2014 Trophée Eric Bompard Free Dance 11/22 | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2014 Trophée Eric Bompard Free Dance 11/22

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Judges ridiculously overscoring some teams it is not even funny. :disagree: Gilles/Poirier got seasons best (95 points) for that free dance (!?), better than relatively good performance in home event (being in home usually adds least 5 points to total score) Please.. :rolleye: Even Papadakis/Cizeron looks underscored next to Gilles/Poirier.:rolleye:

I see only acceptable judging in Cup of China. NHK doesn't have strong ice dance team either. So maybe judges can score what they see on ice. Program components in mens, ladies and pairs returned to normal after Olympic judging. Only in ice dance they are continue to score skaters like we are in olympic year. Please, we don't have limitless program components. If you give 7.79 skating skills to G/P now, what you will give them when they really deserve that mark? :rolleye:

G&P's FD was strong except for the twizzle issue that Piper had. Tracy Wilson said at Skate Canada that she thinks it's the best FD G&P have ever done and that they deserve high marks for it. I agree that it was a few points higher than it probably should have been. I would have given it 90 instead of 95. It's obviously not as distinctive as their 'Hitchcock' FD last year, but it seems the judges prefer more traditional programs.

I get the sense that on a similar note, the judges may not be that fond of the music that Hubbell & Donohue are using for their FD. The Great Gatsby soundtrack (the film with Leonardo DiCaprio from a couple years ago) has a few nice moments, but I think the second half of the music is problematic and it's hard to relate the music to what is happening on the ice. How does what they are skating to relate to The Great Gatsby? It reminds me a bit of the FD music that Orford & Williams skated to last year from 'Phantom of the Opera 2' -- it may get a bit grating on the judges' ears at times.

I do think that Papadakis & Cizeron had the most beautiful & lyrical program here. It almost had an ethereal quality at times and seemed very smooth and flowing. The music & the choreography together really work very nicely. I'm a little surprised at how high they have moved ahead in the scores this year since they are now vaulting ahead of teams they finished behind at Worlds just a few months ago. They finished behind not just G&P at Worlds, but also P&I. They've definitely improved since moving to Montreal, but should they really be moving up this quickly?

Meanwhile, the judges seem to be having trouble with what to do with Paul & Islam. As we discussed last season, these two have a very nice style at times, and Alexandra in particular has a nice balletic posture from her ballet training which gives her some similarities to Tessa Virtue. But they still need a more distinctive choreography & style which will allow them to stand out more. I think that's what the judges are looking for.

Alba

Record Breaker
Judges ridiculously overscoring some teams it is not even funny. :disagree: Gilles/Poirier got seasons best (95 points) for that free dance (!?), better than relatively good performance in home event (being in home usually adds least 5 points to total score) Please.. :rolleye: Even Papadakis/Cizeron looks underscored next to Gilles/Poirier.:rolleye:

I see only acceptable judging in Cup of China. NHK doesn't have strong ice dance team either. So maybe judges can score what they see on ice. Program components in mens, ladies and pairs returned to normal after Olympic judging. Only in ice dance they are continue to score skaters like we are in olympic year. Please, we don't have limitless program components. If you give 7.79 skating skills to G/P now, what you will give them when they really deserve that mark? :rolleye:

I was listening to italian commentators on Eurosport. They said the same thing but for all couples, P&C included.

I get the sense that on a similar note, the judges may not be that fond of the music that Hubbell & Donohue are using for their FD. The Great Gatsby soundtrack (the film with Leonardo DiCaprio from a couple years ago) has a few nice moments, but I think the second half of the music is problematic and it's hard to relate the music to what is happening on the ice. How does what they are skating to relate to The Great Gatsby? It reminds me a bit of the FD music that Orford & Williams skated to last year from 'Phantom of the Opera 2' -- it may get a bit grating on the judges' ears at times.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I had no idea that their FD is related to The Great Gatsby. Not even a hint.
Maybe the costumes doesn't help as well? :confused:
Anyway, at the moment I don't like their FD at all. Maybe it will grow later.

Last edited:

fairly4

Medalist
good job to all medalist.

Hubbell and Donohue/ -sorry I keep forgetting them. I thought they did fine and was undermarked a bit and
Gilles and Poirer was overmarked . sorry from my persepective of t.v. I would have put Hubble/Donohue 2nd in free and Gilles/Poirer 3rd.

Papadkis and Cizeron for me I thought the score you got here, you should have got at Cup of China and Cup of China Score here at teb.

congrats to all skaters for doing well.

Ice Diva

On the Ice
Why are you lying down and laughing at this? It's not that funny.

I'm lying down laughing because MarieM (who loves to use the word "crap" in various forms) is making such ludicrous statements that all can do is roll on the floor & have a good belly laugh. Perhaps I'm so obtuse that I don't recognize irony?;)

wasabi

On the Ice
I do think that Papadakis & Cizeron had the most beautiful & lyrical program here. It almost had an ethereal quality at times and seemed very smooth and flowing. The music & the choreography together really work very nicely. I'm a little surprised at how high they have moved ahead in the scores this year since they are now vaulting ahead of teams they finished behind at Worlds just a few months ago. They finished behind not just G&P at Worlds, but also P&I. They've definitely improved since moving to Montreal, but should they really be moving up this quickly?

Hard for you to accept that someone is coming out ahead of your faves???