he was silent throughout Rika's free skate, and both commentators were quite positive about Rika's performance afterwards. Chris only called one of the jumps, during the replays. It is very unusual for him to miss even a slight UR, never mind a UR serious enough to result in a downgrade. He usually calls edge violations and unclear edges too, but again he didn't see it on Rika's Lutz.

2. The scores took an age to come up. Which usually means the tech panel are spending a long time reviewing elements. It took so long that - apart from the slow hand clap from the crowd - the Eurosport team actually began complaining about it. Why did it take so long? It suggests that the calls were borderline or unclear, and/or the tech panel were arguing among themselves. Bear in mind - if a call is in doubt, they are supposed to give the decision in the skaters favour.

And only level 2 steps?!

Well. Whatever. I hope Rika is not disheartened, and takes this as a learning experience. Work on those jumps, don't give the tech panel any doubt about rotation...! :-/

Thanks for letting us know the British Eurosport commentary. I found a video in YouTube.
https://youtu.be/93_e6J8sl84

Chris said that 2A+3T looked good, but the tech pane gave it <.

This competition reminds me of 2012 Skate Canada, in which Akiko lost to Kaetlyn and many people were unhappy about it. But this is a lot worse.

emmiele

Rinkside
Poor Rika. Hope she doesn't get discouraged. Hope she comes back stronger at her next competition and show the judges they shouldn't underestimate her.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I got so much enjoyment out of watching Rika today :cheer: Hopefully she can perform just as well in the free skate!

emmiele

Rinkside
Hope so too. She may not be the most elegant skater but I really enjoy her programs. It's too bad her FS this year wasn't as well received but am excited to see Riverdance again. It's one of my go to programs for re-watching.

Plumededragon

Medalist
If she really doesn't feel at ease with the FS, I suppose she can try and go back to Riverdance. I love her Riverdance. I haven't enjoyed a single one since Shae-Lynn and Victor's, and that was a long time ago. :love:

mikaboo

Medalist
Here’s a video of Rika talking about her decision to go back to Riverdance.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x55rv2z_one-2-復活のリバーダンス_sport

Translation of just the part she and the narrator talk about the change (from around 6:30):
She decided to go back at the end of November, a month before Nationals.
She says that she didn’t have enough time to make Lawrence of Arabia her own.
With Riverdance, she’s able to express herself in a way that she wants to and the expression comes more naturally to her.
But doing Lawrence of Arabia wasn’t a waste. She learned a lot from it because the movements are big and different from Riverdance so she is now able to incorporate those movements into Riverdance.

I wonder if she’ll get a new dress. She already had at least 3 last season but maybe 1 month isn't enough time to make one.
Good luck to Rika this weekend! I hope she can make at least one of the teams in the latter half of the season.

sallycinnamon

Medalist
I loved everything about her Riverdance program, I think that program perfectly suits her. She really expressed herself in a very natural way while doing her long programs last season. Therefore I am really happy that she decided to go back to Riverdance. At the same time it's good that she learned a lot from Lawrence of Arabia as well.
I hope her costume will be the one she wore at CoR and CoC last season.
I can't wait to cheer for her at Nationals! Go Rika!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She did a great job with Riverdance and really got the crowd involved with it at Worlds. When I saw her at Skate Canada, you could just tell she didn't have quite the right comfort level with Lawrence of Arabia. But I wonder if that means she'll never use L. of A. again, or is she just dropping it now. Whatever the case, I hope she does well at Nationals! Good luck Rika!

Rissa

Record Breaker
I'm happy that she's going back to Riverdance for purely selfish reasons: I like it better than Lawrence and if there's a sliver of chance of Rika making it to Worlds, I'd love to see her with Riverdance at Worlds.

I loved Quidam as well, but I like Carmina Burana too.

I think there won't be a skater I will cheer as hard for at Nationals as Rika. All my other favorites are almost guaranteed to make it onto the Worlds teams but Rika will need extra support. I'm so nervous for her, and I want to see her at Worlds so bad.

Break a skate, Rika!