2014 Trophée Eric Bompard Pairs SP 11/21 | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2014 Trophée Eric Bompard Pairs SP 11/21

MalAssada

Medalist
Sui/Han are very good too, especially her. Just not the same level. Perhaps also because they look a bit small. I liked the Americans too.

Alba! Off you go to the Ladies' thread, we want your opinions regarding Yulia :biggrin: Was that you who gave her the stuffed animal with striped shirt?

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Wow, Sui/Han! :cheer: :clap: So much character from both of them--just love the move when she's leaning back and they're both jamming out to the music. When I watch them I don't think of "competition"--I just enjoy. That twist from nowhere, the height of that throw! Is this my new favourite pairs team? (Yes, yes it is!)

That being said... the hatred for S/K and "Russians" confuses me. It's not like Sui/Han skated perfectly and were placed behind S/K who wiped the ice with their behinds on every element. If I'd just read the comments and didn't see the skates, I'd think S/K were a nightmare. But they were also great: powerful, nice lines, good elements. Program didn't feel "whole" the way Sui/Han's did (ending in footwork? Lots of places where they didn't acknowledge the music at all?) and their PCS were over the top. But it's because they're Russian? No, it's because S/K are World and Olympic medallists. Sui/Han just haven't lit it up on the big stage yet. The scores were no worse than those for Duhamel/Radford at Skate Canada, who are actually a less successful team than S/K.

As to S/K's costumes - that's a different story: it's a TOTAL DISASTER. I'd wager to say almost any Chinese person would think the same. I don't care where they got the inspiration - it's OFFENSIVE to slap a Mortal Kombat logo onto a futuristic costume for Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, a traditional Chinese kungfu theme. Either skate to video game music or keep it authentic.
I'm afraid you lost the wager. It's not the greatest costume in the world, but I wouldn't call it total disaster or offensive. I don't expect authenticity in figure skating costumes, for any culture. In fact, I kinda like her costume upon a second viewing. His was, well, no good... but I've seen so much worse.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Just watched the British version video of S/H skate and got cracked up with the K&C remark that Hongbo Zhao just sat here majestically nodding his head. :laugh:

MarieM

On the Ice
I think I'll fall in love with Stolbova and Klimov if they continue to skate like that. What an amazing program. And their elements !

oleada

Record Breaker
S/K have some of the best - if not he best - basics in pairs right now. Their speed and flow is amazing, as is their unison. S/H, while lovely, don't have the same speed and run of edge that the Russians have. They naturally scored higher in the twost and throw but S/K outscore them everywhere else.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
S/K have some of the best - if not he best - basics in pairs right now. Their speed and flow is amazing, as is their unison. S/H, while lovely, don't have the same speed and run of edge that the Russians have. They naturally scored higher in the twost and throw but S/K outscore them everywhere else.

I would have marked S and K about two more points higher than Sui and Han - really good pairs skating imho. Great flow, confidence, polish and ease like V and T.

Mao88

Record Breaker
PAIRS SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT - updated

1. Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV (RUS) - 71.20 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy, 5th Copy
2. Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN (CHN) - 67.27 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy, 5th Copy
3. Xuehan WANG / Lei WANG (CHN) - 63.25 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
4. Alexa SCIMECA / Chris KNIERIM (USA) - 59.04 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
5. Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES (FRA) - 54.20 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
6. Nicole DELLA MONICA / Matteo GUARISE (ITA) - 53.34 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
7. Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Michael MARINARO (CAN) - 51.07 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
8. Miriam ZIEGLER / Severin KIEFER (AUT) - 50.01 Short Program, 2nd Copy

Ilvskating

Final Flight
I really love Wang/Wang! Great program. I'm a big fan since first time seeing them skating Singing in the Rain. I loved Kurt's program so much that I though nobody else would do it justice but they did such a great job with it I fell in love with them. Now this is another one that I love, so romantic with solid elements weaved seamlessly into the choreography. They have beautiful lines and great chemistry. If they can keep skating consistently I expect to see great things from them. Good luck!

For S/K, I like their confidence on the ice and their basic skating skills. For the other PCS elements I don't think they were better than S/H in this performance. No, I don't like the costumes, so weird. I guess they'd better do something with them if that was for 2015 World being in Shanghai, could backfired.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
S/K are very strong in their spins and jumps. A few seasons ago, even with their troubled throw or lift elements, I thought this pair got two great single skaters. That was when Ksenia looked about two size more than she is now. Talking about anorexia/weight control of skaters, people tend to speculate those skinny looking girls, but not a women lost 10 lb in a season.

For some reason, they are perfectly in sync in their jumps and spins, but when they do transitions and steps, they are skating on their own.

thoakun

Final Flight
How long have Wang/Wang been working together? They have wondeful chemistry and connection with each other and I don't even know that they're 10 years apart. I also like S/H's sassy attitude and big throw, great transitions in and out of the tricks but they seem to get more subdued lately.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Alba! Off you go to the Ladies' thread, we want your opinions regarding Yulia :biggrin: Was that you who gave her the stuffed animal with striped shirt?

Check Yulia's fan fest thread :) And it was not her who gave her that present. She'll give her present to Yulia today, hopefully *fingers crossed* :)

xabia

On the Ice
Just a wee reminder that Eurosport's coverage of the Trophée Éric Bompard will start in about 10 minutes with the Pairs Short.

Just be warned, British Eurosport 2 is NOT showing any LIVE skating today. Instead, it is showing Tennis all afternoon, and then showing highlights of all 4 sets of Shorts this evening.

Eurosport 2 International, on the other hand, will be showing the Pairs SP LIVE, with highlights of the Men and Dance in the evening.

Here is a link:

Eurosport 2 International livestream

I'm not going to bother with watching a stream of the Pairs SP. I'm just going to stay with the Warsaw Cup stream I've been watching all day. And then catch the TEB highlights on the TV, supplemented by YouTube videos, this evening.

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

Thanks CaroLiza fan. British Eurosport are now showing REPEATS of the tennis from yesterday: Wawrinka v Tsonga, then Federer v Monfils which I watched yesterday. Great matches. But why show repeats when we could be live at Bordeaux for the skating? Must be something to do with tennis being more popular than skating!!

Ilvskating

Final Flight
How long have Wang/Wang been working together? They have wondeful chemistry and connection with each other and I don't even know that they're 10 years apart. I also like S/H's sassy attitude and big throw, great transitions in and out of the tricks but they seem to get more subdued lately.

I believe this is the second season they compete together. The girl was a single skater before paired up with Lei Wang. The Singing in the Rain was performed by Lei Wang with his previous partner in season 2011-2012. So They should have skated together for two years or a bit longer.

Last edited: