What NHK skaters need for GPF | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What NHK skaters need for GPF

slider11

Medalist
I think Gracie has much more to offer than Polina. Polina's performance is still junior-ish, in my opinion but she will certainly continue to develop. But for now, Gracie provides a sophisticated presence. Gracie just needs to keep the jumps consistent. I'm rooting for her at NHK. It's time for a career defining performance!

peg

Medalist
I wish he would stay out of NHK and watch the bloobath in GPF at home through TV.

I agree. This whole thing of competing while injured is silly. IMO, he actually added to his injuries by competing at CoC. Had he withdrawn then, he might have been healthier for NHK. Now a good chunk of his season might be affected.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I want Gracie to qualify for the final, or Polina, if not both:) I just want talented skaters to get their deserved spots.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I hope JSF will take care that Hanyu will not be allowed to compete before he is completely healed. My guess is that athletes themselves may be willing to take unnecessary risks By coming on the ice too early, but the federation should prevent it.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I hope JSF will take care that Hanyu will not be allowed to compete before he is completely healed. My guess is that athletes themselves may be willing to take unnecessary risks, but the federation should prevent it.
Yuzuru hasn't decided yet. But apparently it seems JSF doesn't prevent him from anything: http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2014/11/22/kiji/K20141122009326460.html

Kobayashi from JSF: "Yuzuru has the right to participate until he refuses."

I don't know what do they expect, they haven't substituted any skater in his place yet, which means they would love to see him shows up.

To be fair I can understand, since without Yuzuru, TV rating for NHK might be down.:unsure:

But seriously... he is having 5 different injuries all over his body!! :disapp:

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I can understand why Yuzuru has star power, but I would hope Japanese viewers would tune in to see their other skaters, too. Mura could easily turn out to be the #1 man this year, the way things are going.

Please Yuzuru, do the right thing and withdraw so we can see you skate in good condition later. Just look at Han Yan's results at TEB. I know they are 2 different people with totally different characters, but neither one is superhuman.

Last edited:
Country
Russia
Let's make the last event more explicitly interesting.

Ladies

spots taken:
1)Radionova (30)
2)Tuktamysheva (28)
3)Pogorilaya (28)
4)Lipnitskaya (26)

In at the moment:
5)Wagner (24) 363.74
6)Hongo (22) (Unlikely to make it)

NHK options:
- Miyahara needs to finish at least second with 182.00 total.
- Gold needs to finish at least second with 184.37 total.
- Murakami needs to finish at least second with 194.36 total.
- Edmunds needs to finish first.
- Daleman unlikely to make it.

Murakami has a chance being first. To be second with score 194.36 - it looks almost impossible. So high score and only second?
Miyahara may be second with score 182.00 or higher.

Most probably I believe two spots will earn:
Miyahara and Wagner
or
Miyahara and Gold.

If JSF will "play some games" (like NHK-2012, when Mao with 3 triples in FS was higher in Total than Akiko with 7 triples in FS), possible is
Murakami and Miyahara.

All other combinations are much less probable.

Last edited:
Country
Russia
Pairs

spots taken:
1)Stolbova\Klimov (30)
2)Sui\Han (26)
3)Peng\Zhang (26)

In at the moment:
4)Tarasova\Morozov (24)
5)Wang\Wang (22) (Unlikely to make it)
6)Danney\Frazier (22) (Unlikely to make it)

NHK options:
- Duhamel\Radford unlikely to finish lower than 4th here.
- Kavaguti\Smirnov unlikely to finish lower than 4th here.
- Yu\Jin need to finish at least 3rd with 175.91 total score.
- Bazarova\Deputat unlikely to finish first here.

I.e. most probably two spots will be for Duhamel\Radford and Kavaguti\Smirnov. Excellent pairs, fully deserving GPF.
Third spot - for Tarasova\Morozov or Yu\Jin with about the same chance for both pairs.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
I think it will come down to Gold and Miyahara. Miyahara will def have some hometown advantage and if she goes clean in both SP+LP, we can bet her score can go at least 5-8 higher.

I'll be gutted if Hanyu skates like Han. He is more fragile than Han, but he has better fighting spirit, so i'm rooting for Hanyu to have a decent skates. Both skaters should have withdrawn COC.

Country
Russia
I think it will come down to Gold and Miyahara. Miyahara will def have some hometown advantage and if she goes clean in both SP+LP, we can bet her score can go at least 5-8 higher.
Miyahara - yes.

Gold - nobody knows, will she earn score enough to overcome Wagner's score of two Events.
Or she may even be below Edmunds.

I'll be gutted if Hanyu skates like Han. He is more fragile than Han, but he has better fighting spirit, so i'm rooting for Hanyu to have a decent skates. Both skaters should have withdrawn COC.
Hanyu most probably will earn the spot. His fighting spirit and hometown advantage - it probably will be enough.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm thinking Polina can play spoiler. It's unlikely that she'll have the same disastrous SP as her last GP outing (fall on the 3Z, and no combo). I also expect her to have a more consistent FS than Gold. I really should be putting Miyahara as the winner as far as predictions go, but it's hard to say if the judges will nail her for URs.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States

I agree with above and hope that Hanyu doesn't further damage himself.

I am rooting for Kavaguti/Smirnov to get in; also I/Z!

As far as the ladies, I don't care whether it's Gold or Wagner....neither of them is likely to podium (let's not forget - 4 Russians who are pretty unbeatable!)

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
As far as the ladies, I don't care whether it's Gold or Wagner....neither of them is likely to podium (let's not forget - 4 Russians who are pretty unbeatable!)

I would deem Radionova pretty unbeatable at the moment, Tukta is pretty solid at the moment but not unbeatable,
You still assume she'll probably medal though, I would say at least one medal could go to a non Russian with Lips going
through stuff and Pogs under performing in Russia and also the lowest scorer of the bunch.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think Radionova's PCS hasn't got to a point where I'd call her unbeatable. But given her incredible consistency, she's certainly the heavy favourite. And her PCS is starting to rise with it. Come the end of the season, she very well could be unbeatable. Which is fine with me... it's nice to see a consistent skater who does maxed out tech content in a post-Olympics season, when so many times it's been mediocrity (where 5 triples is enough for gold at Worlds) the year after an Olympics.

treeloving

Medalist
I wish Edmund win and go to GPF. For me, she has a subtle LP and it is one of the most interesting program this season.

Last edited:

Olympic

On the Ice
I agree that the final 2 will come down to Miyahara and Gold / Wagner. The JSF is too busy putting their politic power behind Miyahara to also prop up Murakami, and that won't even work if they were to attempt that when the top U.S. lady is also going to be in the same competition.

I also doubt we will see a scenario where Murakami wins or both Miyahara and Murakami score above 195 points. It will depend on whether a caller wants to nail Miyahara for UR's or not in Japan. Her score was through the roof in the LP at the Japan Open, but despite being relatively clean at SC, she was beaten by Wagner.

Regarding Edmonds, there is always a chance if she is clean. It depends on if she is clean and if her lips on the flip are 'a thing' now, or it was just a bad call at CoC.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
I don't give a chance to Murakami to win or finish in second place.Probably Satoko and Gracie will be on top 2, at this point numbers are really important.But I am thinking on a different scenario : if Polina can find a place herself between Satoko and Gracie that means Ashley and winner of NHK can pack their bags to Barcelona.
There are actually several options for Ashley (check my thread in the GPF forum). Satoko and Gracie can be 1 & 2 and she can still go provided she wins the 2nd tie breaker on total GP score.

SkatingFun

Rinkside
I agree that the final 2 will come down to Miyahara and Gold / Wagner. The JSF is too busy putting their politic power behind Miyahara to also prop up Murakami, and that won't even work if they were to attempt that when the top U.S. lady is also going to be in the same competition.

I also doubt we will see a scenario where Murakami wins or both Miyahara and Murakami score above 195 points. It will depend on whether a caller wants to nail Miyahara for UR's or not in Japan. Her score was through the roof in the LP at the Japan Open, but despite being relatively clean at SC, she was beaten by Wagner.

Regarding Edmonds, there is always a chance if she is clean. It depends on if she is clean and if her lips on the flip are 'a thing' now, or it was just a bad call at CoC.

whoever attended CoC practice sessions knew that how much better Polina can deliver than Yulia and other skaters, the criminal judge panel just simply knock her out intentionally so low on her SP to give Zero chance for her to beat Yulia. Yulia was horrible during all practice sessions, she completely lost her 3Lz.

All those speeds and skating skills can only be judged or watched when all skaters on the ice same time during practice, you can view who is slower.

These are precise reports from a skating professional in China...