2014 Trophée Eric Bompard Mens SP 11/21 | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2014 Trophée Eric Bompard Mens SP 11/21

Dots

Final Flight
Are you guys kidding me?

The shirt gave him that extra edginess to help him sell the flirty nature of the program. He may be a man, but that shirt gave him an air of sensuality and sex appeal.

These judges were too busy clutching their pearls to score him correctly. It was brilliant!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Are you guys kidding me?

The shirt gave him that extra edginess to help him sell the flirty nature of the program. He may be a man, but that shirt gave him an air of sensuality and sex appeal.

These judges were too busy clutching their pearls to score him correctly. It was brilliant!

Now who's kidding who? :laugh:

That shirt did not match with 1940s classic swing. His original outfit was far better. Today he look like he was going to an EDM festival.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Are you guys kidding me?

Now that is a funny mental image :laugh2:

noskates

Record Breaker
I don't understand Kovtun's score. Like, how did he get 77 with 2 falls on jumping passes in the SP?

If you get the answer to that maybe you could share how Hanyu took a silver with FIVE falls in the long program. There is a major gap in this judging system!!!!

Was very impressed with Denis Ten. I finally just finished watching the Men's SP and he looked really, really good. I didn't like Adam's costume AT ALL. Agree that the one he wore before was more fitting to the music. (and what the heck did he do to his hair?????) I still think Machida is wayyyy too dramatic and he doesn't need to be. The hands and the arms are just OTT. But I think if he skates clean and Ten skates clean they're both going to give Hanyu a run for his money. Both, to me, are such more complete skaters than Hanyu.

Meoima

Match Penalty
To be fair if all the top men go clean, the one with higher BV and GOE should win. But rarely we see all the top men clean. :hijacked:

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist

If this is the case, that it's more psychological than physical, then I think it's actually great that Han Yan competed. The more he skates and competes without a collision the more he'll teach his brain that it's okay - he can skate with a healthy amount of awareness of others but WITHOUT being on high alert. And the more his brain relearns that, the less anxious he'll feel.

(Sorry, I'm a therapist and just had to jump in with my two cents on this. Bravo for bravery, Han!)

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I'm really sorry to hear about Ricky's food poisoning, ugh I've been cheering for him, he's won me over

Denis Ten was fantastic though, somehow even with that music, the vocals didn't overpower him, fantastic, love his K&C though with the bear, not a fan of Frank Carroll but when he laughed at Denis it was cute :3

peg

Medalist
If this is the case, that it's more psychological than physical, then I think it's actually great that Han Yan competed. The more he skates and competes without a collision the more he'll teach his brain that it's okay - he can skate with a healthy amount of awareness of others but WITHOUT being on high alert. And the more his brain relearns that, the less anxious he'll feel.

(Sorry, I'm a therapist and just had to jump in with my two cents on this. Bravo for bravery, Han!)
Very good point!

cruzceleste

Record Breaker

Thank yo for your professional opinion :)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I was very happy for Ten!!! Hopefully he will skate a great fs, too. I´d suppose he and Machida will do the battle of gold medal.... Based on his earlier GP fs, my guess is that Menshov will drop down again. He did great jumps in sp, but otherwise the programme was empty choreographially. I really like Kovtun´s "Bolero" and he interprets it well. Hopefully the jumps will be present at the fs for him to get into GPF. There are though several skaters who are quite near the bronze medal. FS will be exciting!!! Dornbush had a beautiful skate, I´m really starting to like his skating this season.

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Menshov's program was empty and Kovtun's wasn't? Ok...

Somehow these threads always make me think of the old story about the blind men and the elephant. ;)

treeloving

Medalist
I think Machida score really reflect the failure of COP, his touch down on a luzt is almost penalize as a fall. Fall really should be more punished.

Last edited:

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I think Machida score really reflect the failure of COP, his touch down on a luzt is almost penalize as a fall. Fall really should be more punished.

Well to be totally honest, I wondered many times why hand down is not penalized as a fall actually. If skater will not put hand down in most situations like that he will fall , and hand down is just saving him. But every situation is diffrent. Sometimes it is slight hand down that doesn't make too much diffrence, and sometimes it saves from totally falling

Last edited:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker

Well to be totally honest, I wondered many times why hand down is not penalized as a fall actually. If skater will not put hand down in most situations like that he will fall , and hand down is just saving him. But every situation is diffrent. Sometimes it is slight hand down that doesn't make too much diffrence, and sometimes it saves from totally falling

I like both of your points. A hand down is nearly a fall & I think it should be notably penalized, but ideally not as much as a full-blown fall. And it does depend on the jump. Sometimes the hand comes down when it looks like it didn't really need to (in order to stay upright), but other times the jump's landing is all over the place & the hand is really what saves the day.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker

Dick Button has an interesting chapter in his book named: "What's a Fall (In case you didn't know!)?" Essentially he said it's up to the judges to decide for themselves each time because the ISU rules aren't clear enough since there are too many variables that can come into play. So essentially you could have a hand-down one time count as a fall, but not for another. :confused2:

I like both of your points. A hand down is nearly a fall & I think it should be notably penalized, but ideally not as much as a full-blown fall. And it does depend on the jump. Sometimes the hand comes down when it looks like it didn't really need to (in order to stay upright), but other times the jump's landing is all over the place & the hand is really what saves the day.

I agree that they're should be a difference, but above I point out that there are some problems with that.

This reminds me of gymnastics where falling off the balance beam is a -1.0 deduction. However, if you place your hand on the beam in order to not completely fall off, that is only a -0.5 deduction. It's kind of funny because sometimes there comes along a gymnast who actually touches the beam and temporarily saves her fall, but ends up falling off anyway before doing another element enquiring a deduction for both the hand down and the fall (a total of -1.5) which is actually pretty harsh.

These are things that we have to live with I guess, unless someone comes up with an efficient rule.