Entries at 2015 US Figure Skating Championships Now Known | Golden Skate

Entries at 2015 US Figure Skating Championships Now Known

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Sylvia at Unseen Skaters has collected the scores and listed the skaters that are going to nationals on her Nationals page.

http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/nationals/

She lists all 4 disciplines down through novices.

It's a handy reference for figuring out how things might go at Nationals.

In the case of pairs and dance teams, she has a category called "did not choose to skate." Her delicate wording makes me wonder whether there is a possibility that some of these teams may be at Nationals under some arcane rule that I don't know.

LiLiGirl1

Rinkside
Thanks for the post. I was looking forward to seeing Donlan/Bartholomay compete. Hope you are right about the possibility of an arcane rule.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
"Elected not to compete" is usually when there are four or fewer teams in a section. Since all teams would automatically advance, they are given the choice to compete or not. The same thing sometimes happens with men at regionals since there aren't that many at each.

ETA: Reference from the USFSA rulebook - 2511, on the page numbered 116

2511: Four/12 or Fewer Rule: Competitors in any event at a sectional championship may progress directly to the U.S. Figure Skating Championships if, at the closing date for entries, there are four or fewer competitors in their event within their section or 12 or fewer competitors in their event in all sections combined.

Last edited:

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Thanks Chemistry!

Though one thing confuses me. Sylvia lists the Senior Dance teams, showing 10 competing at Sectionals and 3 electing not to compete. This doesn't work out, because that gives 13 teams (not including byes) and that shouldn't happen with no fill up rule application. I asked Sylvia to clarify so hopefully she'll reply soon.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, I wondered too, which is why I punted about what "chose not to compete" meant.

I do wonder about Gropman & Sommerville in junior dance, too. I don't think they compete at Nationals, any more than Barbie Long does :cry:

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Yes, I wondered too, which is why I punted about what "chose not to compete" meant.

I do wonder about Gropman & Sommerville in junior dance, too. I don't think they compete at Nationals, any more than Barbie Long does :cry:

I find Gropman/Somerville not getting to compete more frustrating than Long, despite the teensy point gap for Long. At least for her, she's not the only Sectionals competitor in Senior Ladies that's not going to Nationals.

ETA: Not that both situations don't suck.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thanks for the post. I was looking forward to seeing Donlan/Bartholomay compete. Hope you are right about the possibility of an arcane rule.

Donlan/Bartholomay received a bye to 2015 Nationals, per the official USFS list of qualifiers.

Though one thing confuses me. Sylvia lists the Senior Dance teams, showing 10 competing at Sectionals and 3 electing not to compete. This doesn't work out, because that gives 13 teams (not including byes) and that shouldn't happen with no fill up rule application. I asked Sylvia to clarify so hopefully she'll reply soon.

The official USFS list does show that 13 Senior Dance teams from Sectionals qualified for Nats.
(But I don't know why.)

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
I have to ask.

What is the "fill up rule" mentioned in this tweet?

When there are less than 4 skaters/couples in one section (counting those who elect not to compete) and less than 12 total skaters/couples from top 4 in the other sections and byes combined, they will "fill up" the nationals roster to 12 by taking the bext placed teams from the remaining sectionals to reach 12. They can go over 12 if there's two teams with equal placement at the two remaining Sectionals.

Like for Junior Pairs, Pacific Coasts had 2 teams elect not to compete, and there is one team with a bye because of the JGPF. Thise three plus 4 from Easterns and 4 from Mids only makes 11 teams total. So they would go to the 5th place teams, and since both Easterns and Mids have a 5th team, both make it to Nationals even though it puts the total to 13. If one section had a 5th and a 6th while the other had none, only the 5th team would qualify under fill up.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
New to figure skating here. What is a BYE?

Skaters need to qualify to skate in International and Nationsl events. You can do so in many ways like GP results, World Ranking, minimum TES requirements met. Anyway...if you pre-qualify so to speak then you receive a bye into the event. In other words you bypass the qualification rounds like sectionals and regionals. :)

Last edited:
Country
Russia
Skaters need to qualify to skate in International and Nationsl events. You can do so in many ways like GP results, World Ranking, minimum TES requirements met. Anyway...if you pre-qualify so to speak then you receive a bye into the event. In other words you bypass the qualification rounds like sectionals and regionals. :)
In USA BYE have skaters/couples who earned highest places at previous Nationals (top five?), and skaters/couples who have Internationals at same time as Regionals/Sectionals.

Best skaters go to Nationals at most by Bye, not by quialfying system.
But qualifying system is very important - new good skaters go to Nationals by it.

Alex D

Record Breaker
Sylvia at Unseen Skaters has collected the scores and listed the skaters that are going to nationals on her Nationals page.

In the case of pairs and dance teams, she has a category called "did not choose to skate." Her delicate wording makes me wonder whether there is a possibility that some of these teams may be at Nationals under some arcane rule that I don't know.

Thanks for the list and post.

I assume it will be broadcasted in TV again?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thanks, Doris! BTW, I have my wire bound media guide with the major players' pages that show all of their specs and a lovely color pic, which I purchased at great expense. And, being high up in the ranks of the USFS (smirk) I also have the same 167 page guide on PDF, which I could put on my phone/tablet/desktop/bag phone, whatever. But what I don't have is an Adobe Acrobat editor.
So, for instance, hypothetically speaking, of course, I could take the official USFS PDF page with Mariah Bell's info on it, and add her scores from Sectionals . And, if I had an infinite amount of time, I could add a graph showing the growth of her scores over the years...and maybe my pic I have with Mariah....and do this for all my favorite skaters....and make my own ChrisGuide.
All, if I had a PDF editor.
Is there on the web a generic PDF editor you like that even a caveman can use?
Hypothetical Chris