2014 Trophée Eric Bompard Short Dance 11/21 | Golden Skate

2014 Trophée Eric Bompard Short Dance 11/21

Florencito

Medalist
Love this field. No big names (yet), but many good couples. Actually, IMHO all the most interesting programs of the season will be skated here :laugh:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Very weak field tbh. But I guess it will make this competition entertaining, since three teams are really going to fight for the 1st place. My bet is on P/C of course, but with some mistakes I can see H/D and G/P actually challenging them.
And Hub/Don will have to fight for at least second place if they want to qualify for GPF.

viennaskater

Medalist
I cannot say it is weak, simply because the presence of Papadakis/Cizeron and Gilles/Poirier ALONE make it a must-watch. And from what I have seen so far of Hurtado/Diaz, they look to me like a couple with something different to offer. I am actually glad there are no Russian teams this time - their programs all tend to look too similar and don't engage me.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I cannot say it is weak, simply because the presence of Papadakis/Cizeron and Gilles/Poirier ALONE make it a must-watch. And from what I have seen so far of Hurtado/Diaz, they look to me like a couple with something different to offer. I am actually glad there are no Russian teams this time - their programs all tend to look too similar and don't engage me.

Ziggy once said to me that the lower ranked teams will often be more interesting and more innovative because they have to do something to catch the judging panel's attention. I think there's something to that. Hubbell and Donohue's program was a bit of a mishmash in its first outing, but I give them major props for incorporating contemporary dance vocabulary like hiphop into the often staid world of ice dancing. Similarly, I'm very disappointed with Gilles and Poirier's FD this year--it's so ordinary to me--but I guess ordinary is what the judges seem to be looking for. Well at least the overwrought angstpangst posturing as "passion" will be kept to a minimum in the FD. So that's something.

Oh yes, the SD. P/C may wrap up the event by the end of it. Not a great group on the whole of PDs. Hurtado and Diaz have one of the best--and certainly one of the most authentic--PDs this year, but they get no love from the judges. C'est la vie and all that jazz...

Last edited:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
A question: when did Cappellini & Lanottte withdraw? Is there an injury?

No info so far. I hope it's not injury related withdrawal. Some people think they are afraid to lose P/C second time in a row, or they're changing their programs because they're not satisfied with them. But AFAIK nothing official wasn't announced yet. Just speculations.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I certainly do not know why Anna&Luca withdrew.

But I want to see Sara and Adria's SD again. It is my favorite of this season :cheer:

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Oh gosh, this event reminds me of the ladies event last week!

Hoping for Kim/Minov to have another good skate here :)

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
No info so far. I hope it's not injury related withdrawal. Some people think they are afraid to loose P/C second time in a row, or they're changing their programs because they're not satisfied with them. But AFAIK nothing official wasn't announced yet. Just speculations.

If it isn't related to a injury, it is so bizarre for the reigning World Champions to withdraw. Their programs needed work but they weren't horrible. I thought their free dance has a chance to be very good.

Alba

Record Breaker
If it isn't related to a injury, it is so bizarre for the reigning World Champions to withdraw. Their programs needed work but they weren't horrible. I thought their free dance has a chance to be very good.

No It's not injury. The FED made a statement about it. They are going to modify things on the FD based on the feedback they received from the judges, therefore they need time.
I think they need to work both on their SD and FD. I don't like their SD at all.

I agree with you about their FD. I like it and it has potential to be a very good program indeed.

Hurtado and Diaz have one of the best--and certainly one of the most authentic--PDs this year, but they get no love from the judges. C'est la vie and all that jazz...

I love Hurtado&Diaz but their scores are not judges fault, or lack of love towards them.
They're coming back from an injury and they are in poor form and it shows. Plus, they never peaked early.

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
No It's not injury. The FED made a statement about it. They are going to modify things on the FD based on the feedback they received from the judges, therefore they need time.
I think they need to work both on their SD and FD. I don't like their SD at all.

I agree with you about their FD. I like it and it has potential to be a very good program indeed.

I love Hurtado&Diaz but their scores are not judges fault, or lack of love towards them.
They're coming back from an injury and they are in poor form and it shows. Plus, they never peaked early.

But even things like Choreography and Interpretation, they're not getting the scores. I can understand the TES and SS hurting, but I really think they're undermarked on the things they DO do well. YMMV of course. I'm an Unabashed Fan, so I'm not entirely objective. :)

And I like C/L's FD as well. I think their PD is a mess though.

Alba

Record Breaker
But even things like Choreography and Interpretation, they're not getting the scores. I can understand the TES and SS hurting, but I really think they're undermarked on the things they DO do well. YMMV of course. I'm an Unabashed Fan, so I'm not entirely objective. :)

Ah ok. I agree with you on that.
You know how it works in that aspect, in all disciplines. :rolleye:
Of course it doesn't help that they are Spanish. If I remember this right they are the first spanish dance team, like ever?
But they will get there, I'm sure of it. They are so talented and their programs are always original and beautiful.

slider11

Medalist
Very excited to see the Canadians and French. And who knows with some of the newbies. Maybe like P/C someone will emerge as an up and comer. Sorry, not excited about H/D.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Ah ok. I agree with you on that.
You know how it works in that aspect, in all disciplines. :rolleye:
Of course it doesn't help that they are Spanish. If I remember this right they are the first spanish dance team, like ever?
But they will get there, I'm sure of it. They are so talented and their programs are always original and beautiful.

Dubreuil and Lauzon are rightly making a name for themselves. I often think the Shibs should join their stable. I'd love to see how they'd choreograph for them.

PCS is now the equivalent of a Package Tour From Hell. Continental breakfast NOT included.

Alba

Record Breaker
Dubreuil and Lauzon are rightly making a name for themselves. I often think the Shibs should join their stable. I'd love to see how they'd choreograph for them. .

True. I like their canadian young couple P&X? Never paid attention before but they're a delight to watch with their FD.
I don't know what's going on with the Shibs. I gave up on them changing coach. :disapp:
I suppose they know better though.

PCS is now the equivalent of a Package Tour From Hell. Continental breakfast NOT included

:laugh2:

Eurosport Ita said that couples are having difficulties this year understanding what the judges want even on the tech.
Because the difference in judging from one competition to another is quite big, and they're getting confused. :rolleye:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Dubreuil and Lauzon are rightly making a name for themselves. I often think the Shibs should join their stable. I'd love to see how they'd choreograph for them.

PCS is now the equivalent of a Package Tour From Hell. Continental breakfast NOT included.

I wouldn't. D&L seem to be producing very nice A Man & His Woman programs, a genre that will not do for the Shibs at all.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Hmm, well my second choice would be Platov, who certainly can do non-romantic programs. I just like D/L's choreographic style and think it would suit the Shibs. Of course they'd have to think outside the A Man & His Woman program box, but it could be a good challenge for them.